Strato Engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What exactly is a strato engine? I :chainsaw: the animation. Did it have to do with the EPA? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this engine? I assume they use less gas? Thanks for the posts in advance. :monkey:

Yes it is all per the EPA
As space said, about 35% of the charge of a standard two stroke goes out the exhaust port unburnt. this cuts down on the emissions of this unburnt hydrocarbons and gets much better gas milage. so your assumptions are pretty much correct.

us saw nuts, have not liked them for there resistance to performance moddificaiton

I've been impressed seeing/ using strato saws. Less #### for you to breathe in, more efficient on fuel, both of those are quite legitimate advantages. The 455 and 441 get ragged on alot on this site but they're both good saws, the 441 being a great saw. Of course I haven't worked on a strato saw, so my opinion is subject to change, but performance wise strato is just as good or better when the saws are stock...

What is the difference mechanically that makes it able to get better efficient burn on the fuel? Does Dolmar use this technology? Thanks for the posts:clap:

What I gathered from the animation and description was that since there is no exhaust stroke on a 2 cycle engine, it is difficult to avoid pushing unburnt fuel mix vapor out the exhaust port with the exhaust, so they have devised a mechanism by which a measured amount of straight air is injected into the combustion chamber at just the right time to separate the fuel charge from the exhaust discharge. It seems that if the incoming mix were rich enough to compensate for the fact that there is a bunch of air already in the chamber to mix with the fuel charge, this could be a really clean-burning AND long-lasting engine design. Whether the EPA allows that is well above my pay grade and security clearance level......

I almost regret having bought the 460 instead of the 441, now that I know more about it. Almost. I do like breathing clean air.

Husky 455 rancher.

I have had a 455 rancher since early 2005 and it has ran flawless since it was new and i have cut up a few 55 inch trees as well with it, I run good fuel and oil in it and have no complaints at all, husky is on the fore front with these engines and all saws will have to be like the strato design at some point to meet EPA standards, i would buy another one but would get it with bigger CCs when they come out in the future.

Back