Stihl MS261 Handle Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3Links

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the site. Usually I can find the answers I need to questions like this just by searching long and hard enough in these sorts of places. Not this time though. So here I am.

My question is regarding the removal and replacement of the front handle on a Stihl MS261, as the title implies. I'm only looking to replace a damaged handle with a new one. I'm not looking to install something different than the factory standard. In fact, the new part has already been bought. Now it's just a matter of removing the damaged one and getting this new one on. Should be a simple task right? Well, it's not looking so simple at the moment. This is hopefully where you guys come in, so here's my question for anyone familiar with this particular saw and handle situation...

Is there any easy way to remove and install a front handle on a Stihl MS261? Because, right now it looks like the only way to do it involves splitting the whole saw in half, right down to possibly dealing with engine gaskets. This, just to get a new handle on. I mean, it looks like there's room for some shortcut, but if there is I'm not seeing it yet. The problem lies with the vibration absorber on the bottom where it looks like you can't get the handle off or on the spring or foam plug without splitting the saw in half. I don't want to damage the foam plug or the spring... or the body of the saw either obviously. Just doesn't look like I can compress the spring enough to get the handle off the foam plug. And the damaged handle doesn't afford me enough wiggle room to thread it off the spring.

If it turns out there is no trick to make this job easier then I feel the best option is just to send the saw in, even though the new handle has already been purchased. I don't want to possibly deal with engine and tank gaskets just to get a new handle on. Assuming it really is this much trouble, it's a poor design choice in terms of easy repairs. Although, in terms of getting you to send your saw in to a possible Stihl repair professional, perhaps it's a smart design.

Thanks in advance you guys. Hopefully this thread can help someone like me find their answers without having to ask the questions.

Thanks a ton atpchas! That shop manual was super handy. Didn't realize the screw holding the chain catcher in would also loosen the AV spring. Probably should've just gave it a shot but obviously hadn't. Just looking at the AV spring setup, I couldn't tell the side opposite the foam plug was actually separate from the body of the saw. The plastic was pretty seamless. That was the reason I thought maybe I had to move a whole half body shell of plastic just to get that spring out of there, although logic told me that this didn't make sense. Just a bit more tinkering and observation and I might have figured this out, but I'm glad I came here and got the help and resources I did so I didn't have to guess or experiment. Not to mention, you saved me time and money that would've otherwise been sunk into shop repairs. The saw is ready to go as soon as I need it now.

Firstly, this thread is halarious:happy::numberone::givebeer:. Two screws on the side then two screws underneath front of saw, then twist the handle and free it from the AV spring. To install the new one do it all in reverse. No need to split cases and replace gaskets!lol but if you like you could strip the whole saw down but four screws and a bit of fiddling is all that's required. Hint: the AV spring is not fixed to the case....it all comes off, just look at it and think.

It's not quite as involved as you fear but it does entail more fiddling than most top handles. Check your inbox for a link to the shop manual for your saw. It will walk you through the removal procedure.
I must be having a bad day and not understanding things, but the MS261 (Stihl) is not a top handle saw........sheez what's happened to this place!lol

Latest posts

Back