Stihl MS460 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Ambull. I've been looking at saws on E-Bay for about a month. The is a 460 on there right now, brand new for $910 + $43 shipping. I can get one for less than that and it will have a warranty and no shipping. The used ones jumped around $100 after Christmas. I feel if I'm going in for $600 to $700 used, for $200 more I know what I have. It is just not worth the chance to me. Don't get me wrong, I buy alot on E-Bay, but at this point it won't be a chainsaw. It's too easy to get burned.:cheers:

Used prices shouldn't be that much, keep looking around. I just sold a nice 046 on CL for $450 and another ms460 powerhead through the classified here for the same.

A little cosmetic damage doesn't mean you are getting a beat up saw, it means you get a discount. Of course that said, ebay is still a risk but if you want to learn how to fix a saw (with help from the AS folks) you can save a lot of $.

I think Craigslist and some drive time should set you up with a nice saw.

I would sugest a used saw also I bought a new 460 2 years ago whitch made 4 of them at one time they are great saws but I wish I would have never bought a new one. U should look up a guy named the saw king he is very honest and sell a good product his dealership is called myrtal creek saw shop phone number is 541 863 5387 he probly has one. I would sell U one but I sold all of them after I ran a 372xpw. James

Your probably right, I was thinking if I got a new one and took care of it, I could get almost all my money back out of it (if I stop using wood for heat and with the upcoming $ increase) and almost be guarranteed a lifetime saw. The dealer is giving me a very good deal, but lets face it , till I outfit it with 2 bars, chains, taxes and goodies, I will be over $1000. That is hard to swallow right now. With a good used or rebuildable saw, the investment will be less and possibly a better chance of equal return value in the event of resale later on in life. Decisons of this nature are tough and I value all of your opinions.
I bought my 260 new and don't regret it, but the 460 to me will be a luxury item.:dont-know:

There's a 660 Magnum on CL today just down the road from me for $525. Nice shape, runs good. Won't be there tomorrow if it lasts the day today. Too big for my needs and I already have an 044, or I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Point is, you could buy a 660 Mag for half of what you're getting ready to spend on your MS460. If you shop around and are patient, you WILL save a bunch of $$$ AND end up getting what you want -- maybe even faster than your dealer can deliver considering what he's claiming as lead times.

Just sayin...

Good luck whichever way you go!

:cheers:

Poge

West Coast MS 460 HO oiler is the bomb

Have both 1/2 wrap standard oiler and 3/4 wrap west coast version big dawgs ext cover and HO oiler no comparison in the two. Bought the WC version off Ebay new because my Stihl dealer advised that they only ship HO oiler versions to the western states mainly because there is "no need for long bars in the east". I bought a NEW MS 460 west coast off a logger for $725 delivered to my door. That HO oiler keeps a 32" bar in plenty of oil if I ran my 1/2 wrap standard oiler with it I would burn the paint off the bar in an hour. Hope this helps. You can get the parts to make it a HO oiler but I did not want to bother. I really like the 3/4 wrap with the West Coast set up anyway. Only drawback is it won't fit in that fancy plastic stihl chainsaw case or any other plastic protective case because of the wrap and the ext cover with big dawgs.

Thanks SAWZ

I see you are from Carlisle, you are only about 2-1/2 hours from me. It sounds like you went through the same ordeal. This is starting to make sense. I can't believe that it is so difficult for Stihl's shipping department to separate saws coming off the line and get them to the correct dealer. This information really helps. I would take the deal you got in a second. Do you guys think more saws show up for sale on C-List and E-Bay in the summer than during the winter months?

I couldn't say when they were most common to show up on ebay. Alot of the saws I see on ebay look beat and have quite a bit of cosmetic damage. I believe the one I bought was some loggers extra saw that was new in the box. I went specifically looking for the west coast version and got lucky. I seen a rescue version go for $800 new that was a steal. I been a long time reader here and sometimes have info to share this was something that intrigued me. I did lot of tracking down this HO oiler 460 thing in the east. I was told that saw manufacturers have EPA points pollution/environmental impact stuff and that is why they compromise for the weaned back oilers to most of the country and HO oilers only to western states. I was told this by more than 1 Stihl tech/dealer. If you would like I'll try to email you photos of the my 460 just PM me and I'll try. I not very techno enabled.

I couldn't say when they were most common to show up on ebay. Alot of the saws I see on ebay look beat and have quite a bit of cosmetic damage. I believe the one I bought was some loggers extra saw that was new in the box. I went specifically looking for the west coast version and got lucky. I seen a rescue version go for $800 new that was a steal. I been a long time reader here and sometimes have info to share this was something that intrigued me. I did lot of tracking down this HO oiler 460 thing in the east. I was told that saw manufacturers have EPA points pollution/environmental impact stuff and that is why they compromise for the weaned back oilers to most of the country and HO oilers only to western states. I was told this by more than 1 Stihl tech/dealer. If you would like I'll try to email you photos of the my 460 just PM me and I'll try. I not very techno enabled.

The tough thing about Stihl saws is that they hold their value so well. Best of luck finding what you want. I have had excellent luck buying used saws, but I have had enough experience to tell the good sellers from the bad ones.

I think if you are really picky about what you want, new is probably the best way to go.

Ordered New One

I ordered a new one yesterday, along with ho pump parts and dp muffler cover. It should be here in about 4 weeks. I wiil post some pictures when I get it.
Thanks to all that chimed in. I appreciate it very much!:hmm3grin2orange:

It's Here!

I picked up my MS460R this evening. I ordered it with a 32" bar. It came with the high output oiler allready installed. I also got a dual port muffler cover and a 25" bar with 3 chains. Bought a 6 pack of ultra oil and got the 2 year warranty as well. I can hardly wait to puy it in some wood! Here are the pictures, as promised. My 260 Pro is along for the ride too. Thanks for all the replies.:cheers:View attachment 173735View attachment 173734View attachment 173736View attachment 173733

I picked up my MS460R this evening. I ordered it with a 32" bar. It came with the high output oiler allready installed. I also got a dual port muffler cover and a 25" bar with 3 chains. Bought a 6 pack of ultra oil and got the 2 year warranty as well. I can hardly wait to puy it in some wood! Here are the pictures, as promised. My 260 Pro is along for the ride too. Thanks for all the replies.:cheers:View attachment 173735View attachment 173734View attachment 173736View attachment 173733
Congrats on the new saw

173735-chainsaw-001-jpg

173734-chainsaw-002-jpg

173736-chainsaw-003-jpg

173733-chainsaw-004-jpg

Back