stihl044 vs husky372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckshot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just wondering what your opinions were on these two
saws. I have used the 044 and think it is sweet. I have also
heard very good things about the 372xp. Has anyone used both
and if so how would you compare the two, pros and cons? I
think the stihl pro models are excellent saws and would like to
here some opinions on how these saws stack up against each
other.
Thanks
buckshot

I had to get in and respond to this before Confused saw it and told us how awesome his 046 is:D . I have never used an 044 but i have used an 046, which has almost 1 more hp then the 044. The Husky will outcut the 044, all things being equal, and is about stride for stride with the 046. According to Ken "HotSaw" Dunn the 372XP has a little more potential than the Stihls in this range if you are interested in increasing the stock performance. I have never heard anything bad about the 044, it is just that there are saws out there now with a little power to weight ratio. All are awesome saws and you really cant go wrong picking any one of them.

Ah shucks HUSKYMAN beat me,

Buckshot, both saws are professional saws and will withstand grueling punishment and everyday, hair brained cutting. So it comes down to which model you like and how much you want to pay. The one thing I will say is that the 044 and 046 are lighter than the husky. So again it comes down to which model pleases your eyes. That’s about it, both are woodland terminators.

Best of luck with either buckshot

confused

O one thing I will say is which ever you purchase DON'T use Oregon chains, the most worthless pieces of **** ever to be sold to hard working Americans/Canadians. What a waste of perfectly good steal

here we go

all it boils down to is how much you want to spend - dont have experience personally with either one yet! but have a 372xp coming soon - value for money - i think the swedes (read scandinavia - lots of trees) have this competition sowed up from a long time ago - husky is the best (IMHO) and stihl makes a good expensive saw. the 1/2 - 1lb difference in saw weight??? i dont know how important it is to you in the end - look at the hp and durability and you wont want to have anything but a husky - good luck!!!

Confused according to the latest brochures the 372 XP, 13.0lbs w/o bar and chain, 044 13.5 lbs w/o bar and chain, 046 14.4 lbs w/o bar and chain. Go Husky!
Though to be fair the 046 has a teeny edge in lbs per horsepower, 2.38 for the 046 and 2.40 for the 372xp.

But tundraotto, YOU WILL notice a difference between 13 lbs and 14.4 pounds.

weight

huskyman, yes, while i agree completely that you will notice 1/2 + weight difference it is less important to other people. the weight just doesnt bother me at all - its my back that starts killing me after a few days.

as you know there are a million ways to weight a saw, dry, tanks full, powerhead only, long bar short bar. what i did find is that madsens gives the powerhead weights of 044 and 372xp as 14.5# and 14.75# respectively. personally i would have a really hard time noticing that difference.....

Last edited:

sorry forgot - 046 is 14.9# according to madsens. you can see how the weights fluctuate from what the manufacturers state....

Its really hard to say which is better, 372 vs 044, the 372 has5.4 hp stock, the 044 has 5.1 stock.these are the best medium size saws stihl and husky make. the quad loop design that husky uses makes more horsepower.they extend down into the case and allow a larger amount of air fuel mixture to be drawn into the case so you have more mixture to be pushed up to the combustion chamber. the stihl transfer system is to small and shrouded and you can't open the case up like you can on huskys. you can make about 20 percent more power with the 044 and about 45 percent more power with the 372. I have both saws and when you go out and cut wood for 4 to 6 hours the 044 is the saw that we like. even tho the 372 is suspended on coil springs instead of rubber mounts the 044 is smoother to run . when you transport the saw or set it on the garage floor the husky saws always siphon some bar oil out and you have a puddle on your garage floor or pickup floor mat. when you cut till your tank is empty the stihl tank is a see thru tank so you 've already stopped and filled the tank. thats a lot better on the saw motor than running it lean as it runs out of gas. when you cut for a period of time with both saws the 044 just seem to be better balanced or comfortable. We modify three huskys to every stihl but my vote would be for the 044 for a modified fallers saw

Ok,

First of all it was mine understanding that the stihl's were a touch lighter, it seems that is quite relative. So then the point of Scandinavia has lots of trees, so obviously the Swedish design must be superior. I refute that on this basis: the first chainsaw was designed, built, and manufactured by Stihl therefore more heritage, Germany has been the center of the engineering world for decades (First operation jet fighter, first intercontinental ballistic missile, porche (3.6 liter inline 6 cylinder motor with 465hp), NASA was built with German engineers, o and Germany has some trees too) Now enough about that, so like I said before its the difference in weight (and there are differences albeit small) and differences in price, which I did mention previously. Now I bought a Stihl because I was more impressed by the fit and finish of their product than that of the husky. It has nothing to do with if one is better or not, I just liked the looks of the stihl. I paid a little more for the stihl however, only thing i would do diffently is buy an 066 instead.

confused

O and for you Harley Dav. guys the new VROD motor, yeah that was designed, built, and tested by Porche (in Germany no less) so even the All American motorcycle has a touch of German in it.

Last edited:
Geese, I didnt want to start another Husky vs Stihl war but here we go again. It is a testament to these saws design that they are close enough in performance that we have to him and haw about 1/2# here or 1/2 hp there. The Husky is cheaper so you bought the right one. Just dont cut your leg off

HUSKYMAN and I do agree on a couple things, both are terrific products. Both have either own unique features (air injection for the husky, trade market chain and oil system for the Stihl) so the only thing it comes down to is product appearance and the price. Husky is cheaper and cheaper looking, but will cut wood the same as any comparable stihl. So in the end does it matter what the thing looks like, NO unless your an anal retentive bastard like me who requires a professional product with a professional appearance. The war is over because both cut the !@#$ out of trees all day long one just looks better doing it.

confused

Ah HuskyMan, its personal preferences now, what looks like @#$% to one person is a beauty to another. "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder” then your other comment can be attributed to how a person takes care of his/her piece of equipment. If you beat it (husky, stihl, etc…) and then do not take care of it of course it will look disheveled. That however is not a reflection of the product it is in fact a reflection of the owner.

confused

Your "Confused".

The first gasoline powered chain saw came from Dolmar Sachs. (not Stihl)

davefr,

check your history books. I think the guys first name was (Adolfus) dont qoute me on it but his last name was STIHL and he made the first chainsaw period. I know this is fact because i have: one read about it in magazines, and two watched a program on my favorite cable channel (History Channel) depicting Stihl with his (first ever) chainsaw.

confused

yes, and the year was 1926.

husqvarna came up with their first saw in 1959 (model 90) - 33 years later.

OK, Stihl made the first chainsaw but it was either hydraulic or electric. It was Dolmar Sachs that produced the first gasline powered chainsaw.

Back