stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who was it that said "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"?

As they get bigger, they get in the way more and effectively shorten the b&c. Why would one want ultra-long?

I know what Freud would say. :msp_ohmy:

Depends which saw you are putting them on..
Your STIHL Dealer should have them..
A few pics of my MS460 with larger STIHL Felling Dogs..
Great Bite in the Hardwoods and protect the muffler.
The Pro Safety Dogs are even larger..

I got the pro safety dogs on my 066's. I'm insecure because of my diminutive size and the big spikes make me feel safe in the woods. And like mud grips, More bigger is More badder. :msp_sneaky:

Also, never put on a set of spikes without tracing them on a page in your chainsaw notebook. The hot rods always make they own.

I almost ordered a set of the ones from Bailey's. I changed my mind and decided to do some reading first. The indecision came when I remembered someone saying that they were too big and tended to bog the saw down. I'm still not sure.

Anyone running the Bailey's pro falling dogs on a stock 372? If you are, what do you think? Did you upgrade the AV mounts?

The 4 point pro safety spikes are fine. The HUGE 5 point only work good on real thick bark and butt swells when falling. The put a lot of leverage on the bar also. I've tried both the 4 and 5 point on huskies and stihls and the 4 point I will by again but no more 5 point.

You can get them at Bailey's, or from your Stihl dealer. However, do not install them just because they look cool. If you don't need them (not cutting in heavy bark timber), otherwise, they are like painting flames on a race car. It looks faster, but does not help performance.

I do like double dawgs though, but you can double up on the standard size.

The 4 point pro safety spikes are fine. The HUGE 5 point only work good on real thick bark and butt swells when falling. The put a lot of leverage on the bar also. I've tried both the 4 and 5 point on huskies and stihls and the 4 point I will by again but no more 5 point.

Are the pro safety 4 points bigger than the bigger ones stihl makes?

Who was it that said "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"?

As they get bigger, they get in the way more and effectively shorten the b&c. Why would one want ultra-long?

I know what Freud would say. :msp_ohmy:

I used to think that way. Ever cut an old burr oak? Fight all you want but your little dog is useless in bark that has 2" furrows.

I have the stock ones, the 4 pt ones and the 5 pt ones, they all have their own pros and cons. Have the 5 pt on the 066 (Felling and bucking large thick bark stuff) the 4 on the 361 (felling and bucking large stuff but not large enough to warrant the 066, and the stock ones on 260 (limbing and the occasional bucking). I have also sworn at every one of them at one point as well. Sometimes the 5 pt are too agressive, sometimes the 4 arent agressive enough and sometimes the stock ones are perfect. I'd say for a good all around go for the 4 but be aware that there will be times when you would like one of the other 2.

My 460 is outfitted like PEKS. Those dogs are real handy cutting trees with heavy bark. My 041 has the smaller dogs. I will change them out some day for more aggressive ones but for now I keep telling myself they are adequate. I hate adequate.

Back