Stihl MS250 or 026..Which should I keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbob72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought an ms250 about four months ago used. It is in really good shape. Today, unbelievably, I bought an 026 at a garage sale for 100 dollars. I can't believe the guy sold it for that. It looks to be in pretty good shape, and starts very easy. I do not need two chain saws, and need to sell one. Which should I sell? The newer 250 or older 026. I use the chain saw for clearing land and cutting firewood.

If it was me, I would thoroughly inspect the 026 to make sure there are no nasty surprises. Once it receives the clean bill of health ditch the ms250. There are a lot people who will buy one thinking "its a Stihl its gotta be the best" not knowing that its a low-end model. The 026 on the other hand is a high-quality saw. Its going to have a lot more muscle than your 250 and last a lot longer. But do your part and make damn sure its good-to-go before selling the 250.

No contest.

Check compression on the 026, and if it's good, send the 250 down the river.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If you compare the two saws against each other by breaking them down into their separate components you'll find the 026 wins by a long shot. Compare cylinder quality, quality of the cases, oilers, brake assemblies, the list goes on...

You can never have too many... Keep them both!!! I know that I have seen some people that have pinched their main saw in wood and used their back up saw to get the other saw out... Really it has never happened to me.....:msp_rolleyes: LOL!!!!!! Keep it and join the club. CAD is a fun thing, but bad for the wallet... ENJOY!!!

thanks for the good info

Thanks everyone for the good info so far. I am just a little bit worried about the 026 being older. It would have to be at least 10 or 11 years old, right? Vs. the 250 being a few years old. I think that so far, I will keep the 026 and sell the 250.

Plumbob.

I would keep the 026. Don't worry about the age. My buddy runs an 026 as a ground saw all week, 9 months out of the year. Thats the beauty of a pro constructed saw as well. They are easier to work on when something needs to be replaced.

like dieselram said, keep em both. Everbody needs a chainsaw, and everbody needs at least 4-17 backup saws, so your almost at a point where you have an adequate amount of saws in your garage :rock:

Im thinking keep the 250. Clean up the 026 as it will bring more $ in resale value. A good 026 will always sell and sometimes for a premium. Reality is unless you're intending to turn "pro" where you intend to run 40-70 cutting hours a week, every week, you might not NEED a pro saw. You can get a lot of good hours out of a cheap 250, you can get a heck of a lot more out of a 026...if you need them.

Latest posts

Back