Stihl MS261C-M - Sugihara bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmscott22

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is anyone running a Sugihara light bar on their MS261? I'm looking to get a new 18" b/c and was seeing what everyone's thoughts are. I can just get the Stihl E bar they recommend which is .325 0.63 or a Sugihara which is .325 0.50. On my 026 I always just run the 0.63 so I don't know if that makes much of a difference.

Well I'll be selling my 026 anyways soon plus it was setup on 16" so I don't have any 18" chains. Just wondering on the strength and stretching of 0.50 vs 0.63 and if that bar will even be stronger / lighter.

You can always get your chains broken and resized. The weight of the bar would be slightly less with a bigger gauge, but not enough to notice.

Well I'll be selling my 026 anyways soon plus it was setup on 16" so I don't have any 18" chains. Just wondering on the strength and stretching of 0.50 vs 0.63 and if that bar will even be stronger / lighter.

It depends on what your gonna use it for.
0.50 bar and chain will be lighter and easier for the saw to pull. 0.63 Can take more of a beating, good for stumping. The drawback is that 0.63 bar & chain weights more.

It depends on what your gonna use it for.
0.50 bar and chain will be lighter and easier for the saw to pull. 0.63 Can take more of a beating, good for stumping. The drawback is that 0.63 bar & chain weights more.

A .063 bar should weigh less than a .050 bar because the rails are thinner. But the chain is heavier with the bigger gauge so it evens out.

By an ounce maybe, more like hundredths of ounces. .050 and .063 is the same chain, just .050 has a thinned driver, the upper portion of the chain is the same. You can argue about strength and for ease of pulling the chain, it's the same chain. Sharpness has more to do with it than .050 or .063.

By an ounce maybe, more like hundredths of ounces. .050 and .063 is the same chain, just .050 has a thinned driver, the upper portion of the chain is the same. You can argue about strength and for ease of pulling the chain, it's the same chain. Sharpness has more to do with it than .050 or .063.

Agree completely. Like I said before, not enough difference to notice...

Thanks for all the advice guys. My local Stihl guy doesn't even carry .325 .050, he only has .063 so I guess that makes my decision unless I always order it

True with regular 3/8 and .325 Stihl chain, but not with Oregon.;)

With Stihl chain the top of the drivers are .063 on all gauges, as are Oregon in .063 - but with Oregon .058 and .050, it is .058.

Ported MS261 with elevated powerband....050 tangs get hammered compared to 063 in hardwood. Also chips bind up the rails in 050 in our wood compared to 063 resulting in more heat/wear and less oil going where it should. lf cutting softer species one may not appreciate these comments and differences may be minimal.

Back