Straight gas in new Husqvarna chainsaw! Wrecked? I check and am shocked!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainman1888

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
During a long day of work, I mistakenly grabbed the wrong fuel can out of the toolbox. Then to my horror, I realized my mistake when I refueled again. Why isn't the saw ball-gamed? I don't get it. Its a Husky 562xp, only a few months old. Compression is great, power is normal, piston looks fine. Anybody ever done anything this stupid and had the saw not blow up???? Here is the video

Oh yes. At one point a few years ago I wouldn't allow the ground guys to fuel saws... they burned up a few. I've got better ground guys now lol

Oh they locked up tight. .. pistons melted to the jug. I just realized what your saw is fine... all mine lasted maybe 1 minute in the cut. Running like a top fuel dragster right before they locked...

There must have been some oil in there. NO way you could have run a whole tank of straight gas through it. A couple of minutes is all it takes to toast them things!!!!!!
I am CERTAIN it was the wrong can. Since it was mid-day, it wasn't a topping off... tank was empty for a refuel. I know it absolutely does not seem legitimate or possible... Could it be the autotune? I have no idea.

About 4 years ago I was cutting with my brother. I don't carry raw gas to the woods to prevent straight gas situations, but this time I had forgotten to take a can of raw gas out of the back of the truck. My brother grabbed one of the 346's with about 1/3 of a tank left (I was running Ultra at 50:1 at the time), topped off the tank, ran that tank out, refilled, and the saw finally started acting up with about 1/2 tank left. He brought it to me and we quickly realized he had grabbed the raw gas. The piston had some mild scoring, the cylinder cleaned up very easily and I ran it for several months bf I finally sold it.

I'm sure a trained 2 stroke mechanic will chime in, but they sometimes run tank after tank of straight gas to burn a saw and demonstrate the result when testing and training. It depends on the saw and how it's being run.

That being said you are lucky to still have it in operation

Well, if you had any fuel in the tank at all, you may have been running 200 to 1 or whatever but apparently it wasn't long enough to toast things. Also, sometimes there is residue in the crankcase that can mix in with the straight gas. It was getting oil from somewhere. Glad it didn't roach it.

What fuel were you using?

I used to run VP C12 in my CR250R partly because it was leaded. I'm not saying it would completely compensate for a lack of oil but leaded fuel has a lot more lubricity than pump gas!

Latest posts

Back