stihl ms200t oil leak location problem solved

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davethetreeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
my first focus was the dirty bar oil resevoir tank vent. even after i cleaned it up i still had a leak...overnight it would leak the whole tank...not fun...especially because it soaked the clutch and brake w/ oil..... so i tore it down to the oil pump...still very hard to tell exactly where it was coming from. i swapped out the bar oil for automotive transmission fluid a nice red oil that i can see. Drilled two 1/16 holes very carefully into the nylon worm gear part #(1129-640-7100)just outside the bushing in between the lugs. then i pushed paper clips through the holes bending them off at right angles because your going to need to pull on the gear as you push it into the pump with a gloved hand. spinning it clockwise with your powerdrill the gear will want to jump out...start slow and let the paper clips wind up a bit.. now if you properly cleaned up your powerhead you will be able to see if the pump is pumping...and where the leaks are... the rubber right angle connector i popped out with my torx driver was the problem spot...i used rtv sealant to patch things up..though it gets messy quick ...and depending on the temperature it could set up too fast to do a good job.carefull no to clog the port..i recomend a new part (1129-647-5701). oh and dont forget to place the ignition wire behind the pump when rebuilding especially if you use the RTV. oh and i video taped it for your convenience

YouTube - ‪20110219230313.mpg‬‏

YouTube - ‪20110220000423.mpg‬‏

YouTube - ‪20110219230506.mpg‬‏

YouTube - ‪20110220000227.mpg‬‏

200t
338xpt
372xp

Nice test!

This test is a great way to find leaks on the 020. Not sure if it works for others, but it's a great test for this saw. Thanks for sharing dave the tree man!

Back