Stihl MS441 with secondary chain brake and/or heated handles and carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont buy more saw than you need man. Doesnt make good sense.

The 361 is a great saw, why not buy one then pick up a used 660 or 394 to take up shelf space till you need a big bar. I dont know how much cutting you do but ive found myself using alot of 394's lately.

346 small. 372 mid. 394 big
You can skip the mid size saw if youve got upper body strength.

I considered that as well, but figured a 441 might be good enough to a 660 for what I'd ever need it for. But I guess it would make sense to get a 361 and use the extra money not spent on the 441 and put it into a 660

I do have an extraordinary amount of upper body strength...at 6'3" 280 lbs with only a slight beer belly, the weight has to be somewhere.

So you're suggesting that I go with a 361 and a 660, and skip the 441?? Comparing specs on Stihl and Husqy sites, those are the the closest Stihls to the Husqy's you mentioned

Last edited:
I considered that as well, but figured a 441 might be good enough to a 660 for what I'd ever need it for. But I guess it would make sense to get a 361 and use the extra money not spent on the 441 and put it into a 660

I do have an extraordinary amount of upper body strength...at 6'3" 280 lbs with only a slight beer belly, the weight has to be somewhere.

Yeah im at 6'3 230 so theres not much problem here with running big saws.

The 441 can run a big bar slow for sure, but its no 660.

Im most definitely biased against the 441. I dont like strato saws so figure that in hahaha.

Figure out what you need and the most bang for your buck. For what its worth the 361 will cut some big wood, albeit slowly too.

Oh no doubt.
Ill spare calling it mean names like porky and piggy and such and just state that the real saws wont be availiable in another 2 years. Thats fact.

If it aint broke don fix it. Chainsaws kill trees who cares about their emissions. Should make saws exempt by default.

Truth be told your cutting speed really comes into play over 20" anyhow.

The MOST valid point is the 441 is never anythin more.
You can turn a 460 into a big bore or woods ported flinger of chips. The 441.. well I guess you can probably put square chisel on it.

The vast majority of people don't do anything with their saws but cut wood. They don't modify them and many don't even properly maintain them.

That being said, the average guy is going to prefer the saw that is easier on your hands, easier of fuel and requires far less air filter cleaning. It even makes MORE power than the other 71cc saws.

Yeah, it's heavier. Who cares? It's also faster than a 440/372.

Have you ran a 441?

Last edited:
You will really like the heated handles, I dont like to wear thick gloves and the heated handles are well worth it. Also Stihl heated handles seem to put out just the right amount of heat the Jred/Husky ones seem a bit too warm. I guess Stihl markets saw's different up here as you can get a 260 with the heated handles.

Yeah, I'm seeing that Canadian markets have heated handles on many saws. Here in US, only the 441 to 660 have them listed on the website, but I went to a Stihl dealer today and he couldn't find a listing for prices on anything other than the 460 (maybe bigger saws, but I wasn't really interested in saws bigger than that). But I am in Michigan, I can drive in any direction except west and hit Canada. The Canadian version Stihl website doesn't list any prices and such. But if the prices are about the same after the exchange rate, I might be inclined to drive to Canada and pick up a saw. Problem is, I don't know the Canadian prices. Still weighing between 361 and 441. Had myself talked mostly into a 441, then Wortowns comment had me sold on 361 but then other comments have me back on the 441. UGH, I dunno

Yeah, I'm seeing that Canadian markets have heated handles on many saws. Here in US, only the 441 to 660 have them listed on the website, but I went to a Stihl dealer today and he couldn't find a listing for prices on anything other than the 460 (maybe bigger saws, but I wasn't really interested in saws bigger than that). But I am in Michigan, I can drive in any direction except west and hit Canada. The Canadian version Stihl website doesn't list any prices and such. But if the prices are about the same after the exchange rate, I might be inclined to drive to Canada and pick up a saw. Problem is, I don't know the Canadian prices. Still weighing between 361 and 441. Had myself talked mostly into a 441, then Wortowns comment had me sold on 361 but then other comments have me back on the 441. UGH, I dunno
With the way the Canadian Paso is now it would most likely be the same price. Just run it in some wood so it looks used not new when you cross the border no duty that way lol.

Maybe I didn't see it posted.. but what kind of wood are you cutting? How big and how often? Have too big of a saw is nice, but you will get tired faster, as well as go through fuel faster.

Ooo' and don't get a 192T top handle saw unless you are a climber and using it in the tree.

I have run the 361 and own a 441.

Hands down, the 441 is a lot more saw. It's my favorite firewood saw. I only have about 48,000 board feet of Eastern Hemlock on it. Probably have another 8 to 10 cords of firewood on it. Great saw.

The 441 will pull a 32" bar with full skip chain easily. Probably even do okay with full comp. Handles a 24" bar and full comp chain with ease.

Very smooth, excellent air filtration and a fuel sipper.

Last edited:
What difference does that make?

Gary

Well for one I'd never buy a 192. Second most say it is more unsafe running a top handle on the ground as you have less leverage on the saw. None of our contract crews used there tree saws on the ground, and it was a company policy not to.

Well for one I'd never buy a 192. Second most say it is more unsafe running a top handle on the ground as you have less leverage on the saw. None of our contract crews used there tree saws on the ground, and it was a company policy not to.

I have a friend I cut with pretty often. He runs a top handle for 90% of his cutting. He just loves it.

I don't even think he knows it's a "climbing" saw.

With the way the Canadian Paso is now it would most likely be the same price. Just run it in some wood so it looks used not new when you cross the border no duty that way lol.

Maybe I'll buy it without a bar and chain and stick my 16" bar ad chain from my 029 on there, then buy a bar and chain from my local dealer.

Maybe I didn't see it posted.. but what kind of wood are you cutting? How big and how often? Have too big of a saw is nice, but you will get tired faster, as well as go through fuel faster.

Ooo' and don't get a 192T top handle saw unless you are a climber and using it in the tree.

Yeah, it was posted, but I tend to write book length posts. I copied/pasted it again here.

While my typical use may be not much different than just a home owner, I don't want a junk saw. I don't plan to cut up fire wood. The only thing I really need a saw for is to cut down trees that are fallen and/or dead in the woods and trimming limbs near the house, barn, and driveway, etc. However, I do want a nice saw because I plan to move in the near future and will need to clear some land to build a house. Even though I will prolly rent a dozer and go through knocking the trees down for the building lot, I still have to cut it all up and move it to a burn pile. Also, there is the possibility that I will buy some other land to develop it with houses. So it could see quite a bit of use.

And yeah, I pretty much decided against the 192T. I figure I will get more use out of a pruning saw and hedge trimmers for a lot less money

Anyone from Canada have any clue what the prices run for a 361 and 441 both arctic??

Thanks

Its nice to be able to run a big bar when you need to.
I just think the complexity of a strato saws not needed, thats why ive reccomended everything but the 441. Look into the designs, strato saws have 2 intake ports, 2 butterflys on the carb, etc. More weight more complexity. Saws were kept simple for a reason.

The 361 is definitely a pro saw, just a little smaller one, still pulls a 20 inch bar great. I rarely need a bar bigger than 20" , I cut bigger wood all the time and a 24-28-32 comes in useful but im usually at work and pull out a 394 for that stuff. Once again though thats work not home use.

Wood up to 34-35 inches is cut fairly easy with a 20 inch bar .

You might be able to try the saws out, most guys on here love to show off their stuff.

Disclaimer: You dont need a 660 class saw, but we will tell you that you do.
If you run one, youll start to believe us. Next thing you know youll be on the 2 saw plan, then the 3, then the 5. Then youll realize a silky sugoi really cuts twigs fast, then all is lost. CAD in the making.

My 361 had the secondary chain brake. I HATED it. PITA to roll chain while sharpening until I put a zip tie hold down on the secondary lever. Plus, when I would finish a cut the damn brake would engage. I unhooked the brake linkage for the secondary chain brake, but kept the lever operational for the throttle interlock on the handle.

We use a 360 with the qs brake, I always hated sharpening that thing for the same reason, one day I ended up leaving the toggle on full choke/full throttle and it keeps the secondary brake lever planted and you can sharpen them the same as any other saw. (I felt like an idiot that I hadn't noticed it the other thousand times I had sharpend it :censored: )

Sorry to derail the thread, I always had a hatred for that option and I hope somebody can use this info!

We use a 360 with the qs brake, I always hated sharpening that thing for the same reason, one day I ended up leaving the toggle on full choke/full throttle and it keeps the secondary brake lever planted and you can sharpen them the same as any other saw. (I felt like an idiot that I hadn't noticed it the other thousand times I had sharpend it :censored: )

Sorry to derail the thread, I always had a hatred for that option and I hope somebody can use this info!

Excellent post! Rep will be on its way.

I have only sharpened a chain on one of the C-Q saws. Didn't even think about using the cold start feature to disengage the safety.

Latest posts

Back