how long to blow up with straight gas guess your best

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a big old Stihl Auger setup from a local nursery, that used it for drilling holes for plants, they said they couldn't get it running last fall.
Over the winter, I tore it down and called them back, and said, well I am sorry, but one of your crew must have used straight gas the last time they used it...... It needed piston/cyl/bearings/seals/etc.....

They were shocked, "What do you mean???? We have always used straight gas in that thing.... It says "GAS" on the fuel cap!!!!"

I didn't know what to say. He claimed that they bought it years ago, and have used it for over a decade like that....

WOOOOOWWWW !
and they let theese people drive ? ? ?

Yep, I can believe it takes a while to sieze a well worn enginge because the clearences are already wider than when new. I wonder if it ever got a new or even a cleaned air filter for that trimmer, no telling how loose that piston was before the straight gas.

I'm surprised it died so early. Must have been the continuous WOT that helped. My friend had a very similar model. He bought an old farmhouse on some property. The place came with a riding mower and a gas weed wacker. He ditched his corded version. This spring he said he wanted me to look at it the weed wacker. The pull cord must have jammed because it wouldn't pull over. I mentioned that normally when that happens the engine is seized. I asked if there was a chance he put straight gas in it. Just like FISH said, he says "I've always used straight gas. The cap says shows a symbol for gas". He had 3 acres. About 1.5 acres was grass. He straight gassed it for 3 yrs before it seized. Normal operation would be on and off the throttle though.

well theres no wonder my stuff lasts forever
a little tlc and common sence does amazing things

mike

Oil residue or wide tolerance? What do you think Scott? The gas would have washed the oil pretty soon. What is under the rag?? A ECHO?????

You want a real puzzler try and blow up a Briggs. I ran a 6.5 HP with no oil for over 20 minutes with the governor taken off and it would not blow. I even tried filling the crankcase with 20oz of gasoline and still no blow. When I drained what was left of the gas some king of needle bearing thing fell out. I ended up refilling it with clean 30HD and running it WOT and all it would do is knock, but again no blow.

You want a real puzzler try and blow up a Briggs. I ran a 6.5 HP with no oil for over 20 minutes with the governor taken off and it would not blow. I even tried filling the crankcase with 20oz of gasoline and still no blow. When I drained what was left of the gas some king of needle bearing thing fell out. I ended up refilling it with clean 30HD and running it WOT and all it would do is knock, but again no blow.

i did an old push mower several months ago and it took right at 7 minutes to seize and it seized tight until it cooled and it would pull over but wouldn't restart,, i need to do this again,,its fun:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Thats what we do with demo cars. After all the smashing we toast the engines. You would be surprised the lube coolant would give the bearings. We drained the oil on two 4cyl. cars and added water to one and coolant to the other. Gave up trying to blow the coolant cavalier. Rods blowing apart is better than bearings melting, gotta put a load on the engine.

Thats what we do with demo cars. After all the smashing we toast the engines. You would be surprised the lube coolant would give the bearings. We drained the oil on two 4cyl. cars and added water to one and coolant to the other. Gave up trying to blow the coolant cavalier. Rods blowing apart is better than bearings melting, gotta put a load on the engine.

as you know coolant has an oil base to it

speel chuck might jest kill me

WHEEL NEVRE NO

LOLOL !

I saw a buddy try to kill a 77 f100 300 straight 6 at full rev all day 8 hrs and wouldnt blow
he even had to add fuel durring this venture

mike

I know 8upf150 is jonesin to get back on here since his video crashed AS servers

Back