Storing Saws and other 2stoke Equipment for Winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my advise would be to dry saw out by running out of fuel... remove spark plug and spray wd 40 down cylinder to prevent rusting from moisture.... but hay thats just me though....lol:newbie:

overkill. if you can start the equipment once or twice during the winter, don't do anything special for storage. i think you may have a valid storage practice if you are doing it for a few years, but its over the top for one winter IMO.

Hey;

I bought some CRC marine fogging oil and then take off the air filter and spray it into the carb while the engine is idling until it dies from the oil spray, this protects the crank, rod and the bearing.

Then I remove the spark plug and spray the oil into the cylinder with it at TDC, then pull it over a couple of times, this protects the piston rings, then drain out the gas tank, and install a piece of foam in the muffler outlet (keep out the damn stinkbugs).

Then I remove the spark plug and spray the oil into the cylinder with it at TDC, then pull it over a couple of times, this protects the piston rings, then drain out the gas tank, and install a piece of foam in the muffler outlet (keep out the damn stinkbugs).

no ####? stinkbugs huh? I used to live in a duplex and the first year they didn't come. Then the second season they and the Box Elders... man one morning I came outside to get into my truck to go get my trailer and holy crap! Bugs COVERING the sunny side of the house. They kept coming in through my air conditioners. My wife and I learned to live with it. they are harmless.

back to the storage thing, ATVHEAD you really think I should just leave them full No Sta-bil and just run them a couple of times throughout the winter?:chainsawguy:

Adam

my advise would be to dry saw out by running out of fuel... remove spark plug and spray wd 40 down cylinder to prevent rusting from moisture.... but hay thats just me though....lol:newbie:

WD40 is not a good choice IMO...Fogging oil is more approriate. The hydrocarbon used in Wd-40 evaporates and does not leave enough oil to properly protect in my non-scientific, internet based opinion. Seriously siezed up my door hinges before using wd40...

WD40 is not a good choice IMO...Fogging oil is more approriate. The hydrocarbon used in Wd-40 evaporates and does not leave enough oil to properly protect in my non-scientific, internet based opinion. Seriously siezed up my door hinges before using wd40...

I totally agree. WD40 creates more rust than it prevents. It will dissolve rust that is already there, but does not prevent it from coming back.

Any type of medium weight oil will prevent rust.

I have always just gone out and started my saws every month or so. I have heard a lot of praise about the "Seafoam", so I am planning at looking into it.

thats what I have always done. Even my 2 stroke snowmobiles - same thing. Leave them covered outside, all summer, and just fire them up once or twice. Never had an issue. Dont over complicate things.

AV Mix?

I use AV mix and store in a fairly warm basement. Wouldn't it be better to keep seals moist?

I drain and run dry my equipment. Not so much because I am worried about moisture in fuel (which I am) but because the new fuel seems to deteriorate fuel lines. I figure by draining fuel between uses I could potentially double, or triple the lifespan of the fuel lines.

As far as the moisture goes, I drained about a pint of fuel out of a couple of my saws the other day. It had probably been in there for two months which is a little more than I like. I even use marine Stabil. When I dumped the fuel into a cup and let it settle there was more than a tablespoon of water separated at the bottom.

I'll keep running them dry. I haven't caused any damage by doing so, yet.

Possibly because old habits die hard, I always spray fogging oil in my two cycles. I live in two areas and have two cycle engines at both places. Saws, weedwhackers, outboards, sleds etc. I run the tanks dry and pull the plugs, spray fogging oil into the cylinders and turn them over a few times. Never had an issue. For my four strokes, I keep the tanks filled with non-ethanol gas with Stabil. Never have had an issue there either.

Back