stihl ms362 rod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogetr sawguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I talked to a guy that has a ms362 for sale said the rod cap came off. What? I haven't seen any engine like this have a cap on the rod like a car and don't see that on a parts picture for this saw. So I assume the crank is bad but what else could have been destroyed? I figure the piston and cylinder could be damaged. He said someone was over revving it without a bar and chain for a halloween prop when it went. A shop supposedly told them what was wrong with it. Maybe he has the story messed up. The saw looks good from the pics but don't know what I may get into. What do you think it may be worth? Thanks for any help you can offer

Spontaneous disassembly by excessive RPM. Consider it a parts saw with the only salvageable parts are what you can see on the outside of the saw. You won't know the extent of the damage until you have pulled it apart and found that you paid waaaay too much.

They are asking $225 I offered $100 they said no it was worth more than that parting it out. He said the shop said $400 to fix it but I'm not sure what is wrong exactly. It still turns over he said. Its a good distance from me or I would go check it out to see whats up. If they don't sell it maybe they'll take my offer later.

Thats a great great saw for most dudes. Used they go for around 5-6 hundred dollars around here. Plenty of used parts on EB. See if they'll part with it for $160, but if you can pull the muffler and inspect it i would do that. Great saw, they rev like banshees, "let you conscious be your guide"

They are asking $225 I offered $100 they said no it was worth more than that parting it out. He said the shop said $400 to fix it but I'm not sure what is wrong exactly. It still turns over he said. Its a good distance from me or I would go check it out to see whats up. If they don't sell it maybe they'll take my offer later.
@grogetr sawguy Did you get (or look at) the MS362?

Latest posts

Back