Stihl vs. Husky - need a recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a good saw don't buy a Stihl.

You could probably get good service from a high end homeowner saw like th Husky 455 Rancher or Echo CS-440. If you're planning on doing this stuff for a long time you'll need a pro saw, the Husky 359xp would do nicely.

If you are interested I have a like new 290 with a new 20" bar and chain and carrying case for $300. I was planning on listing it in the used section over the weekend.

You could probably get good service from a high end homeowner saw like th Husky 455 Rancher or Echo CS-440. If you're planning on doing this stuff for a long time you'll need a pro saw, the Husky 359xp would do nicely.

The 359 is definately not a xp, but it structurally it is the same as the 357xp, except for the engine - so it is pro quality saw, without pro performance, or something like that........:taped:

The other saws you mention are pure POS in comparison....:buttkick:

Last edited:

That was about the most narrow minded statement ever.

Buy something that has a dealer in your area.

Last edited:
If you were considering used, don't hesitate to check out what the A.S members may have. A good group on here and way more trust worthy than an auction type set up......at least that has been my experience.

Husky vs. Stihl is meaningless anyway, at a price point of 200$.......:taped:

For the wood in question, it needs at least to be trippled, to about 600$......

Last edited:
Husky vs. Stihl iks meaningless anyway, at a price point of 200$.......:taped:

My old 038 we got for $100 about 17 years ago. Probably equal to about $200 today. There's another guy on here that got a 038 mag in a pawnshop for $80, good buy, that just needed some oiler parts. Cheap fix. <$200. They're out there, you just gotta get lucky & run across a deal :)

You're entitled to your own opinions...but not your own facts.

:laugh:

Hey, if you are interested in the Dolmar 6400, check out the rental department at Home Depot. They sell used Makita 6401s (same saw) for around $220.

Last edited:
If you want a stihl keep and eye out for 039/390 not a pro class saw but for the average fire wood cutter ( 10 cord +- yr.) the saw would work fine. They get a bad rap around here but know alot of people with 039/390 class saw and they seem to work fine and I have seen them used for in the $200 price range. I have used them from time to time and have good power and seem tough but its all in how you take care of them also. I guy at work did pick up a makita 6400 ex rental on ebay for $225 but dont know the track record of those saws,the 039/390 has been around for about 14 yrs.+-.

Buy High

Sorry, I'm wimping out of working the woodlot this morning: 2 1/2 feet of white on the ground, 4 F, the coffee's good.:buttkick:

Here's what the M.B.A. wife/partner/manager/SWMBO says about value:
How long do you plan on using the tool ?
Average out the COST/YEAR just of the purchase price.
Don't go cheap with something that will be productive for say 10 years.
Go to the most reliable and knowledgable DEALER nearby that WILL back the saw when you cannot.
So say you buy a Stihl/Husky/Jonsered/Dolmar mid-sized pro saw for $500---
10 years cost for the purchase = $50/year. Less than cost of six-
packs for a year :givebeer:

Mother PPE speaking: "use it" . Spend some $$$$ on a full set.

:laugh:

Hey, if you are interested in the Dolmar 6400, check out the rental department at Home Depot. They sell used Makita 6401s (same saw) for around $220.

These saws have to be the best thing going at the $200 price point. This was $205 with 2 new chains and extra new air filter. The saw seems to be very well put together, mahle, very hard to bog with the 20" buried in oak.:chainsaw: When you round up another $200 you can make it a dolmar7900

I wouldn't buy a rental anything. You get what you pay for in most cases when it comes to saws. The ms260/026pro is what I would look for it is light nimble and has plenty of power. Someone just bought one from craiglist for 165.00 and it is mint condition. If you keep your eyes open you can finds the deals.

Last edited:
The Dolmar 6400 and Echo 520 seem like they'd fit the bill quite well. Not sure on pricing since I can't find any prices on line. The Echo is 3 lbs. lighter (including the bar...net weight on the Dolmar doesn't include the bar) and carries a 5 year warranty. I don't see any warranty info on the Dolmar.

Kinda funny that I was originally targetting a Husky or Stihl and I'm now interested in two other completely different brands. lol

Check out the saw classifieds........

Sleeper of the bunch

You might consider the Jonsered CS2165. From everything I've heard they have a ton of torque and are priced right around $520. Many say that they will cut with a CS2171 just not as high rpm. That saw is about $100 cheaper than a MS361 with more HP to boot. If I didn't already own a CS2171 that is what I would buy. If I were asked by a friend relative I would suggest the CS2165. The others are great too, I just think this offers more "bang for the buck".

Well 18" - 28' diameter trees, that's pretty big timber, a 70cc plus with long bar would breeze thru it, but with long bars and 70cc plus saws, the extra weight, unbalanced feel, more fuel consumption and $$$ starts to rear it's ugly head. For saving $$$, a 2nd-hand 036-360 18"-20" bar gives awesome performance while being light and flickable, the 2165 with 18"-20" not quite as nimble but toting a powerful relaxed motor and super-smooth to use - basically zero vibes. Good fuel economy and light enough to be comfortable all day long. Both saws professional grade and either would last a million years as casual all-rounder chainsaws pretty much capable of dealing to anything out there..

Latest posts

Back