Stihl Starter Pawl Keeps Breaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagull369

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
View attachment 235693

I've replaced these lil boogers more times I can count on my saw. Anyone know if I can buy one that's a bit sturdier? Keeps breaking the same way every time (the one on the top in the pic). Part number I've been using is 1125-195-7200...

I am going to say it is not the part, it is the way you start the saw. You probably won't change so it is a good thing those little booggers are cheap. Keep buying because Stihl loves you.

Thanks for the replies. I've been using genuine stihl pawls and no, the saw doesn't have a decompressor. I emailed Stihl and as rupedoggy alluded to guess I'm not starting the saw correctly. Here's their suggestion:

Pull the rope slowly until the pawl engages the flywheel and then pull quickly on the rope.
This will keep the starter pawl from "slamming" into the flywheel and it will last much longer.

Will give it a try and hope for the best..

does your saw have only a single pawl in it? had the same problem with my 034's and 036's, but got put 2 pawls in in and used the 044 spring clip and never had a problem since. hope this helps.

You can likely go to a two-pawl setup. I would still suggest changing your starting technique. You should take the slack out of the rope on ANY recoil setup when starting. What saw is this on? I guess MS-290.

I agree with the saw doc. Get into the habit of engaging the pawl before you pull it. Just lift the handle until you feel it catch. I do it and don't even realize it. Gotta get used to doing that way or you'll be buying many more pawls.:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back