Storm Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic687

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We had a storm come through Monday night and do some damage about 25 minutes from my home. On Tuesday I had folks saying Ill bet you get alot of work from that, to which I reply not a single call and I am not going looking either. There are way too many low ball cleanup and I use the term loosely (tree guys) running around with a green chainsaw for me to bother with. This picture was from the local news.View attachment 296654

Yeah it got kind of nasty up that way my FIL had a big limb from a cottonwood break out his skylight, he lives in Swartz Creek so Saturday me and 2 guys i work with are taking it down. He got a quote last year for $3200 but we're doing it for beer and hamburgers and he said he gave me his daughter so....:msp_rolleyes:

I volunteer with some storm clean up groups - can't low ball much lower than free. Photo posted is probably a homeowner or neighbor doing what they can with what they've got.

Some for profit tree services don't like us showing up and helping out, even though, right after a storm there is lots for everyone to do - they feel that we are cutting into 'their' profits. When we have time to talk to the established tree services who really work in the affected areas, we usually come to a quick understanding: we are mostly doing ground clean up, removing trees and limbs from driveways, sidewalks, off lawns, etc.

We leave the larger and technical stuff to professionals who have the training, experience, and equipment. By taking care of the surrounding stuff, they are able to get to the technical stuff more quickly and focus on that. They get plenty of work, and the neighborhood gets cleaned up faster for the residents.

The guys who run around and try to sign everyone up and collect deposits for work that they can't get to for days or weeks really p --- people off. Along with price gougers, and outright rip-off guys. Residents get tired of people ringing their doorbells every 5 minutes (if they still have power).

Don't know you personally, but sounds like you are legit and established in the tree care business. Your skills are needed after these events, and if you want to work, there should be plenty to go around. Emphasize the experience you have, along with any licensing and insurance in a brief flier. Don't oversell or make promises about what insurance or FEMA might cover. Could be some sub contract work with other established tree service companies already on the ground, and could be work from homeowners tired of waiting for the fly-by-nighters to return.

Philbert

I volunteer with some storm clean up groups - can't low ball much lower than free. Photo posted is probably a homeowner or neighbor doing what they can with what they've got.

Some for profit tree services don't like us showing up and helping out, even though, right after a storm there is lots for everyone to do - they feel that we are cutting into 'their' profits. When we have time to talk to the established tree services who really work in the affected areas, we usually come to a quick understanding: we are mostly doing ground clean up, removing trees and limbs from driveways, sidewalks, off lawns, etc.

We leave the larger and technical stuff to professionals who have the training, experience, and equipment. By taking care of the surrounding stuff, they are able to get to the technical stuff more quickly and focus on that. They get plenty of work, and the neighborhood gets cleaned up faster for the residents.

The guys who run around and try to sign everyone up and collect deposits for work that they can't get to for days or weeks really p --- people off. Along with price gougers, and outright rip-off guys. Residents get tired of people ringing their doorbells every 5 minutes (if they still have power).

Don't know you personally, but sounds like you are legit and established in the tree care business. Your skills are needed after these events, and if you want to work, there should be plenty to go around. Emphasize the experience you have, along with any licensing and insurance in a brief flier. Don't oversell or make promises about what insurance or FEMA might cover. Could be some sub contract work with other established tree service companies already on the ground, and could be work from homeowners tired of waiting for the fly-by-nighters to return.

Philbert

I agree with you on helping out and I am always willing to so. In that particular area there are a couple of established tree companys but there are alot of pole climbing, tie a line to it, pull it down guys and leave a mess guys. That pic could be a neighbor for sure but it may be one of our door knockers which we have an abundance of here. Stay safe and good on ya for being willing to donate time and man power a little good will goes a long way and this may be selfish of me but sometimes it fells good to help.

Yeah it got kind of nasty up that way my FIL had a big limb from a cottonwood break out his skylight, he lives in Swartz Creek so Saturday me and 2 guys i work with are taking it down. He got a quote last year for $3200 but we're doing it for beer and hamburgers and he said he gave me his daughter so....:msp_rolleyes:

I was in a tree when the cold front hit Monday and had to make a hasty exit. Have fun with the family this weekend and enjoy slammin that rotten cotton to the ground I hate those weeds.:clap:

We do a lot of storm work but we don't touch the one the hacks already got to and realized they were in way over their head after they started and left a mess and hazards all over the place.

We do a lot of storm work but we don't touch the one the hacks already got to and realized they were in way over their head after they started and left a mess and hazards all over the place.

I guess re-work has it's own sets of challenges, even over storm work? I would not even want to imagine the issues of getting paid when a homeowner has already paid someone else, or thinks that their insurance will cover it . . .

Philbert

Just on principle?

I do a bit of storm work, but not much. I do get calls 4 or 5 times a year from people who have had someone come out to their home and really screw up a job - usually taking out all the needed high points for rigging, collecting 80% of the money, and leaving a near impossible to remove tree with no crane access. Occasionally I even get a call back from someone I quoted who went with a lowballer and learnt the hard way. I quote every job on its merits though, and often win them too. We had one just last month where I'd quoted the job at $1200, it was pretty straightforward. The HO got a hack on at $800 who cut out all the high points and left half the tree which was over the neighbours house. Collected the money with a promise to return and never did.

She called me back with a sob story and I told her I'd take another look. Went and had another look at it and told her the price would be $3,200 now, and I'd need a liability waiver also. The look on her face was priceless. She moaned and carried on about it, but I wouldn't budge. She called back a month later and agreed, 4 other tree companies had declined the job. I wasn't sweating it at all with the waiver. We did the best job we possibly could, but it was risky (for property damage). Luck fell on our side, and we cracked 2 roof tiles. They had spares. Got the job done in half a day and everyone lived happily ever after.

Shaun

Long term response

Generally after a weather event. I don't get a lot of calls, usually the ones I do get are for trees laying across structures or from perennial customers. I respond to those but don't go "door knocking". Generally that is a waste of time, either they don't have money to spend or don't want to spend or know somebody that can do the cleanup. It is two to three weeks later, after the storm event that my phone starts to ring. That is after all the stuff on the ground is picked up, and people have started to notice the damage still in the crown. Monday I did a structural correction pruning and widow maker removal in a town that was hit by an Ice storm three weeks ago and now I have work lined up there for majority of next week. It seems to always work this way for my company...

Back