Stihl ms461 Artic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowhog

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have been drooling over this Artic for some time now. Its listed locally for 850.00 and like new. For me to buy I would half to sell my 066 first. Yikes!artic.jpg artic 1.jpg

I have a couple of heated saws, and they're invaluable for winter use. Okay, maybe that wording is too strong. Yes, I can cut wood without them in the winter, but I really REALLY appreciate having the heat. My hands don't get cold when I'm splitting or moving wood. It's running the saws or tractors where my fingers suffer because I'm not moving my fingers as much. The heated handles really are a treat.

Personally, without knowing much about your situation, I'd be inclined to make the trade. An 066 is nice, but it's quite heavy compared to a 461. The 461 will pull that 25" bar of yours with absolutely no problem, and you'll enjoy the weight savings and heated handles quite a bit. I'd only keep the 066 over the 461 if you regularly needed to bury a 28"+ bar. Or, you just like having way more power than necessary (totally acceptable reason :)). Also, the 461 will have considerably less vibrations for the user.

I know the cold finger feeling for sure those late fall mornings can be a bugger. Are both handle heated on that baby?

Do you cut often in freezing temps? If not, you're just adding more weight to the saw. They would be incredible if you cut in that environment though!
Two years ago a friend and I cleared out a oak grove we cut pretty much all winter on weekends. It was a mild winter but still we had some single digits & teens in the mornings. Best time for me to cut is when its cold I hate bugs. How much weight does it add?

I wouldn't be without the heated handles. It would be a no brainier decision for me.
My situation is that 90% or better of my cutting is in the winter.
Although the heating does also help if you have arthritis or carpel tunnel.
Anyway my vote goes for heat if you can justify and afford it. If not a cup of hot cider or whatever your liking between cuts will get the job done if need be.

Weight wise. I can't tell the difference between my 372xp and 372xpg . I'm sure there is a small difference, but it's probably less than half a pound.

Steven

Two years ago a friend and I cleared out a oak grove we cut pretty much all winter on weekends. It was a mild winter but still we had some single digits & teens in the mornings. Best time for me to cut is when its cold I hate bugs. How much weight does it add?
I have no idea on the weight difference. If you're cutting in the winter, GO FOR IT!!! Unless you're running a 32" bar or longer, I'd rather have the 461 than the 066 anyway.

Latest posts

Back