stihl ms210 Modifications?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok I'm new to messing with saws but not new to 2 strokes.I have ms210 and would like just a bit more out of it.Is milling the head a bit out of the question?What bout cleaning up the ports a bit in the cylinder.Another thing is the chain on this is terrible,is there a better chain I can run on such a small saw?The muffler mod I see people doing on larger saws.is this a option on this one.I'm very good with a wrench and have built a lot of 2 stroke motors.If I were to port id imagine just basically cleaning the casting is all id be doing.Anyone have any pics of muffler mods on a 210.What bout the chain and bar am I stuck with what is or is there options.Thanks Aaron

what ever you do don't expect big results, a new chain and a 16'' is about as much as i would waste into it

what ever you do don't expect big results, a new chain and a 16'' is about as much as i would waste into it

Not looking for big gains just a bit more efficiant and chain that will last and cut a bit better.Any suggestions on brands of chains,bar what size etc.and where's a good place to get them through.Dealer here will only sell me the stock safety chain.What all would I need to purchase?

The design of the 210 is what they call a clamshell. Milling and porting is a pain on these. Do a muffler mod, if your not happy then, I'd get a bigger saw. What kind of chain is on it now?

You can not mill the head on that saw. It is a blind cylinder (head is made to cylinder). Not much you can do on the ports either for they are the open port design. You can raise the exhaust port, muffler mod, tune your carb, and try running some Oregon 91VXL chain. Good luck.

Thanks guys,it has the factory chain and bar.Where would I look for a bar,I assume my bar won't work with a different chain.I haven't even so much as looked at the cylinder yet,that's why I was thinking bout milling and porting.|ny pics of the muffler mods.I sure apreciate the help.

I'm not familiar with the 210 muffler. I'd start by drilling a couple 5/16" holes in the muffler as straight inline with the exhaust port as possible. You will have to remove the limiter caps off the adj. screws and richen it up some. That's the basics behind a muff mod.... letting it breath. Like I mentioned, I never worked on a 210 muff, so I ain't much help.

Back