stihl ms391 vs. dolmar 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6400, and when she-who-must-be-obeyed is not looking, you can easily swap the piston/cylinder for the 7900 version (<$200 and an hour's time) and turn it into a wood cutting beast.

With all due respect, they are a wood cutting beast to begin with!
There is NOTHING wrong with a 6400/6401 that needs to be fixed by installing a 7900 top end on them.
I know!
I bought in to the hype and went that route with my first one.
Did it get stronger? Yes it did!
Did it NEED to be stronger to cut what I cut.......not at all!
If you don't want to take my word for it, just ask that Mastermind guy.

Mike

I bought a 6400 with the intent to put a 7900 top end on it but have been so impressed with the power that I havent done it yet. Maybe the new 32" bar and chain will slow it down... Had it at a friends place to fell a tree, all whom are Stihl lovers. Needless to say that they were all impressed and asking: What kind of saw did you say that was?

All of the Stihl clamshell saws are underwhelming turds, the 6400 in orange or blue will do you right, but Baileys also had the 6400 with 7900 cylinder on sale last time I checked, and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new 7901.

How does a 6400 compare in performance to a 036/360/361/362?

JayC

JayC

In 18" wood the 361/362 will cut about the same as a 6400, anything over that a 6400 will stomp them into the dirt without even trying. I've seen this in person, I even ran the saws myself back to back . Remember the 6400 has a smaller bore than the 7900, but the stroke is the same (TORQUE).

Yea, theres just no way to argue this one. 391 all the way. :rock:

Psshhh! Yea right, it's not even in the same ballpark as a 6400. :msp_biggrin: It's prolly still the fastest 60cc saw being made right now. I'd like to see one against the 562xp.

Psshhh! Yea right, it's not even in the same ballpark as a 6400. :msp_biggrin: It's prolly still the fastest 60cc saw being made right now. I'd like to see one against the 562xp.

The 6400/6401 is large and very heavy compared to 60cc saws - so it isn't really comparable to that class of saws.

The same is the case with the 311/391 + much more.....:msp_rolleyes::taped:

The 6400/6401 is large and very heavy compared to real 60cc saws - so it isn't really comparable to that class of saws.

The same is the case with the 311/391 + much more.....:msp_rolleyes::taped:

if i knew more about saws id jump on the makita. wanna get one from a local shop tho...
Go to the dolmar web page and look up your local dealer if you want to buy local. DOLMAR Power Products
You're in the right place to learn about saws. I dumped my tea-pot craftsman and Poulan Wild Thing a few years back and picked up a 6401 (dirt cheap) and have never looked back with regret. In fact I caught the CAD bug and am now doing full rebuilds. Speaking of which...

The 6401 will blow the 311/391 away. Everyone is right there is no compairison. Having rebuilt many of the Stihl clamshells now I will agree the maintence is much easier on the Makita/Dolmar and the power is much better too. That being said, I can only argue that a Stihl clam shell saw can be built for $100 if you can find a DOA 029/290 and put an aftermarket top end on it. They do have a decent amount of power once you have the 390/391 top end on them. Still heavy on the power to weight ratio. They are a good cheap starter saw for the average Joe that will only put 5-10hrs of cutting a year. If you plan to do a lot of cutting... Save yourself the time and buy a 6401/6400.

I also have to say the HD air filter kit is a GIANT improvement over the stock 6400 air filter system. You can really see the faults in the stock AF systems and see the extreme faults in the Stihl AF systems. I've only done a few huskys but have been told the HD 6400 AF system is on par or better than the Husky AF systems (and husky is known for their good af systems).

JayC

I haven't run them back to back so can't speak to power differences directly... However the maintence is still easier and the air filteration still much better. Plus the ability to swap a 64cc P&C to a 79-84cc P&C is a huge plus (one that the 361 doesn't have).

For anyone worried about maintence and parts... IF! you need maintence, a general small engine shop or saw shop will be able to fix your saw (if you don't do the work yourself). Parts were a concern for me when I got my 6401 but I realized that it's easy enough to get parts from a dealer or over the internet...

Latest posts

Back