stihl reliability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought 2 Stihl 044's about ten years ago.... On both saws the pull cords broke in the first few months. Since then I have done no repairs and never had a problem with either saw until last week when one wouldn't start.
I don't work them that hard, cause I don't do firewood and usually have the logs picked up with a prentice loader, and don't work trees much in the winter and for 5-6 weeks in the fall.
I got new Stihl 440 and 460 when Isabel hit in 03. Used them on the stump grinding crew. The old 44's still see plenty of action.
Anyhow, I haven't looked over the saw yet, and not sure if I should take it into the overpriced local shop or not. But I really appreciate a saw that has been that reliable for so long.

I think you left out an important part about your saws, Daniel, and thats maintence and cleaning. The best saw that never gets taken care of is destined for a short life, IMO.
-Ralph

I'm running 3 Stihls right now. A 191T, 360 Pro, and a 660. I agree with Begley, Maintenance is everything. I only run Stihl oil in it and keep extra filters in the bag. The thing I have noticed with these saws is the filters need to be checked every day. I have a ground man who also works for another service that uses all Huskys. I asked him what he would buy if he were to buy a saw, He said without a doubt a Husky. Ford or Chevy, they all get the job done, just take care of them. Pete

Hey Murphy4trees

Try this first, pull the plug out and connect it to the lead and crank the sucker to see if it sparks, you might have to earth it to the chasis.

If no spark try a new plug but chances are the electric magneto thingo in the starter cord side of the saw is full of crap or buggered.

Pitty your all the way over there as I got 2 buggered 44's sitting in my garage for spare parts. I go through a 44 every six to 12 months ...

I used to go thru a Husky 372 in 3 months! Husky's suck. And having owned Husky's is what converted me to Stihl 5 years ago.

Maintenence is key,but it depends on how much you use the saw,I get about 800 trouble free hours out of my falling saws, they last around a year in the woods, in town that can take 2-3 years to reach that time. Stihl,Husky abouttthe same. That Dolmar thing I'm still not so sure about kind of seem to be even more finicky than a Husky.

Stumper said:
Actually, Dolmars are the best. :p
What! Next you will be saying Home Lite is the best!
Jokes

Go Stihl, Ekka i still cant believe how hard that 025 of your goes for what it is!

I took my 460 to the shop for a tune, and the pricks snaped the adjusting screw off in the carb body!

Jim1NZ said:
I took my 460 to the shop for a tune, and the pricks snaped the adjusting screw off in the carb body!

Now you can see why I'm the way I am, remember when you were over and we were chatting about "who does your repairs and maintenance", it's hard to find some-one who's real good and knows what they're doing.

I bet those lazy chits didn't pull the cover off and clean up around the carby to do a visual on it, nah ... they probably just jammed a screw driver down the little hole and stuffed around, it's all chockers with saw dust and crap then bingo ... derr the screws busted boss! :dizzy:

I'd take my 025 over an 026 anyday. You just gotta run that 3/8 picco chain like on the 020. And mines been flogged!

Dude that sucks! I would tell the dealer if they dont make it good then you will ship your saws to be serviced!

No service is better than bad service.

Latest posts

Back