still ms250 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wondered if I need to seek a new/used case. Or waive the flag and sell it for parts. I hate bailing on the project, but I hate being a fool, too.
I think we've all gone down rabbit holes on some projects. Good experience gained though. I'd shelve it, never know when a good case might fall in your lap. New MS 250s on sale sometimes $300. I've sold some like new for a lot less so can't put much into a rehab. Small saw that I run the snot out of is an 028 salvaged from a fire. Runs strong. Haven't done anything to except clean soot and ash.
6815ece5f68aa0dc807f712c9bd9a541.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

May be time to gather the family together and discuss end of life decisions. DNR? Good organ donor of piston and cylinder to transplant into a good case that may have scored pc ??

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Yep, sounds like too late to even call in hospice. Do Not Resuscitate. (DNR)

We have all been their few times.;)

Check your PM.

The O.P. has asked me to hop back into this thread with both feet.

First off, we need more, better pics of what you have, and a response to some questions.

You say that you have replaced the saw's main bearings, and also the oil pump. How did you replace the oil pump? How did you determine that the new pump is at the correct depth and direction?
Put up some pics of the case with everything off, the new clutch, the sprocket [both sides]. Does the remains of the old worm gear spin easily? Come off?

If you used an After Market oil pump, that might be the problem. The last one I bought was undersized and went in too deep. It was too loose. So no way to use it.
Put in an Oem Stihl pump and it fit fine.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I must have misspoken. I bought an OEM oil pump to put in, but when I went to do this last night I discovered the melted worm gear and the burning in the new clutch. So I never did replace the oil pump from the original melt down. It is original. In the initial repair I did replace the clutch/case, bearing, worm gear (all OEM) and the 2 main bearings (not OEM). And I lightly ground some melted high spots on the plastic case to get the clutch case to sit flush/spin freely. More pics in a bit. Thank you!

ok. here are some pics. let me know what else you need. the old worm gear won't come off, but I just tugged on it with my hand. I didn't try pliers or prying. See post just above: I never have replaced the oil pump. That was what I was hoping to do when I discovered this.

Attachments

• IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3921.JPG
    IMG_3921.JPG
    789.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3923.JPG
    IMG_3923.JPG
    808.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3924.JPG
    IMG_3924.JPG
    920.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3925.JPG
    IMG_3925.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3926.JPG
    IMG_3926.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
when I put the new worm gear on a few weeks ago when I rebuilt it, it just dropped on there, and rotated freely. I was too new to this to note if the oil pump spun, but it must have since I cut 4 tanks worth with it. But, when I opened it up this time, the wire was hanging lose and everything was melted. I'm assuming that brown piece that I'm touching with the pick is the core of the worm gear, right? I can't get it off. And the oil pump won't turn, either.

Attachments

• IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    916.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3928.JPG
    IMG_3928.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Back