Straight-Gassed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bite the bullet and run the premix stuff from Stihl, it's more expensive for sure, but I never have to worry about ethanol and I know without a shadow of a doubt that it'll be fresh and of the correct ratio.

I was using my 261 C-M to help clean up my BIL's new property with him this past weekend, he couldn't understand why I wouldn't use his mix haha. I gave in used his bar oil, Stihl orange jug Woodcutter of course.

Ditto on only using my own fuel only.
Red Armor for the mix and all strait gas stays in the 5 gallon jugs. The color does help
The pre-mix has a one gallon jug to live in.

I figured that keeping things in that order would (hopefully) make me notice the difference when I grabbed a jug.
So far.... it 's kept me outta oopsie-ville.
But I don't run a whole lot of fuel these days, so not as much opportunity for my scattered mind to get me into trouble.

My premix is kept in a steel eagle 2 gallon can. My straight gas is in a plastic 5 gallon can. Pretty hard to mix up. Not impossible, but hard

I bite the bullet and run the premix stuff from Stihl, it's more expensive for sure, but I never have to worry about ethanol and I know without a shadow of a doubt that it'll be fresh and of the correct ratio.

I was using my 261 C-M to help clean up my BIL's new property with him this past weekend, he couldn't understand why I wouldn't use his mix haha. I gave in used his bar oil, Stihl orange jug Woodcutter of course.
Grass hopper--He who uses anothers gas mix will soon hear silence from his best saw--The GURU

I have 2.5 gallon poly cans for both straight gas and 2 cycle mix. They are not allowed to sit next to each other and I have both plainly marked. I use Echo Red Armor in the 2 cycle, and 89 octane with Fuel medic for both. When I decide that the fuel is getting old both go in my older SUV or son-in-law's truck.

I have never done it either. I have two dedicated 5 gallon jugs, and a 2 gallon filler jug. When the 5 gallon jugs are empty, I run down to the local airport and fill them with 102LL fuel. I then mix in Amsoil Dominator oil using a 3 oz. Dixie cup, 5 cup fulls per jug. No ethanol, about 40:1. This stuff has a shelf life of at least 2 years and does not need stabilizer. Only bad thing is 10 gallons of this mix costs more than a $50 POS saw. Piece of mind is well worth it. The Dominator has a red color, so it would be completely obvious if somehow I forgot to put it in. I leave it in all my saws, and the carbs never need to be rebuilt, and fuel lines never need to be replaced. The 102LL would probably cause problems with catalytic converters, but I don't have any saws with cats in them.

Latest posts

Back