Storing Green Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry this post is coming in sort of late to the game; earlier in the thread someone was asking about a cheap source of tarps for their wood pile. I have a lumber yard near me that gives away the black tarps that their loads arrive under. The crew strips the load and folds and ties them into whatever size bundles they feel like, but the price is great ($0). Normally they would just dispose of them after the big truck is unloaded. If you have a real lumber yard near you, not a box store, it might be worth a quick stop to ask.

I also agree with Wet1 it’s not at 20% but still burns well and lasts longer. It also depends on how long the tree has been on the ground on the ground before its split. My wood is down for at least a year, resting high off the ground. I stack it when I move it to the house and yes your right it’s easier to get when it’s stacked. I find I can split faster if I just throw it. I was going to attach some jpegs but they are too big.

how do you guys stack your 'logs'? I've been stacking my 3-4' long logs in a pile about 5-6' high and about 30' long. Will stacking tightly like this air out okay?

I would say yes, cut wood dries from the ends. So stacking allows more exposure to the elements ( sun and wind ) than piling it. I havent heard anything against using taller stacks I have seen 6 foot stacks on here and think nothing of going that high with mine. Nothing against piling it up except it takes up more space this way.

The shorter the billets are cut the faster it will dry also. This doubles the amount of exposed drying area halving the drying time..

Sorry to disagree with you,old buddy, but wood dries very little from the ends.Take a look at an unsplit piece of wood: the cracks at the end go in only a fraction of an inch and stop.It is only when you expose the verticle grain of the wood that it dries.You can prove this to your own self by measuring a piece of wood through the drying process.It will not shrink in length, but it will shrink in width and thickness.That's why the bark falls off.

Last edited:
Back