stolen stuff on Craigslist?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I myself would rather meet at a public place instead of my house, in case they are a undesirable.

Agreed. On the one hand, I get why someone wanting to meet in the home depot parking lot would raise alarm bells, but a lot of us reputable folks just dont want random strangers coming to our house & seeing how many other saws we have etc.

My rule is just like yours: if i get a bad feeling, I dont buy it (or go see it, in your case). Never second-guess your gut.

I do a good bit of buying and selling on Craigslist, and there are a few simple rules I always follow when making a deal.

I always have two copies of the bill of sale, both get signed, and I keep one. I also write down their phone number on my copy,and I always jot down their license plate number as well. Most times I catch the plate number as they pull into the parking lot so they dont know, but sometimes I have had to resort to going and looking with them standing there. Both copies get the serial number recorded on the receipt as well as the purchase price.

I always meet in a public place where there are lots of cameras and lots of folks around, and I pick the time of day.No late nights, dark parking lots,etc

I never carry cash in my pocket, its kept in a locked box in the truck.After I look the item over, I make an offer, and if they accept the deal I leave the item on the hood of the truck, retrieve the cash, and make the swap.When I turn to go back to the truck to get the cash, they can plainly see the 9mm in my waistband under my tshirt.

When I get home, I attach the bill of sale to all printed out copies of the craigslist ad, as well as all emails from the seller/buyer and they are filed away.

Very smart ideas.

I don't know if John Q. Public can access registration info, but it makes sense that an authorized Stihl dealer could. That said, I'm sure that many saws legitimately change hands without the registration being changed/updated.

Yeah, basically the story goes. He told me he purchased a new 261 last september.

I looked and the name of a company was etched into the bottom of the saw w/ an equipment number. He was also wearing the shirt of this same company.

I did not alert him to the fact of what I saw on the bottom of the saw. I asked where he worked, and blah, blah, blah. I said, "Did you work for X company?" which was on his shirt and on the saw.

He says he hasn't worked there in 5 years. So, I ask why is the name of the company on the bottom of the saw. He never directly answers but assures me it was not a saw from X company and it was not stolen.

So, I figure one of the following is occuring:

1.) He is lying about it being purchased by him and he bought the saw from said company, directly or through auction.

2.) Lying about no longer working there, or when he used to work there and stole the saw. (261 isn't old enough to have been stolen back when he said he worked there)

3.) Knows someone working there and they are stealing for him.

I know the company, they are a very large utility company.

I can't see any reason he would have put the company's name on the bottom.

I personally wouldn't deal with anyone who needs to wear a gun to conduct a Craigslist transaction.

I "wear" a gun to every CL transaction. Then again, I always have mine, so not sure if that counts. :msp_biggrin:

I have people come to my house, we never go inside. Other than that, they can see everything from the road they can see from the driveway. I don't talk about what else I have unless I am selling and I believe they are buying.

I "wear" a gun to every CL transaction. Then again, I always have mine, so not sure if that counts. :msp_biggrin:

We haven't reached a level of crime yet where I live as to raise the bar of paranoia where the average person needs to have a gun on them-
and I feel pretty lucky about that. There are definitely areas of the country where I can see the merits of having a firearm on you though.

Like others have mentioned, meeting in a well-known public place during the day time seems to be the best policy. I've met several people
in their homes though and even ended up sharing a meal or at least few drinks with some, but that's a rare occurrence. One old guy
had me stacking boxes and equipment in his barn and then ended up giving me the item because his son was too lazy to help him.

The only precautions I take are don't meet with people late at night (although truth be told ive never had a seller ask to meet at such a time), don't invite people into your house or go into people's houses-all deals I do in front of the house. But otherwise than that ive never had a seller tell me to meet them at a gas station, walmart parking etc... ive even had one seller come to my house.

If I have to have a deal made at my house I try to keep them outta the garage,but if they end up in there I have lots of ammo laying around in the garage in plain sight. Pretty good indicator of whats gonna happen if you come back after hours. Shotty in my bed room loaded and ready to go, bang!! give me back that saw!!

A theif ain't coming back after hours or before hours if anyone is around. All that ammo laying around is gonna be like a dinner bell going off in that theifs head. He'll case that ammo just like he's casing your other stuff, and chances are he'll have leads on who the guns will be sold to by what ammo is laying around. Guns in full veiw don't deter theives unless he has priors and knows the guns will send him upstate for the required minimum.

We just had a news story the other nite about a Pittsburgh city employee who bought $20,000 worth of Husky chainsaws and sold them. They were hush hush as to details of how he sold them other than that he tried blaming another employee and his little caper unraveled. I told several members about the great deals on new 376's and 390's that were advertised on Pittsburgh's CL. I think thats where these saws were sold by where the saws were advertised for sale at, and by where the news story showed this dealer was at from where the saws were bought. I actually emailed the guy asking if he had any 346's or 353's.

I won't do a CL deal anywhere near where I live. At least an hour away is my minimum. If it ain't worth the drive, it's not something I want.

Use the beater car and dress "down" so I'm just one notch above bridge living. Pay cash and let them drive away first unless we are at their house/business.

Times are tough, some folks are trying to get by any way they can. I get that. I just don't need to tempt anyone with my stuff.

I won't do a CL deal anywhere near where I live. At least an hour away is my minimum. If it ain't worth the drive, it's not something I want.

Use the beater car and dress "down" so I'm just one notch above bridge living. Pay cash and let them drive away first unless we are at their house/business.

Times are tough, some folks are trying to get by any way they can. I get that. I just don't need to tempt anyone with my stuff.

MN far enough away? WoW! That's a lot of work. Was there any particular event that caused you to go to such existence? Maybe I'm too trusting?

This is borderline paranoia IMHO

Damn, just how bad are things getting in your area of NorCal?
Two hours roundtrip, seriously?
Have you considerred not pursuing deals on CL?

I personally wouldn't deal with anyone who needs to wear a gun to conduct a Craigslist transaction.
No one ever sees mine.. a 380acp isn't my first choice of defense..but the element of surprise goes a long way..
Never needed and hope I never do...but always plan for the worst..

A year or so ago, I saw a great deal on Craigslist for a medium sized Stihl that was supposedly in near new shape. When I called, the guy wanted to meet me at a gas station. I understand that Craigslist sellers often don't want people coming to their houses, with good reason. But how do you evaluate what's a good deal from a cautious seller, and what's someone selling stolen property.

I did not go look at the saw because it gave me a bad feel.

I bought a ms660 that was pretty beaten up and was missing a muffler front and a break but ran ok except it wouldn't idol. No bar. I payed about $250 for it (I can't remember the exact price) but like I said it was beat. they guy said it was his stump saw. we lived more than 1 hour apart so we met at a gas station.

I never thought anything of it until I read your post.

I always figured that people would not offer things they stole on craigs because they would be seen. But I don't think like a crook and they may have different ideas all together.

When I go to a cl deal i get out with two .44 mags in each hand and an AR slung...

Funny you say that..I had my friend inside the house with a rifle two months ago when someone came to buy my 3wheeler off CL.
I sold my cherry Honda 1986 ATC250R and let him test ride it...had my VFR800 INTERCEPTOR ready to go if he tried to run off on it.
He worked for the border patrol and was a good guy.
Like the say..hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Back