Stihl ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Palau

Palau

ArboristSite Lurker
My "one saw plan" consists of a 250 :)

I have had it for more than 3 years and cut all kinds of trees. I mostly use it for pine trees up to 20-22 inches. It is great for limbing and ok for bucking. So considering the price and all, I think it is a pretty good saw. I must admit, though, that the second I pulled the cord on a 361 that I borrowed, I knew that this was going to be my last 250.

4Kings

4Kings

ArboristSite Lurker
I love my 025 as well. Have dad it for 15 years and until about 18 months ago it was the only saw I owned. The only reason I got a 361 was that I started to get into some bigger stuff. Still use the 025 more so than the 361 but it's nice to have that hoss when I need it.

indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
It's the only Stihl I have ever owned that I was disappointed in, could be the expectation was too high. The dealer told me it would cut circles around a 028 WB, not even close imho, I traded it after a very short time, hated the start assist on it as well, too used to just drop starting them. I was more impressed with a 180 after doing a mild port job and mm. Never did time cuts but I think the 180 with just a little massaging is a stronger saw for trimming and little stuff.

BlackOakTreeServ

BlackOakTreeServ

ArboristSite Guru
I have the ms 250, light and lots of power for its size....not bad for a home owners saw.

Just picked up a ms 260 pro and I'll have to say its a much better quality saw...I can see why they cost more than the ms 250.....

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I have the ms 250, light and lots of power for its size....not bad for a home owners saw.

Just picked up a ms 260 pro and I'll have to say its a much better quality saw...I can see why they cost more than the ms 250.....

Imo, the MS250 isn't even very good for a "homeowner" saw, lots of thing that I dislike about that one!

A "C" is worse than a std one, and the "C-BE" even worse......:pumpkin2:

US ones also have less power than the ones I have used/worked on, acc to specs (EPA I guess).....

mowoodchopper

mowoodchopper

Polar Bear
Imo, the MS250 isn't even very good for a "homeowner" saw, lots of thing that I dislike about that one!

A "C" is worse than a std one, and the "C-BE" even worse......:pumpkin2:

US ones also have less power than the ones I have used/worked on, acc to specs (EPA I guess).....

:bang: I agree the 250 feels like a overgrown toy and is gutless!

Racerboy832

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Many of the tree guys around here Run the MS 250/660 2 saw combo. They beat the heck out of those little 250s and they keep going. I ended up with a couple. The only reason they get decommissioned is cause someone runs it over or dropped from a 60 foot bucket truck.

nanuk

nanuk

ArboristSite Guru
I bought several parts 025's

cause after I ended up with an MS250....

well I like it lots for camp. light, agile, enough poop for falling 12-15" pine, and not too slow for bucking...

and up here they are $500 clams.

I think I've got enough to build me another 250, and an 025 with leftovers to ebay!

STIHLTHEDEERE

STIHLTHEDEERE

This is Koty
cause after I ended up with an MS250....

well I like it lots for camp. light, agile, enough poop for falling 12-15" pine, and not too slow for bucking...

and up here they are $500 clams.

I think I've got enough to build me another 250, and an 025 with leftovers to ebay!
i think i can buy a new one for 275.00 us$

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
BAH!!!

I have run the living snot outta ours. It's the wifes, and when she got done beating it up, bending bars, and melting chains with it, I ended up with it for a limber when my old 346 went missing. 5 years and no complaints.

For it's weight, it makes decent power if it isn't choked up like the newer ones folks keep bashing.

As for durability, no complaints here. Have plumb wore through several spurs, and a couple Bars with nothing more than adjustments and a couple filters.
Air Filters are a complete and total joke however....They suck, and the cost is ridiculous.

Get into anything much bigger than 12-14" and they are a smidge slow, but will grunt through all day long, just keep a 16" bar and sharp loop on it, and work with it. It ain't a 346 or 260.

For the last year ours has been doing field duty on the Quad and puts up with the mud and banging around just fine.

The Local Sheriffs office jail work crew runs 250's and 260's for ROW and county Drain clearing work... they have have had good results with both, and that bunch TRIES to break equipment.

If we needed another thrash about saw, I'd consider another in a heart beat.
Just not one of the new ones with all the crap on 'em.
Why not. The warranty is solid, and the price is right.

I still HATE the assinine,jackassed stupid, pointless flippy caps though.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

atlarge54

atlarge54

ArboristSite Guru
I owned one for 7 or 8 years and was happy until spending time on the AS. When the fuel line made the saw start acting up I purchased a used Husky 345 on Craigslist. The Husky isn't a pro model and isn't a saw folks rave about but it's head and shoulders above the MS250. As soon as I repaired the Stihil I sold it.
Looking at the saws in your profile it's doubtful you'll be happy with the MS250.
What was the deal regarding your rep? Not too long ago you had a big string of bright red rep and now it's a different color?
What part of N IN you from, I'm pretty much in the NE corner?

Grateful11

Grateful11

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
It's the only Stihl I have ever owned that I was disappointed in, could be the expectation was too high. The dealer told me it would cut circles around a 028 WB, not even close imho, I traded it after a very short time, hated the start assist on it as well, too used to just drop starting them. I was more impressed with a 180 after doing a mild port job and mm. Never did time cuts but I think the 180 with just a little massaging is a stronger saw for trimming and little stuff.

:agree2:
The MS250 I had seem to always start better cold than warm, never could figure that one out. It cut good but definitely would not out cut "my" 028.

Racerboy832

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
i'm sure 98% of the people could survive just fine if they all owned a 025/250. They are good saws, it's just the CAD talking. I grab my 021 90% if the time. It's light, cuts well, and won't hurt your back. Cutting wood most of the time is mental thing, i'm not in a hurry and don't think about all the other daily life crude. If I break out the 660 to cut it's over in 1/4 of the time and that means I have to go back to my regular work.

DSS

Cowshot
i'm sure 98% of the people could survive just fine if they all owned a 025/250. They are good saws, it's just the CAD talking. I grab my 021 90% if the time. It's light, cuts well, and won't hurt your back. Cutting wood most of the time is mental thing, i'm not in a hurry and don't think about all the other daily life crude. If I break out the 660 to cut it's over in 1/4 of the time and that means I have to go back to my regular work.

:agree2::agree2::cheers:

mowoodchopper

mowoodchopper

Polar Bear

You have a very strange Idea of good! I guess it could mean alot of things though they are very good paper weights!:)

Latest posts