Storing Saws and other 2stoke Equipment for Winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLC03

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a unique problem this winter. I live in Pennsylvania, the temp this morning was 24 degrees F. The last week it dipped below 20. I'm getting my equipment winterized, usually everything is stored with Sta-bil fuel stabilizer in our cold garage. This year I have to store nearly everything outside, under many tarps held down from wind with ratchet straps from my trailer.

I have my mowers about half full tanks with Sta-bil run through them already, same with my Little Wonder blower on wheels (honda 4stroke).

The QUESTION is: Should I just empty my saws, trimmers, blowers and let them sit with what little fuel they have in their lines. Or should I just put Sta-bil in fresh mix and run the stuff for a while then store it, so the lines don't freeze and crack.

I'm pretty sure I answered my own question. But since I have to store stuff outside under tarps as opposed to storing it in my cold garage I figured its best to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

empty the tanks completey and then start them and let them idle till they run out of gas

empty the tanks completey and then start them and let them idle till they run out of gas

Yep,
Been doing that for years with all of my 2-stroke stuff.

Because of the E-10, the last few years, I've been doing the same to my 4 stroke stuff.

personally, i dont use stabil, and i dont run anything dry and i have never had a problem and i basically have everything stored outside. i do start things once or twice during the winter for a few minutes. however, if you have a lot of toys and starting all of them for a few mins is just not practical, i would run the 2 strokers dry i guess. i am not really a fan of running 2 strokes dry because it takes that many more pulls to get it stated again after being dry. and with a 2 stroke, those pulls are "non-lubricated" piston cycles. maybe it just isnt enough to matter i guess.

Yep,
Been doing that for years with all of my 2-stroke stuff.

Because of the E-10, the last few years, I've been doing the same to my 4 stroke stuff.

:agree2:
and on a side note, it never ceases to amaze me how long a saw will idle with an empty fuel tank. (So much for guys not letting their saws warm up because they feel it's a waste of fuel)

and on a side note, it never ceases to amaze me how long a saw will idle with an empty fuel tank. (So much for guys not letting their saws warm up because they feel it's a waste of fuel)

After they shut off for the first time, the saws will usually start again 3 or 4 more times.

I prefer to get as much fuel out of the carb and lines as I can.

i bet that 361 i have stored now idled for a couple of minutes before it started to run out. Then it fired a few more times with choke all the way on.

After they shut off for the first time, the saws will usually start again 3 or 4 more times.

I prefer to get as much fuel out of the carb and lines as I can.

i bet that 361 i have stored now idled for a couple of minutes before it started to run out. Then it fired a few more times with choke all the way on.

yup, (and I'm always fighting the temptation to goose the throttle)

You guys are nuts. Would you run your car engine without oil????

For 2-strokes and stabil to fuel and top off tank...top off bar oil tank....add a cap full of premix through sparkplug hole and pull a few times to get oil to coat cylinder walls....Might not be the easieat way but it's better than running your saw without oil..:dizzy:

Not running the saws with out oil.
As long as there is fuel, there should be oil in it.

I've got a 15 year old 026 that will testify that it hasn't minded one bit.
It's sat up to 1 1/2 years on an empty tank/lines/carb, and started right up the next time it was needed.

Bought that 026 new in 1995 and I would guess it's done at least 35 cords of firewood.
I believe the compression was close to 168 the last time I checked it.

Other than bar, chains, sprockets, clutch drum, clutch needle bearing, and spark plugs, not a single thing has been changed on that saw yet.

Stihl ;) runs like a top.

Have you considered Star-tron Star-brite Enzime fuel treatment. My Stihl dealer swears by it. The boating crowd has been using it for years. Do a search on this site and you will find a lot of opinions on it.

Why do so many of you add Stabil? Most of the chainsaw oils have fuel stabilizer in them. Isn't this good enough?

I buy the marine version of Stabil for the boat, mower and quad.

It is a tad more concentrated and worked out to be a little more economical when I figured out how many gallons it treats.

If I forget

I have got into the habit of returning fuel mix to the container after
every use. If a saw or other 2-stroke has got stiff after long storage, I will spray lube down spark plug hole until it turns over smooth with plug out, seems to help getting foul mix & moisture out of lower end too.

Ok, thanks for the quick replys gentlemen. I think this is what I am going to do based on the general consensus of guys that actually store their 2stroke equipment outside for the winter.

Winter Procedure
1. Empty Saws/Trimmers/Blowers
2. Run until totally empty (choke and repeat if necessary until empty)

Spring Procedure
3. Make a spray bottle of 93octane/redmax 2stroke oil mix and spray a shot in the sparkplug hole
4. Pull cord gently a couple of times (with sparkplug removed) to turn the gasoline/oil mix against the cylinder wall/piston
5. replace spark plug
6. add my normal mixture of 93octane/RedMax 2stroke earl
7. Prime/Purge 3 or 4 times till ball fills with fuel
8. Fire 'Er Up

Can someone with some experience please verify that this is a good/acceptable practice?

I think I am going to try this this season. I used to be a Stabil and Store in a cold garage guy. I think this might be the way to go this winter as I will be forced to keep my 2stroke equipment outside.

What do you guys think?

Adam

Back