straight dieseled a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better than the customer who bought a new saw a couple of weeks ago and came back in later the same day raising hell his saw wouldn't start and by gosh wanted it fixed NOW, after popping the flippy cap, it was obvious, he filled the gas tank full of bar oil and successfully cranked it enough to suck it plumb through the carb.

He looked like a freshly neutered sheep after I showed him what he had done. Carb kit and he was on his way, told him we don't charge for stupid the first time around.

-If you put kerosene into your 2-stroke chainsaw engine....you won't burn it up, but you WILL foul the plug. Kerosene has NO octane rating at all, it is "0", and as such introduced into a typical two or four-stroke gasoline engine it will idle, but anything more will produce massive overheating and little power.

There is actually a company that converts 2 stroke engines from glow to diesel:

Performance Model Diesel Engine Components by Davis Diesel Development

Fascinating stuff, I'm sure it is possible to build a diesel chainsaw. The model airplane people are building two-stroke diesels, and the quarter scale planes are usually Quadra or Zenoah engines, chainsaw based. For the diesel, you'll need an electric starter from a model airplane though; You'll never start this just by pulling the cord.

Well, what the heck, that's slick!! Someone here with deep pockets (that would not be me...) needs to do this with a saw engine.

have you ever seen when someone adds a gallon of oil to a 1.5qt system when it was already full?

well it blows out all the seals and makes the generator into a smoke machine..
i loved it i did't even have to look for the house number i seen the smoke from a mile away:hmm3grin2orange:

My FIL gave me his spare spare spare 2 stroke fuel tank for the Stihl 08 once. He had forgotten that he accidently put some diesel into the gas. A military fogging machine is amatures business compared to this. I couldn't even see the blade tip on a 18 inch blade.

The new Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel doesn't have near the lubricity of the old 500PPM stuff.

One reason diesels last longer is they turn a lot less RPMs.

Would that apply to off road coloured diesel? That's what I use in my generator. It still seems the same as it's always been. Don't see any reduction in the oily residue at the end of the 30' long exhuast pipe. Does reducing the sulphur c also reduce the paraffin content?

Agreed that lower rpms contribute to longer engine life.

However, a diesel spinning at 3000 to 3600 will likely outlast a gasoline engine running at the same rpms, in similar service by a fair margin.

Would that apply to off road coloured diesel? That's what I use in my generator. It still seems the same as it's always been. Don't see any reduction in the oily residue at the end of the 30' long exhuast pipe. Does reducing the sulphur c also reduce the paraffin content?

Agreed that lower rpms contribute to longer engine life.

However, a diesel spinning at 3000 to 3600 will likely outlast a gasoline engine running at the same rpms, in similar service by a fair margin.

The off road I buy around here says "may contain x amount of PPM sulfur". I don't think it contains much sulfur because it doesn't smell like the old diesel did.
I add one ounce 2cycle oil per gallon of fuel for lubrication to the injector system. An article I read tested diesel additives and 2 cycle oil was better for lubrication than anything else except bio-diesel.

It happens, I once pumped what I thought was 5qts of 10w30 into a Cadillac.

I went to go "zoom" it, sounded kinda funny.

I learned to always check to make sure the senior tech hasn't switched the pump over to Gal.'s

I also learned that our wheeled oil catch cans don't hold 5 Gal. of oil.
I think you would catch that when your sitting there pumping oil for a couple mins:hmm3grin2orange:

I used to use Diesel in my weed trimmer did not hurt it so I guess a chainsaw would not hurt. just use some sea foam.

I think you would catch that when your sitting there pumping oil for a couple mins:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah you'd think so.:biggrin:
I was most likely filling out the w/o and the sticker. The pump would shut off when it reached the programed amount.
Just one of those days.

The off road I buy around here says "may contain x amount of PPM sulfur". I don't think it contains much sulfur because it doesn't smell like the old diesel did.
I add one ounce 2cycle oil per gallon of fuel for lubrication to the injector system. An article I read tested diesel additives and 2 cycle oil was better for lubrication than anything else except bio-diesel.

Me too!

In 2007 they cut the sulfer content from 500ppm to 15ppm. The Red Off Road fuel shortly followed in the later months. All new equipment after 2010 is tier 4 which has to take the 15ppm diesel. We have a little U35 Kubota mini excavator that has the tier 4 engine, but the rest of our equipment is older stuff.

It sure don't smell like the old stuff for sure. Some of out older equipment is a little cranky in cold weather with this new stuff. I hear the EPA is forcing another drop in the sulfur in the next few years. Great!:msp_sad:

I add one ounce 2cycle oil per gallon of fuel for lubrication to the injector system

Cool,so my backhoe will smell like Klotz r-50
Great tip,thanks

I went to a public auto auction a few years back with some friends, one of the guys was looking for a car. Across the line comes this '83 RX-7 in excellent shape, we hadn't seen it in the lot to look it over, but he bids on it anyway.

He gets the car, pays for it, and takes off down the road. A mile later, before we hop on the interstate, he stops for gas and is about to break down in to tears. We pull up and his car is putting off this consistent BEEEEEEEEEEEP. It sounded just like the buzzer from the game Taboo.

The exhaust smelled like diesel. Apparently someone filled the car up with diesel and instead of draining the tank, they just took the car to auction.

He filled the tank up with 93 octane and floored it up to 80mph, ran 80 the whole way home at 5000rpm in that little car. Never had a problem out of it.

I add one ounce 2cycle oil per gallon of fuel for lubrication to the injector system

Cool,so my backhoe will smell like Klotz r-50
Great tip,thanks

It does work great. I pour a little in my ole 7.3 from time to time.

The equipment doesn't get any thing though. We burn anywhere from 1800 to 2200 gallons of red fuel a month. That would take about 15 gallons of 2 cycle a month! :msp_scared: They do get to drink a little fuel conditioner/anti gel/cetane booster in the winter months though.....

This was always a concern for me,as i don't have any easy access to off road diesel for my 1992 ford 655 hoe.I usually have to run pump diesel with power service additive year round.For the small amount of fuel I go thru in a month a quart or so of 2 cycle oil sounds likes cheap insurance to me!!!

In 2007 they cut the sulfer content from 500ppm to 15ppm. The Red Off Road fuel shortly followed in the later months. All new equipment after 2010 is tier 4 which has to take the 15ppm diesel. We have a little U35 Kubota mini excavator that has the tier 4 engine, but the rest of our equipment is older stuff.

It sure don't smell like the old stuff for sure. Some of out older equipment is a little cranky in cold weather with this new stuff. I hear the EPA is forcing another drop in the sulfur in the next few years. Great!:msp_sad:

According to what I read at I think bobistheoilguy, 2% biodiesel is the best and cheapest lubricity additive. I believe it beat out all the aftermarket stuff in a can.

With that said, I started using the biodiesel blend I found at the local truckstop and I picked up one gear on some hills around here, didn't have to downshift like I was before. I mean, that is in your face noticeable if it is hills you travel all the time. That's my only test, it seems to work a lot better in my 84 datsun diesel. I was buying my diesel from the local station that sells non E pure gas, but the bioblend just worked better. So gas from one station, diesel from another.

Latest posts

Back