Stihl now at JD Dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who does own them now, I thought Elux cut them loose a few years ago. Do you mean stockholders now??

As far as I know, that didn't occur. Just checked, they still own them.

One last thing...As for Husky selling mowers...they should stick to chainsaws. There are other companies out there that make quality mowers and that is there specialty.

If memory servers me correctly they own 2 of the 4 deck manufactures (Elux). The intent seems to be the use of a high recognition name, like Husky, and high volume distribution (Box Stores) backed up by local service centers (Ma n Pa saw shops)...

Whats interesting is the original subject of this thread is exactly who they wanted to go after, least on the consumer side of things.

Last edited:
Each JD dealer has to qualify independently, and part of that is tech training..

Yep... Would have been a great move for Dolmar or Husky, but... you snooze you loose...;)

Dolmar? :monkey: You ever seen one of them? :monkey:

Also Deere more likely approached Stihl than the other way around. Deere is getting rid of all of its hand tool lines. Been in the works for a long time now.

Our local JD dealer recently got his Stihl display up and stocked. With a blizzard looming I ran in to get some tractor parts and noticed the display. I grabbed some oil, a spare 16" chain and a 3 pack of files and headed home without looking at prices. Prices were high-compared to another local Stihl dealer, 6 pack of Stihl oil was $4 higher, Chain $8 higher, and get this a 3 pack of files was $39. I brought the files back-they thought it was a pricing error. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with other Stihl dealers and let my JD dealer do what he does best-keep my green and yellow machines running.

JD dealer here charges $1.25 per Stihl file. Loose. They said that they will not sell the 3-packs because of the rediculous high price. Local Stihl dealer down the road is now closed as a result of the new JD-Stihl dealer. But the local shop only sprang up after the big Stihl/ATV shop across ths street closed a few years before. JD Stihl dealer is better than the closer Stihl shop to me. Those goons refused to order me some parts for a Troy-Bilt tiller, and they are snobs. The JD dealer also has a cute young blonde at the cash register. Worth the extra few miles alone to get that smile. ;)

For me its the JD dealer for my Stihl parts from now on! :greenchainsaw:

This may be wierd but the big stihl dealer west of tulsa (okc) sells both stihl and husky power equipment-saws,blowers,weedeaters etc. As well as Cubcadet Mowers and power equipment. No husky mowers but everything else and has done so for a long time. Right across the street from them is a big John Deere dealer and the only power equipment they sell is Redmax!!!! :monkey: -dave-

In the 70s, Huskys were only sold by logging supply and equiopment dealers. And Husky only had pro saws too-. Our dealer opened at 6am and they were busy most mornings. many repairs were done while you wait, they had the parts and when they didnt have the part- it was repaired usually within 48 hrs. The Husky dealer didnt sell all the crap homeowner stuff like they do today. We were dedicated customers too-many times we drove a hour or so so p/u oil, files and they had skidder cables, made hydraulic hose and ets. Sure miss that dealer-Im a strong believer that when you find a good dealer-you stick with them and dont buy my saw supplies from the the big boxes.

One other thing that I do- when Im at the husky dealer and a Pro guy comes in the store, I offer to let them go first- try to help the folks who make a living with saws:greenchainsaw:

J'red isn't owned by Husky, J'red is a Husky with a different paint scheme and different handle bar. I think they are a better looking saw than the solid orange Husky but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Tant serving no Brandy, pepsi or coffee only. If that doesn't work I got a ball bat in the back room for those buyers that aren't buying, they will,LOL
Ah that's what I meant anyway too much Brandy in me over the holidays's:cheers: I always's figured you would have a Stihl in the back room (play on words for ya)Brings a whole new meaning to Alcohol powered saw's.

This may be wierd but the big stihl dealer west of tulsa (okc) sells both stihl and husky power equipment-saws,blowers,weedeaters etc. As well as Cubcadet Mowers and power equipment. No husky mowers but everything else and has done so for a long time. Right across the street from them is a big John Deere dealer and the only power equipment they sell is Redmax!!!! :monkey: -dave-

Not weird, John Deere dealers can carry any handheld line that they want. Stihl is the preferred option though. More than likely the JD rep will have this store get rid of the Redmax and put in Stihl.

I may have faulty info, but a sales guy at the nearest JD dealer told me years ago that they were forced to quit handling Husky by JD who wanted them to stock "their" saws--this was before EFCO (maybe Echo). I actually got a great deal on an Husky 50 because they were closing them out. Then EFCO, now they are dropped and it is Stihl. They are starting to sound like Sears used to be- whoever has the best deal for them is their supplier for now. Do you suppose they will stay with this arrangement? I feel sorry for the 3 local Stihl dealers in the area who will have a smaller piece of the pie now. Two of those dealers have been around for a long time and are pretty reputable--the other I'm not sure about (never heard anything bad though). Kind of like the local small Sears store who has been at it for a long time (mainly tools, lawn and garden and appliances). Now you can get a lot of that stuff at K-Mart. It just doesn't seem right when the little guy has been at it establishing a reputation and name recognition all these years and then Craftsman (Sears) or Stihl changes the playing field on them.

JD dealer here charges $1.25 per Stihl file. Loose. They said that they will not sell the 3-packs because of the rediculous high price. Local Stihl dealer down the road is now closed as a result of the new JD-Stihl dealer. But the local shop only sprang up after the big Stihl/ATV shop across ths street closed a few years before. JD Stihl dealer is better than the closer Stihl shop to me. Those goons refused to order me some parts for a Troy-Bilt tiller, and they are snobs. The JD dealer also has a cute young blonde at the cash register. Worth the extra few miles alone to get that smile. ;)

For me its the JD dealer for my Stihl parts from now on! :greenchainsaw:

Yes, I know the exact JD dealer you're talking about and I agree that Stihl dealer that went tits up was a poor excuse for a business. They never had parts in stock and would only order them prepaid and would only do it when they were going to send out a regular order unless the customer paid their freight.

The JD blonde is cute.:) It helped defray my anger when I paid them $400+ for a new fuel tank for my 1070.

Deere and Stihl

When I was at school in the ADK's, the local stihl dealer was at one time a JD dealer, and they could still get some JD parts. When I asked the parts guy why they were no longer a JD dealer, he replied that "John Deere dropped them for not doing enough business". Oh well, they are a great dealer anyhow. Up until that point they had carried JD and stihl side by side for years.

Our local john deere dealer has sold Stihl for over 16 years now they are very know there saws and equipment. They sell john deere hand held equipment to but they will be the first to tell you to stick with the stihl equipment. I was going to buy one of the big John deere saws when I worked for john deere and got a 40% discount but they talked me out of it and told me to stick with stihl. I didn't know that being a John deere employee even though I did not work at the dealer ship you still get a discount on stihl equipment.

Latest posts

Back