Stihl S10 mystery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, just picked up a s10, (not the truck!). I started to remove the bar, and discovered I didn't know how! :angry: seems like in addition to the bar nuts I also have to remove several screws in the handle? Is that correct? Those of you familiar with these please respondIMG_2785.jpegIMG_2786.jpeg

Just the two bar nuts and the screw below oil cap on side. The whole cover comes off with the front handle

These also had a support that was clamped to the handle and fit into a recess under the saw. Looks like yours is missing which may explain the broken mount on the oil tank. See photo of my S10 rear handle.

Attachments

• DSCN3285.JPG
    DSCN3285.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Definitely an 08 with an S10 sprocket cover. The s10 has a black rear handle and I remember a top air filter. The wrap around handle extension is either home made or a very rare accessory. I vote for home made.
The crack on the handle mount is not uncommon. Just don't pull hard on the handle.

@Hdtoolmkr765 know anything about the add-on wrap handle?
I’ve seen very similar auxiliary wrap handles on a couple saws. I’ve seen them that appeared to be cast aluminum and some that were steel. This one appears to be more of a homemade copy of the style I’ve seen before. For some reason I never did much deep research on the 07, 08, S10 saws.

Definitely an 08 with an S10 sprocket cover. The s10 has a black rear handle and I remember a top air filter. The wrap around handle extension is either home made or a very rare accessory. I vote for home made.
The crack on the handle mount is not uncommon. Just don't pull hard on the handle.
There were actually 2 versions of the S-10, there was a “top handle” version which was identical to the 08S, and the “rear handle” version which is the one you are referring to with the black plastic rear handle. This saw posted by the OP can certainly be an S-10.

Hi, just picked up a s10, (not the truck!). I started to remove the bar, and discovered I didn't know how! :angry: seems like in addition to the bar nuts I also have to remove several screws in the handle? Is that correct? Those of you familiar with these please respond
That is correct, horrible design on the clutch cover/tank on those saws. PITA

Latest posts

Back