Stihl MS250 or MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marco said:
Cord a year? Want it to last forever? Budget? Sounds like a job for an XL-12, they keep forever.:chainsaw: MS250 would be a real pain to get 10 years of such limited use out of, you would have to pay real close attention to how you store it or you would have some issues with that fine German enginered Chinese carb the have.
Maybe two cords tops.
MS250 or MS270 is my dilema now though.
I would store it the same way I store every other gas powered machine I own. Clean it, change the oil, add fuel stabilizer. I would think 10 years should't be too hard to achieve.

NapalmDeath said:
Jeff, what do you recommend for bar length. 16" or 18".

I think a 16" would be fine, especially in the 12"-14" wood you describe. And a 16" will still allow you to dismantle 28"+ rounds if absolutely need be. I bought a 250 to send to a friend of mine in Australia, and I was impressed with the quality of the saw for the price. I was pleasantly surpised. The 250 vs. 270 could be a tough one, but I think for the load you're describing, the 250 will be plenty of saw. That said, no one has ever kicked themselves for buying more saw than they think they'll actually need...provided they can afford it, and it's in their price range. I say take the $80 and buy a pair of chaps or something if you don't have some already.

Jeff

NapalmDeath said:
Maybe two cords tops.
MS250 or MS270 is my dilema now though.
I would store it the same way I store every other gas powered machine I own. Clean it, change the oil, add fuel stabilizer. I would think 10 years should't be too hard to achieve.

Changing the oil on a stihl is hard... :laugh:

The most important thing for a homeowner (or anyone that only uses a saw intermittently) is not to store gas in it for extended periods, stabilizer or not. Most of my service work is because of old gas. If you're not going to use it for a few months, run it, then drain the gas, start it again and idle out the remaining carb gas. Now you can store it for a year or more... and don't use gas with alcohol in it...

Thanks to everyone for all of your input and advice, much appreciated. I have ruled out the 290 and its now between the 250 and 270. I plan on buying either one the end of next week so I still have a week to decide on which to get. Whichever one I choose will be a big step up from the Craftsman I used last, and my Father-Inlaws old Echo 440 EVL.
Thanks again, Kev.

Last edited:
Luke said:
I've had both and would not buy either if I had a $350 budget. 250 would probably work but the air filtration, vibe, and power might be a dissapointment. The 290 will feel like a 372 without feeling that much stronger than the 250. Probably get a Husky 353. ....
I agree - the Husky 353 is a much better saw than the MS250. The difference in cutting performance is larger than the difference in the specs indicate, and the differences in anti-vibe and air filtration are huge. The 353 is probably the least costly pro quality saw on the market.:)

If you want to avoid Husky at all cost, the MS270 is closer to pro quality than the 250, and also has better anti-vibe and air filtration - but avoid the CB version, as it discurages proper maintenance of the bar/clutch area of the saw..

Last edited:
NapalmDeath said:
Thanks to everyone for all of your input and advice, much appreciated. I have ruled out the 290 and its now between the 250 and 270. I plan on buying either one the end of next week so I still have a week to decide on which to get. Whichever one I choose will be a big step up from the Craftsman I used last, and my Father-Inlaws old Echo 440 EVL.
Thanks again, Kev.

So little wood as you plan can cut MS250 at any moment, even MS210 and MS230 can do that with no problem. I you want more serious saw get MS270.
My believe is that two piston rings are beter than single of Husq 353

pinus said:
So little wood as you plan can cut MS250 at any moment, even MS210 and MS230 can do that with no problem. I you want more serious saw get MS270.
My believe is that two piston rings are beter than single of Husq 353
I keep going back and forth between the 250 and 270. I can't seem to decide. Since I really don't want to cut anything over 14" the 250 seems like it would suit me fine with the 16" bar at $289. On the other hand, I think someday maybe I might HAVE to cut up some bigger stuff if that's all I can get my hands on, and might not have the luxury of choosing what I want and don't want to cut. I don't totally rely on wood for heat but with the prices of oil these days I may be using my wood stove constantly this winter. So if someone offers a larger tree (say 16" to 20") to me that's bigger than I want but it's all that I can get at the time then I want to have a saw capable of taking care of it without too much difficulty. When I think that way then I shift towards the 270 which I have seen priced at $349 and also at $369 also with a 16" bar. Price would be $10 more for an 18" bar. I'm not sure yet what my dealer is selling them for. I imagine either one would be a good choice regardless.

NapalmDeath said:
I don't totally rely on wood for heat...

You should. I do, and it makes all the difference. After you learn the ups and downs of heating 100% with wood, you can generate a very consistent, comfortable heat. But heating entirely with wood will require more than a cord a year, and more cutting. But, heating entirely with wood will likely save you the difference between the two saws, should you go with the 270, meaning it'll pay for itself. Most of my saws have already. Electric bill of $40/month, vs. $300 a month for me. You do the math...

NapalmDeath said:
I keep going back and forth between the 250 and 270. I can't seem to decide. Since I really don't want to cut anything over 14" the 250 seems like it would suit me fine with the 16" bar at $289. On the other hand, I think someday maybe I might HAVE to cut up some bigger stuff if that's all I can get my hands on, and might not have the luxury of choosing what I want and don't want to cut. I don't totally rely on wood for heat but with the prices of oil these days I may be using my wood stove constantly this winter. So if someone offers a larger tree (say 16" to 20") to me that's bigger than I want but it's all that I can get at the time then I want to have a saw capable of taking care of it without too much difficulty. When I think that way then I shift towards the 270 which I have seen priced at $349 and also at $369 also with a 16" bar. Price would be $10 more for an 18" bar. I'm not sure yet what my dealer is selling them for. I imagine either one would be a good choice regardless.
As fishhuntcutwood said, the house demands more than one cord per winter.
This winter was the second for my MS270 and I made mad (for me) amount of firewood and some amount of logs. Dont know how to put that number into cords but in cubic meters the amount of bucked firewood was around 60-70 m3 (near three winters to heat). Mostly dead pine and spruce some amount of birch and alder.
If the most amount of trees is below 14", go surely with 16" bar, not with 18". I use 18" only for felling of larger stuff. 18" bar is slower-heavier to move doing fast limbing difficultier and prolongs the limbing time a littlebit. At the same time, in the case large logs 18" is better to reach limbs over the log. So long and short bars have the advantages and disadvantages.
If you plan to heat the house, get 270, you hands will thankfull to you, no buzz in them after work.

Last edited:
NapalmDeath said:

Stop nickel and diming yourself.
Cutting one or two cords of wood a year is nothing, the 250 would be fine if you keep that kind of schedule over the years. In fact, you should be able to handle quite a bit more than 1 or 2 cords per year with the 250.
You did speculate already you might cut more. You will regret it if you bought a 250 and then found out later that you need another saw because it is too small for your needs. Then your $300 budget is REALLY blown out of the water.
Just take the leap ahead and get a 270 or a 280, more saw than you need NOW isn't a bad thing at all. I have run a 250 before and feel the 270 or 280 is much better.

On the other side, if you buy the 270 or 280 and feel you need a smaller saw you could always get yourself a small inexpensive saw. I know Poulan is not thought of highly here, but I am in my 11th season with my $139 Poulan from Home Depot. That saw has been absolutely flawless for me. First as my only firewood cutter, now as my limbing saw and small wood cutter.

You probably should go with the 18" bar as you are 6'2" tall. I use 16" bars primarily since I am 5'8" but have other 14" and 18" bars for when I need them.

I went through this 250-270-280 mind eraser in January and February.
I ended up with a 260 Pro instead and am extremely, extremely pleased with it. The saw is awesome and I have cut 11 face cords of wood already with it since March. The saw has paid for itself within a few weeks as a delivered face cord goes for $60-70 around here.

chain saw

If you decide to buy the 250 and then decide you need a larger saw, you can always sell it on e-bay and if last year is any indication, you may get full retail for your used saw.

I have a 250 and even if its Anti-vibe may not be up to par of some of the other saws, I still say it is a good saw that you will not be disappointed in, unless you are planning on using it all day, every day. I also looked into the 290, 260, and 270 saws and could not justify the price increase over the 250 for what I was using it for. If all your doing is about a cord or 2 a year, the 250 will do what you are looking for and is a good choice untill you decide you want a larger saw. At that time you will have some experience with the 250 and will have a better idea if you need something a little larger or a lot larger. I personally would keep the 250 and get a larger saw at that time. As some of the folks say on this site, 2 saws are better than 1, especially if you do a lot of wood cutting.

Nbrcrnchr said:
If you decide to buy the 250 and then decide you need a larger saw, you can always sell it on e-bay and if last year is any indication, you may get full retail for your used saw.

I have a 250 and even if its Anti-vibe may not be up to par of some of the other saws, I still say it is a good saw that you will not be disappointed in, unless you are planning on using it all day, every day. I also looked into the 290, 260, and 270 saws and could not justify the price increase over the 250 for what I was using it for. If all your doing is about a cord or 2 a year, the 250 will do what you are looking for and is a good choice untill you decide you want a larger saw. At that time you will have some experience with the 250 and will have a better idea if you need something a little larger or a lot larger. I personally would keep the 250 and get a larger saw at that time. As some of the folks say on this site, 2 saws are better than 1, especially if you do a lot of wood cutting.
Thanks for the help. I'm going to get the 250 tomorrow. The dilema for me was not about the amount of wood I'll be cutting it was for me about the size of the trees I was concerned with. I'll probably never cut more than two cords of wood per year so the 250 would be fine there. I was mostly wondering weather or not a 250 would be able to handle trees bigger than the 12"-14" size I want to stay with. In case I end up having to cut trees in the 16"-20" range I was thinking I should spend the extra $60-$80 on the 270.

Now you've done your homework, it's the 250 or 270. You're likely to be pleased with the performance of either one. I run an 036 Pro, believe that is nowadays the MS361, not sure...but I heat with wood, maybe 3 cords a year plus the odd cutting for one or the other weekender's cabin to help out one of the 80 to 100 yr. old neighbors I have who have gotten to asking me to "help" them with a standing dead tree [around here what's dying off is blue spruce, the big old ones that run around 30 to 34 inch diam.]. I am the only fulltime resident here in this area. [Oldest neighbor is 102 last Xmas, I keep her in wood because she deserves it. I'm only 56, a youngster to her.] The 036 is more saw, but you aren't cutting those big trees. The bar length doesn't matter. Get whichever you decide, 16" or 18". You can always pick up the other one with a couple loops if you need or want it. We're not talking big money here. I keep different bar lengths around, lots of us do. However, it has not been my experience that I regretted having more Hp or a longer bar once I got it. I used to think I'd never need more than 18", now I run 20" and can't believe I lived without it for 30 yr.

SteveH said:
..... I run an 036 Pro, believe that is nowadays the MS361, not sure....

Well, the 361 replaced the 036/360, but it is a totally different and much better saw....:rockn:

Anyway, I wouldn't want the 250 as my only saw, regardless the size of the wood - there just are too many better 3-cube saws out there.
The 270 is one of them, the Husky 353 another, and both are well worth the price difference compared to the 250....:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Well after going to the shop today I bought the MS270. I had decided on the 250, but after seeing the two of them side by side in person I figured the 270 was worth the extra $60. Seems like with my needs, it will be the first and last saw I'll ever buy hopefully. I won't be able to pick up the saw till Tuesday though. Thanks again for everyones help here. If I had not joined this site and asked alot of questions who knows what I would have bought.:rockn:

NapalmDeath said:
Well after going to the shop today I bought the MS270. I had decided on the 250, but after seeing the two of them side by side in person I figured the 270 was worth the extra $60. Seems like with my needs, it will be the first and last saw I'll ever buy hopefully. I won't be able to pick up the saw till Tuesday though. Thanks again for everyones help here. If I had not joined this site and asked alot of questions who knows what I would have bought.:rockn:

Good choice, the 270 is a real smooth running saw.................

THALL10326 said:
Good choice, the 270 is a real smooth running saw.................
That's what I have heard from all of the responses to my origional question. After I was at the shop yesterday, and I had the two saws there, I kept thinking about how many people here had told me that the 270 was much better saw for the extra few bucks so that also influenced my decision greatly. Alot of people on this forum really seem knowledgeable about saws, and were very helpful to me.
Thanks, Kev.

Last edited:
NapalmDeath said:
Yea that's what I have found out from all of the responses to my origional question. After I was at the shop yesterday and I had the two saws there I kept thinking about how many people here had told me that the 270 was much better saw for the extra few bucks so that also influenced my decision greatly. Alot of people on this forum really seem to know alot about saws.
Thanks, Kev.

I had to call Stihl one evening when I had a customer comparing the 260 and the 270. He like you was undecided on which one and for the life of me I couldn't convince him of either one. So I called for help. The feller at Stihl said the 270 is one of the smoothest running saws Stihl puts out. I relayed that to the customer and it was a done deal. You did good, real good.

Back