• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Stihl MS362 or Husky 562XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Code_Red

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a stihl 025 and a still 044. The 044 was recently rebuilt with a bigger jug so I'm looking for a "middle of the road" saw that is newer with anti-vibe that I can cut with all day if i need to. Im new to the site and am not a professional by any means. I usually only cut wood to keep warm in the winter and only sell a little, somewhere between 8 - 12 cord, and it is a pretty good mix of wood, mostly oak, hickory, and ash with occasional locust and elm. I was looking for these two saws because of their newer technology and stellar reviews but I'm open to suggestions.

I am leaning toward the ms362 and have a friend who works for a John Deere Dealership and can get me a brand new one for roughly $150 off msrp but with the saw being so new it comes with quite the price tag. You get what you pay for I just don't know if I can justify spending that at the moment.

I also forgot to post earlier, most trees I cut are 12" - 24", I did just fell a 42" oak but i only cut maybe 1 or 2 of them a year.

a gentleman on here is offering me a husky 357xp for $565 shipped, its brand new and has only ever been started, never seen wood, good deal? i have heard about leaking oil problems with them but it doesn't seem like its a hard fix?

i haven't had the chance to do much research on the 357xp so any input it appreciated, it makes me nervous that husky discontinued it ( i think ). if its a good saw wouldn't it still be in production or is that something husky does as a marketing strategy?

The 357xp was replaced by the AT 562xp. The 346xp is one of the best saws ever made and the AT 550xp replaced it and it sounds like the bulletproof 372xp is on the way out too. The 357xp is a good saw.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

being a chainsaw modding noob I'm not familiar with Mastermind Saws, is it just a ported and tuned saw? and what does something like that do to saw life? I'm looking for a 15 year saw. Sorry for the ignorance.

woods porting brings a saw up to it's full potential yet allows it to offer years of service for the average user. generally the goal is to get as much power for as little weight from a saw.

being a chainsaw modding noob I'm not familiar with Mastermind Saws, is it just a ported and tuned saw? and what does something like that do to saw life? I'm looking for a 15 year saw. Sorry for the ignorance.

357 is a great saw. Mastermind builds phenominal saws as you can see in my sig. At the moment I still have 2 359s. I had bought a 562xpw at the same time and I sent it down the road. I really like the ported 359s. That 357 would no longer be avail if I didnt have my 359s.

I have a masterminded 562xp with 6-8 tanks on it with a 20in sugi hara bar I would sell for $750.00

I have a masterminded 562xp and it is a killer saw. To me, it feels and cuts like a 70cc saw. Code_red, i would seriously think about this saw if your looking for that "wowww" feeling.

I appreciate all of the input and patience with a novice, I am currently talking with buffhunter about the saw, I will let you all know what I decide on.

Alright well here's the update: someone bought the saw before I could speak for it so I am still in the market for a 60-ish cc saw hopefully in the sub $700 range. I have looked at that 357xp because it's a good price but all of the reports of leaking oil make me nervous. And I would like to have whatever saw I go with "woods ported" so keep the input and saws for sale coming.

To get a new 60cc saw for less than $700, you could look at the husky 555, jonsered 2258, dolmar 6100, or the echo 600. You could also keep an eye open for trading post saws in this size. My current 60cc saw is a 034s I got used from a member here.

WHat report of leaky oil? As said- I have two 359s and they have been bullet-proof.
from the reading ive done ( husky's website and just google searching ) i have come across people reporting the same issue of leaking bar oil like crazy after use however, there are a lot of people that have them and dont have the problem, i just wasstating that some of them do have it and didnt know if anyone on here had experience with it one way or another. im glad yours have been bulletproof, it is reassuring that the leak is few and far between.

OP,
Have you looked at a Dolmar 6100? it's been the hot topic on both saw forums lately. Brand new you should be able to buy one with 18-20 in bar for $500-$550 at a dealer with a 2-3 year warrenty from what I hear. Husky guys will argue that they have less power than a new 562 but they are also $150 cheaper! Reliable, light, nimble, powerfull, and strato... So uses less gas than regular saw. They also have awesome new air filtration design. Also if you don't recognize the Dolmar brand... Go google them. They have been around longer than Stihl and Husky. They just don't spend a billion dollars on advertising (thus the lower cost saw). Makita (yes the power tool company) bought them out but they kept pretty much everything status quo as far as the consumer is concerned. Dolmar just now makes chainsaws in blue and red.

It's the move I'll make as soon as I get the spare cash.

Nathan

Back