Stihl VS Carlton bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the westspartan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am in need of a 32" bar to run on my 441. I just got access to some BIG oak and walnut logs. Bailey's has the Carlton bars on sale for $46.95 and I can get a Stihl ES bar for $72. What would you do? Is the Stihl bar worth the extra cheese? I had thought about a reduced weight bar, but I don't plan on using that bar enough to worry about the weight too much.

I don't think you can beat an ES bar, but a 32 thats not going to be used a bunch, I would go Carlton. I have this 28" Carlton made by Tsumura, they are great bars. Tsumura makes Total and others, I like them.
arrowheadpioneer

That bar looks like my Total 28" bar. The finish stays looking good for a while on them too.

Go the Carlton. Stihl bars are excellent also but certainly no better and as always overpriced in my opinion.
If you're lucky enough to get a Carlton branded Tsumura bar then you've got the best bar on the market.

What the hell makes people think that Stihl bars are the only bars that can cut the mustard when the going gets tough?
I like Stihl bars, they are good, but to think they are "better" than all the other pro bars is a load of crap, PARTICULARLY if comparing with Tsumura.
Sorry to fire up but saying Stihl bars are good is one thing, but paying significantly more for one than any other bar cause you think you're getting the best bar you can get shows blind ignorance :chainsaw:

What the hell makes people think that Stihl bars are the only bars that can cut the mustard when the going gets tough?
I like Stihl bars, they are good, but to think they are "better" than all the other pro bars is a load of crap, PARTICULARLY if comparing with Tsumura.
Sorry to fire up but saying Stihl bars are good is one thing, but paying significantly more for one than any other bar cause you think you're getting the best bar you can get shows blind ignorance :chainsaw:

:agree2:

The 2 Total or Tsumura bars I have look way better than the one stihl es bar I've got. They are showing no visible wear that I can see and I've been using them since last summer.

Word of Caution with Carlton

The last Carlton bar I got (24" made in Germany) had way too much clearcoat slobbered all over it in bad places: when the bar got a little warm while buried in a 30" oak log, the clearcoat in and around the chain groove started melting into balls which plugged up the inside of the oiler hole. By the time the lack of oiling was noticeable (about 10-15 sec) the entire finish on the bar had started to look like ar$e and the chain was buggered. I then spent about an hour with a 2.5 mm allen wrench and a bar guide tool pulling out little balls of clearcoat from the grooves. I'd still use Carlton bars, but be very careful with this potential problem.

Last edited:

Makes perfect sense. I wouldn't suggest a Stihl bar over others because of quality - any bar will last you a long time if you don't beat the #### out of it. Some people have too much blind pride in what they spend their money on.

I'm talking about aesthetics though. ;)

There's nothing like a Stihl bar on a Stihl saw. :clap:

Looks like I'm going with the Stihl ES. A local dealer and AS member made me a deal I couldn't refuse! Now the choice is full comp or skip:) or both.

Good decision Sir. Support your local dealers when you can and prices are close. :clap:
Now when the dealers are ridicules with their pricing look else where. :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back