Stihl ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLTHEDEERE

This is Koty
Reaction score
anybody here running an ms250? i am needing another limbing saw,and would like to know about this one. good and bad points, anybody have one with a bunch of time on it? any input appreciated..........

I have a friend, and him and his dad run 025s and they run the heck out of them, cut up all their trees with them, and a 017. They have been good saws for them. They have a outdoor wood stove if that tells you how much wood they are burning to heat the water. They also sell a little on the side

I have the 025 which is basically the same saw. I love it. Even though its a homeowner model, it's lite, well built and comfortable in the hands. it has decent anti vibe and i prefer the feel over the 026. Mine is muff modded and really woke it up. I paid $150 for mine used in like new condition and it's been threw a ton of wood so far and pulls a 18" bar with woodland pro .325 chisel excellent. i use mine for limbing and bucking some of the smaller stuff around (up to 14")

If you can get a good deal I say go for it and you should be happy.

If you get one, plan on modding the muffler or put an 025 muffler on it. The opening under the deflector is ALOT larger on the older models. As always, you will get the "we hate homeowner saws" crowd who will tell you they are scrap. There are a couple around here in tree service use that seem to still be running well. Crank seals do fail with age, and you'll want to change the fuel line every few years.

If you get one, plan on modding the muffler or put an 025 muffler on it. The opening under the deflector is ALOT larger on the older models. As always, you will get the "we hate homeowner saws" crowd who will tell you they are scrap. There are a couple around here in tree service use that seem to still be running well. Crank seals do fail with age, and you'll want to change the fuel line every few years.
thanks for the reply, so the 025 muffler flows better? i think i may be able come up w/a 025 muffler.

thanks for the reply, so the 025 muffler flows better? i think i may be able come up w/a 025 muffler.

The newer ones have a 1/4" round opening, the old ones have a 3/4" x 1/2" hole.
Here's my muffler modded mongrel 025/MS250, cutting 24" Red Oak. It had a old fully adjustable carb from a 025, and gutted muffler.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NpsGSieDEOk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NpsGSieDEOk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've had an 023 and 021 and I liked them both. Both were quick revvin little buggers. If i'm not mistaken, the 025/250 is the same saw just with more power. Had I not found this site, I'd probably still be cuttin wood with them.

On a side note, I still have my 024 that I kept throughout all of this CAD and
I like it the best.

As you can see she can even hold her own in 18"-19" softwood if need be.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/83kpVM7Iefw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/83kpVM7Iefw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not a bad saw but not quite as durable as the older 025. Take a look at the Dolmar ps420. Run em both. The little 420 will suprise you. And its built like a pro saw. Not a clamshell

I have a 230 which has cut a lot of wood over the last five years. I get a lot of smaller stuff from a tree service and it seems to be what I use to block a lot of it. Good power for 40cc's and rev like crazy. I know it's only a plastic pos but it works well for what I want. Zero problems so far, I'd buy another one.

Yep, i have a MS250, i don't use it much, but i will say that after i opened up the muffler some it's not a bad saw, the boy uses it all the time and he likes it. It's one of my loaners.

they are good little saws, my buddy has one that has been rode hard and put away wet for prolly 8 or so years and it still runs to this day. heck he even was cutting big rolls of landscaping fabric with it:cheers:

anybody here running an ms250? i am needing another limbing saw,and would like to know about this one. good and bad points, anybody have one with a bunch of time on it? any input appreciated..........

Yeah I have one. Its pretty good power to weight ratio. I haven't found a lighter saw that cuts faster for cheaper yet. (I paid $125 for mine +10 for a new fuel line)

One thing I forgot to mention, is the bar mount. The 1123 series uses a 3005 mount bar which is NOT the same as all of your other bigger Stihl's. Some people get put off by that. I don't do much swapping of bars once I get a saw set up how I like but maybe you do. Good thing is that the 250 has the nads to pull regular .325 chain just fine, so no worries about narrow or lo-pro chain to complicate things. As previously said, run one for a bit and see if you like it.

ive made a cut or two with one and had i not already had a saw smaller and larger i would love to get one. the one i ran was using 325 chisel/semi/safety chain or i sharpened 3 different loops and it was just quick in all three cases. lots of guts for the size.

One thing I forgot to mention, is the bar mount. The 1123 series uses a 3005 mount bar which is NOT the same as all of your other bigger Stihl's. Some people get put off by that. I don't do much swapping of bars once I get a saw set up how I like but maybe you do. Good thing is that the 250 has the nads to pull regular .325 chain just fine, so no worries about narrow or lo-pro chain to complicate things. As previously said, run one for a bit and see if you like it.

why do they have the small mount bars?

why do they have the small mount bars?

That is just the way they did it. The 250 and smaller plus the pole chainsaws use those small mount bars. The only exception is the 024 which uses 3003 mount like the big ones.

Latest posts

Back