Stihl MS391 or Echo or another 60cc saw? (went with 562XP)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Striven82

Just a guy trying to learn
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a 391 that I am considering selling to my brother. I would like to replace it with an Echo because I am super impressed with the way my CS400 runs. Which of the Echo saws would be similar or better than my current 391.

Thanks,
Steve

I was kinda thinking 620pw. Other than the wrap handle, what is gained over the 690?

Edit: I meant 590.

Just use the search function. There are a few dozen threads about the differences.

I was kinda thinking 620pw. Other than the wrap handle, what is gained over the 690?
$250.00. Wrap handle, rim sprocket, better bar, better clutch cover. Unlimited coil, bigger carb, different porting.

My brother cuts with 391 while I use 590. The timberwolf is the better of the 2 saws doesn't bog down and cuts threw wood with ease compared to 391. Both stock with 20inch bats

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

That's really something...I have the MS390 and is 100% stock and I eat up the Timberwolfs my two uncles have...all of us running 20 in bars & chisel chain.
Although I run non-ethanol & 5 more cc's also!
If I did a simple muff-mod...It would be embarrassing!

That's odd we cut wood couple times a week together and 590 cuts about 1/3 faster I ve never had issues straight out of box his 391 has missed cutting being the shop. Tree company I work for runs all Stihl. Before buying 590 I tried by a new 261 pro several times using our company saw before. I was unimpressed. Only saw in still line that is a leader is 201t 440mag and 461. Stihl technologyhas been caught up to just like Matthew bows everyone technology is right there or been surpassed. I think some guys are willing to hold stihl pride 1sy and performance 2nd.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ms 390 is a good saw. My dad has a ms391 that has been a real stinker. Hard starting, not impressive power, coil went bad when saw was less than a year old. The older versions of this model(039 and ms390) will cut circles around the 391 .

How does the ms362 compare to the 391 and cs620p?

I don't plan on modding the saw, other than removing the limiters and tuning it properly.

I was leaning toward Echo just because they run so damn well.

How does the ms362 compare to the 391 and cs620p?

I don't plan on modding the saw, other than removing the limiters and tuning it properly.

I was leaning toward Echo just because they run so damn well.

First, the 620 no doubt is a better saw than the 391, and the latest version of the 362 better than the 620 - but far from all 362s are the same thing.

Personally I wouldn't want to buy any of those saw, but that's another story.

In that power range, give or take a bit, where would you put your money, and why? I'm not totally sold on any particular saw, just trying to get an education. I most value quality and dependability. I only really need a 20" bar for most of the work I do.

Thanks

Dolmar 6100 FTW, as they say. A husky 555 would be on my list to try also. I'd love to own a Jonsered 2260 or husky 562, but now you're talking some serious money. The Dolmar or the 555 will be quite a bit cheaper than the Stihl or the Husky 562.

In that power range, give or take a bit, where would you put your money, and why? I'm not totally sold on any particular saw, just trying to get an education. I most value quality and dependability. I only really need a 20" bar for most of the work I do.

Thanks
The Dolmar 6100 is my first choice. Great power and wide power band, easy starting, easy maintenance, easy cleaning. Great build quality, there are more positives and very few if any negative. I could go on but I gotta go to work and sell Husqvarna's
I did just get 2 more new 555's and 545's in to prep.

When it comes to saw performance, I find that in most cases brand name has less to do with it than the set-up of the saw. Chain type, bar type, sprocket size, fuel, etc. all have a big effect on the performance of the saw. The tune on the carb has to match the fuel being used. The chain has to be sharp....and an aggressive cutting chain is not the same as a sharp chain. So, the chain needs to be sharpened and adjusted to get the right amount of aggression for the type of wood being cut. These are the reasons for why one person will see Echo 620 saws out cut Stihl 390 saws and another person will see the opposite situation with the same two brands and models.

Thanks

Husky, no doubt at all (560xpg, or 562xpg if I couldn't get a 560).

Husky, no doubt at all (560xpg, or 562xpg if I couldn't get a 560).
Why the 560 or 562? Those are both in my price range. Are they known for long life? Are the heated grips worth the extra cost? I know it's all personal preference, but what makes the 562 better than the ms362 for instance? I really appreciate the info, folks!

Thanks

Why the 560 or 562? Those are both in my price range. Are they known for long life? Are the heated grips worth the extra cost? I know it's all personal preference, but what makes the 562 better than the ms362 for instance? I really appreciate the info, folks!

Thanks

The main difference is that those Huskys have an outboard clutch (unlike all the others mentioned here so far), and are neater/more ergonomic/better handling - and they have a snappier trigger response as well. If you just block logs in the yard this hardly matters, but it certainly does when you take the saws out in the woods.

The 560 is slightly neater and lighter than the 562. The Jonsered 2260 basically is the 560, but the streight across handlebar and "boxier" shape (covers) makes it a little less neat.

Ahh shoot. The more I look at the 562XPG, the more I like it. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like this might be the benchmark saw in this category. I'm looking for a 20" bar...but which gauge is recommended, .050 or .058? I will direct my wife to Sawtroll when she sees the bank account.

Latest posts

Back