Stihl MS044 Mag VS MS390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodblazer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What a Deal!
My buddy at the local Stihl dealer FINALLY let me out the shop back door with two saws that were not claimed by customers after being told that they were toast. He had me wait at least six months before letting them out.
Here is my plan, I want to fix both, eBay one to fund both,and keep one to mod a little and take out my frustrations on firewood.
Question,,, which one to keep??
The MS 390 appears to have been run on straight gas, top end is shot for sure,but is very clean and intact otherwise.A top end and she is ready.
The MS 044 Mag is tattered,The top end might clean up and get by with a piston and rings.The tank has been fiber glassed, and needs a new or a better one. The rest is there, just well used and needs some TLC.
If both were repaired, and sitting side by side, which one to keep, and which one to sell?
The MS390, with a jug kit,is a quick fix,and since it requires the least effort,sell it, it would maybe sell easier because it looks better now, and is newer.
The 044 Mag, has my heart's desire though.I see it with a oversize jug kit to bump up it to a 046,with a little port cleanup and muffler mod.
Am I on the right track? Or should I keep the cleaner,newer MS 039?
I probably could get the 044 cheaply running with a piston.Throw it out there and hope for enough money to fund the 390 top end?
You might ask, what is intended purpose?
Play toy! I just like to make sawdust fly.I drive around looking for tree piles by the roadside to garnish logs for whittling on.I restored a Husky 288 XP last year,and sold it, having sellers remorse ever since!
Let the experts steer me here! Yea I know I should keep both!!:greenchainsaw:
Danny

No brainer. Keep the 044. Sell the 390.

Also in terms of effort and cash and return on investment, the 044 will be less money, easier to fix, and worth more in the end. So I would off the 390 on Ebay as a burded up saw. Probably get $150 for it. Fund the 044 BB complete engine kit and tank, and have your go to saw.

Last edited:
No brainer. Keep the 044. Sell the 390.

Also in terms of effort and cash and return on investment, the 044 will be less money, easier to fix, and worth more in the end. So I would off the 390 on Ebay as a burded up saw. Probably get $150 for it. Fund the 044 BB complete engine kit and tank, and have your go to saw.

No question +1

Well,my heart was intent on the 44,it is just crying for that TLC!
I do have a box of 084 parts,maybe I can barter for what I need for the 044.
Did I mention he gave me the saws?
Danny

And now for something completely different. Ebay both,with your buddies blessing, and use the money to buy a brand new 361 or 441 or something that suits you. :cheers:

What a Deal!
My buddy at the local Stihl dealer FINALLY let me out the shop back door with two saws that were not claimed by customers after being told that they were toast. He had me wait at least six months before letting them out.
Here is my plan, I want to fix both, eBay one to fund both,and keep one to mod a little and take out my frustrations on firewood.
Question,,, which one to keep??
The MS 390 appears to have been run on straight gas, top end is shot for sure,but is very clean and intact otherwise.A top end and she is ready.
The MS 044 Mag is tattered,The top end might clean up and get by with a piston and rings.The tank has been fiber glassed, and needs a new or a better one. The rest is there, just well used and needs some TLC.
If both were repaired, and sitting side by side, which one to keep, and which one to sell?
The MS390, with a jug kit,is a quick fix,and since it requires the least effort,sell it, it would maybe sell easier because it looks better now, and is newer.
The 044 Mag, has my heart's desire though.I see it with a oversize jug kit to bump up it to a 046,with a little port cleanup and muffler mod.
Am I on the right track? Or should I keep the cleaner,newer MS 039?
I probably could get the 044 cheaply running with a piston.Throw it out there and hope for enough money to fund the 390 top end?
You might ask, what is intended purpose?
Play toy! I just like to make sawdust fly.I drive around looking for tree piles by the roadside to garnish logs for whittling on.I restored a Husky 288 XP last year,and sold it, having sellers remorse ever since!
Let the experts steer me here! Yea I know I should keep both!!:greenchainsaw:
Danny

Is that a 044 with a 440 tank/handle? I can't see the oil cap in the pictures...is it the flip-top style like the fuel cap? I'm not sure, but I thought only the 440's came with the flip-top fuel and oil caps. Just curious.

Kevin

Is that a 044 with a 440 tank/handle? I can't see the oil cap in the pictures...is it the flip-top style like the fuel cap? I'm not sure, but I thought only the 440's came with the flip-top fuel and oil caps. Just curious.

Kevin

Yah, its a hybrid saw. 044 top and 440 tanks. I have a 250/025 hybrid myself. The tank/body is a 250, the rest is mostly 025.

As for the free part, yah cannot beat that price!

Yep, the oil tank also is flip top cap.
Thanks guys,these things are just what I needed to know.
I am also glad the average eBay buyer has never heard of Arborsite.com!
Only the enlightened ones.
As for the free part, you hear about those,and yesterday was my day!
I have another buddy that just bought two SP 125's complete for $50 each!
Maybe I can trade him one for a wounded 390?

Another vote for the 044, but if it was me I'd keep both and fix them as funds allow.
A person who truly had CAD wouldn't be able to get enough saws

The truly evil way of doing it would be to clean up the 390, order a new top ring for it, put it back together, and flip it on eBay, complete with youtube video of starting it and cutting something. If you're lucky, the buyer will never put enough hours on it to have it go bad again.

It is a good thing that I am not that evil!
The more I think about it,since I have found a good candidate to build up,this is a good reason to sell off 3 or 4 of the basket case mid size saws collecting dust in my shop.Clean up shop and use the money to get this working.
Gotta have a plan,anyway.
Danny

Latest posts

Back