Stihl ms261c or bigger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a ms290 and a 261c and a 362. I prefer the 261 over the 290 or the 362. The 262c is lighter and does everything I ask of it. It's my go to saw over the others. It cuts just as fast as the others. if you get the chain sharp it does just as good as the others and is light and doesn't wear me out as much. The 290 is a little heavier as well a the 362. I can cut longer with the 261 and it cuts just as fast. I saves my back when cutting for long periods.

I saw this thread and wondered why the 261/262 is so much better than the 026. I have an 026 and never really cared for it. I thought it was going to be it's slightly smaller little punk ass brother to my 034, and it is not half the saw. Why is that? I am looking at another saw and decided the 261 was just another saw that was too little so a 362 seemed to be in order to compliment my old 034 , and be inbetween my 441. I just never thought the 026 was much of a saw nut so many just love that saw. Why is the 261 so much better?

I saw this thread and wondered why the 261/262 is so much better than the 026. I have an 026 and never really cared for it. I thought it was going to be it's slightly smaller little punk ass brother to my 034, and it is not half the saw. Why is that? I am looking at another saw and decided the 261 was just another saw that was too little so a 362 seemed to be in order to compliment my old 034 , and be inbetween my 441. I just never thought the 026 was much of a saw nut so many just love that saw. Why is the 261 so much better?

Kinda like why is a 2020 half ton truck better than a 1980 half ton.

It's a completely different design. It's similar in weight but much smoother in the hands. It's got a noticeable amount more power as well as a wider power band and a snappier throttle. It's also got some creature comforts that really add up versus the old saws. Self tuning and the switch that returns to "on" are pretty slick in a work saw.

Personally I've owned a couple of 026s and a 261V2. The 026s were solid reliable workhorses for a small limbing and thinning saw. But nothing amazing. The 261 was more pleasant to use in that capacity and had enough guts to actually be a decent firewood saw for wood under 18".

FWIW. The 362 isn't a noticeable step up from your 034. In fact, if it's an 034 super, it's essentially the same saw just 3 generatins older/newer. Power wise, your 441 is essentially nothing next step up from the 034/036/360/362 family with an additional 10cc of displacement.

I run both a an 026 and an 036. Depending what you are cutting, the 026 can be a really good firewood saw if it's set up correctly. It does best with a 16" bar and a sharp full chisel chain. I run an 18" bar on mine just to keep my parts the same. It costs me on performance, but I use it on stuff that's 8" and under, so the loss in performance isn't that noticeable. There will always be a big difference between a 45cc saw and a 60cc saw. I take advantage of that difference and set my 036 up for heavier work with the same bar. If I'm having to reach out with the saw, I grab the lighter option. If I'm working at waist height on larger rounds, I pick a heavier saw and let her eat.

Now ya all got me wondering. My 034 is 4.1 horse and has the 3/8" loop. The 262 has 4 horse and has the .325" This would mean a 262 should out cut my 034. No? The 262 has the thinner chain . SHould out cut my 034.

Now ya all got me wondering. My 034 is 4.1 horse and has the 3/8" loop. The 262 has 4 horse and has the .325" This would mean a 262 should out cut my 034. No? The 262 has the thinner chain . SHould out cut my 034.
They could potentially cut about the same. They may have roughly the same hp, but the 034 has more displacement, and will have more torque. If an 18" bar will do what you want, put one on your 034 with the .325 chain. Get a drive bearing for a 70cc saw (don't remember the PN or dimensions, but I can get it for you if you want), install a drum that accepts a standard spline rim, and put a 9 pin rim on it. Keep your rakers low, and your 034 will cut like a piranha after a bleeding calf. I run my 036 this way and really like it for bucking and felling so long as I don't have to plunge cut. The low rakers make the chain a little to grabby for plunge cuts.

I would recommend learning some skills before you advertise your incapability, I would think a 13" to 16" bar on the 026 would be appropriate.
13" would make it the snappy tool its designed to be, this is a skilled logger with a 39cc and a 14" bar;

Link , That must be one sharp chain cause at 3 min. he sticks it in the wood in about 3 seconds. One fast saw too. What kind was it?

I cut firewood as a side hustle and I use a ms250 and ms362. I've been cutting firewood for about 15 years. I up graded to the 362 carb 2 years ago. Since then I've doubled my firewood production and bought me a 25ton splitter. And it's done everything I asked it to do including a couple of 41 inch plus trees. My buddy has a 60cc homelite super xl mine is twice as fast as that good ole saw. His has more bottom end torque I cant hog with it like he can his but I'm still twice as fast. I also a few months ago found a used ms880 for sale that hasn't been used very much. My 362 fairly well hangs with the 880. In 25inch red oak only a few seconds difference. What I loose in cutting speed I make up for in agility so I'm actually faster in the long run with the 362. Now go up to 40 plus inch wood I'm sure I will be faster with the 880. But the 880 has only been used to cut down 2 big 50inch plus trees that were not firewood was told to cut them down then cut them in 9 foot chunks. And I kept all the branches for my firewood using the 362. The 362 or the 400 are awesome firewood saws. The 462 maybe better; not much heavier and can handle a longer bar. I just couldn't justify the price of a 462 at the time although I could of bought a new one with what I bought the 880 for. But I wouldn't of had the money for the spliter or 880 if I hadn't bought the 362. For me it was a game changer. Made my side hustle much easier on me because it was so much faster than my 250. On a side note my ms250 is faster than my buddies 60cc homelite even in 25 inch red oak but not much faster.(maybe a half a second) But his can handle a 24inch bar and can handle 30 to 40 inch wood better than the 250 and not be stressed out doing it just a bit slower.

So I sell firewood for a side hustle and am looking to get a bigger saw. I'm no chainsaw expert so I'm asking for opinions. Id like to expand and get logs by the truck load when I get a property but that is out of the option with over bidding real estate right now.

I'm currently running a 026 with 16" bar which will do 90% of the wood I get. Biggest I've had so far is 23" rarely above 20"
I was set on getting the ms261c but its backorder late july possibly longer. For the price of used saws I'd rather buy a new one.

Do any of stihl bigger saws compare or are better than the 261 for what I need? Possibly 500i?

Don't spend the $ on a 500i unless $ is plenty.
MS362 is more then sufficient up to 24" dia logs
If you want a sure bet Stihl for less $ then the 500i buy the MS462 which easily handles a 28" bar

IMPORTANT: If you do not have experience with saws above 60cc then start out with the MS261 or if unavailable the MS391

I cut firewood as a side hustle and I use a ms250 and ms362. I've been cutting firewood for about 15 years. I up graded to the 362 carb 2 years ago. Since then I've doubled my firewood production and bought me a 25ton splitter. And it's done everything I asked it to do including a couple of 41 inch plus trees. My buddy has a 60cc homelite super xl mine is twice as fast as that good ole saw. His has more bottom end torque I cant hog with it like he can his but I'm still twice as fast. I also a few months ago found a used ms880 for sale that hasn't been used very much. My 362 fairly well hangs with the 880. In 25inch red oak only a few seconds difference. What I loose in cutting speed I make up for in agility so I'm actually faster in the long run with the 362. Now go up to 40 plus inch wood I'm sure I will be faster with the 880. But the 880 has only been used to cut down 2 big 50inch plus trees that were not firewood was told to cut them down then cut them in 9 foot chunks. And I kept all the branches for my firewood using the 362. The 362 or the 400 are awesome firewood saws. The 462 maybe better; not much heavier and can handle a longer bar. I just couldn't justify the price of a 462 at the time although I could of bought a new one with what I bought the 880 for. But I wouldn't of had the money for the spliter or 880 if I hadn't bought the 362. For me it was a game changer. Made my side hustle much easier on me because it was so much faster than my 250. On a side note my ms250 is faster than my buddies 60cc homelite even in 25 inch red oak but not much faster.(maybe a half a second) But his can handle a 24inch bar and can handle 30 to 40 inch wood better than the 250 and not be stressed out doing it just a bit slower.
What is the upgrade carb for a MS362?

I just have the carb version 362 not mtronic. I'd have to look and find a part number if that's what you want?
I am ready to buy a MS362 carb version as well so - no rush - but when you have the chance please let me know.
Thank You

Looking back at my post #50 it looks like I said I up graded the 362 carb but no it is just the stock carb for a ms362 non mtronic. You buy the 362 with either the mtronic's or the carburetor. Same saw. At work on lunch atm but i can give you a part number maybe tomorrow unless someone here chimes in.

My ms362 took a long time to break in it was really boggy until I got about 7 tanks of gas through it then it started opening up. It is an all around good saw big enough to take down some big trees and light enough to be mobile and quick in the tree branches. Even those big 48 even 50inch trees it could of taken them down but I wouldn't make a habit of if. 30 and under good saw. With the ability to occasionally take a larger tree. If the need is there you will upgrade. Make em pay for themselves.

Latest posts

Back