Stihl MS361 flooding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigWill1985

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, we were working the other day and had some problems with our 361. First off, it started giving us the issue of not idling. Once it started, it would run fine as long as the throttle was just above idle. Seemed like it was loading up. Anyway, an employee pulled the spark plug and cross threaded it trying to put it back in. I was so frustrated I let the saw set in our shop for a week or so and just used the 290 in it's place.

Fast forward to today. I went ahead and installed a heli-coil in the jug, and got the spark plug to fit snugly. Tried to start it, and same issue (wouldn't idle). After a few more minutes of trying to tune on it, the saw now floods after 3-4 pulls. I have ran this saw for the last 3-4 months (almost every day), and it was always the easiest starting saw we had. I pulled the plug, and verified that it has spark (not with spark tester, just using the plug). But, after only 3-4 pulls the saw is flooded to the point that it won't even spark (plug completely soaked).

What could cause this? I have never rebuilt the carb, so do you think it might need a new needle/seat? Could one of the checkvalves in the carb have failed? I ordered a new carb kit, should be here in the next few days. Am I on the right track? Does it sound unreasonable for the plug to be completely soaked after only 3-4 pulls?

I am starting it exactly the same as I always did (full choke, pull until saw coughs, then to high idle and pull until it fires which used to be 2-3 more pulls).

Probably not much help here but my 361 has a ton of hours on it and has gotten a lot more touchy about idling and flooding, especially when cold. It does run great at full throttle. Everything else checks out fine and I'm pretty sure a carb kit is what it needs. I'll get back to you if I get mine done first. Tell your guys to also be careful about tightening the bar nuts, I tightened one of mine up when the saw was really hot and it didn't take a ton of force to strip the stud out of the case. It was an easy fix because i had an 056 stud that was the same but with a fatter shank on the side threading into the case. It was totally my fault, but beware of overtightening if you have He-Man on your crew!

Latest posts

Back