Straight-Gassed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ambull, what’s LL. Low lead? 102 octane

Yes 102 octane low lead. For some strange reason they won't allow you to put ethanol gas in aircraft, lol. But of course it is perfectly fine for everything else. This gas will never varnish up. It does evaporate quite a bit faster than pump gas.

Yes 102 octane low lead. For some strange reason they won't allow you to put ethanol gas in aircraft, lol. But of course it is perfectly fine for everything else. This gas will never varnish up. It does evaporate quite a bit faster than pump gas.

Oh yea, NavGas/100LL evaporates extremely quickly. When I was learning to fly you were told to pour your pre-flight sample back into the fuel tank, but most just dumped it right on the tarmac as it would evaporate almost instantaneously. Don't tell the EPA lol.

Nope, never straight gassed anything 2-stroke.

I like the 5 gallon military style jerry cans. All of my 5 gallon fuel cans have straight gas in them. I tag each with the purchase date so I can use/rotate accordingly. The lone 5 gallon with 2-stroke mix is labeled as such. The smaller gas cans... the one with the yellow spout is 2-stroke mix (it's the only one with a yellow spout).

I'm not scared of grabbing the wrong can, for I too have a very distinctively different can for pre-mix. What I am afraid of is forgetting to put the oil in the gas upon can fill-up. I always try to put the mix oil in before I head to the gas pump, but I'm getting older and I sometimes forget the weirdest things.

Anyone come up with an idiot-proof way to make sure the oil goes in the gas? Other than looking for dyed gas?

I'm not scared of grabbing the wrong can, for I too have a very distinctively different can for pre-mix. What I am afraid of is forgetting to put the oil in the gas upon can fill-up. I always try to put the mix oil in before I head to the gas pump, but I'm getting older and I sometimes forget the weirdest things.

Anyone come up with an idiot-proof way to make sure the oil goes in the gas? Other than looking for dyed gas?
I keep the oil in my truck and just add it immediately before or after adding gas.

I have never done it either. I have two dedicated 5 gallon jugs, and a 2 gallon filler jug. When the 5 gallon jugs are empty, I run down to the local airport and fill them with 102LL fuel. I then mix in Amsoil Dominator oil using a 3 oz. Dixie cup, 5 cup fulls per jug. No ethanol, about 40:1. This stuff has a shelf life of at least 2 years and does not need stabilizer. Only bad thing is 10 gallons of this mix costs more than a $50 POS saw. Piece of mind is well worth it. The Dominator has a red color, so it would be completely obvious if somehow I forgot to put it in. I leave it in all my saws, and the carbs never need to be rebuilt, and fuel lines never need to be replaced. The 102LL would probably cause problems with catalytic converters, but I don't have any saws with cats in them.

When I had a bunch of saws for sale I used the aviation gas because I could put gas in one and let it set for six months and with no more than six pulls it would crank. At one time I had 35 or 40 saws for sale. Can you imagine getting one out fueling it and the customer wanted to look at 6 or 8 before he left without buying a saw. I was paying $4.60 per gal. and that was 10 or more years ago. Tom

Made it for 56 years this coming March without, hope my record holds til I can`t pick a saw up any longer.
Keep up the good work I'm around the 63 year mark Iv'e found since it was introduced coloured oil Blue, Green, Red or any colour that shows up in the mix helps to know the fuel contains oil our fuel is E free & I find keeping the metal fuel container as full as possible helps with the length of time the fuel stays OK

Keep up the good work I'm around the 63 year mark Iv'e found since it was introduced coloured oil Blue, Green, Red or any colour that shows up in the mix helps to know the fuel contains oil our fuel is E free & I find keeping the metal fuel container as full as possible helps with the length of time the fuel stays OK

One hint/suggestion, I have only one special container for mixed fuel as I run only 40 : 1 in everything two stroke, the container has a special sliding valve for pouring. None of the other gas cans have one so I will never make a mistake. I mix 2.5 gallons at a time, that is enough for two days cutting now that I run mostly 50 cc saws, the bigger saws would eat that can in a day.

I have never straight gassed one yet. I always keep my gas separate and when I’m making new mix the oil goes in right away! Also never let anyone else use my saws or use their mix!

Some years ago, I had a new / unused ECHO weed-eater. It was one of their better ones.

Anyways, I listed it on Craig's List for sale or trade for things that go "boom". I had a guy call me and said that he had a brand-new SIG P-250C pistol in .40 cal. he would trade.

I told him to bring it by and I'd take a look at it. He did so, and it was indeed, brand-new. He liked the ECHO trimmer that I had, and he asked about some cash in addition to the trimmer? I said no problem and I agree to give him $50.00.

I did mention several times that the trimmer was a two-stroke and that it took gas and oil mix. I wanted to make sure that he didn't run straight gas thru it. I'm sure that I told him at least 3 or 4 times to mix oil with the gas.

After we made the trade, and as he was leaving with his new trimmer, he stopped and turned to me and said.........I can run straight gas in this......right? He then got a big smile on his face and thanked me for making sure that he knew how to fuel it properly. We both started laughing.

Latest posts

Back