String Trimmer: Stihl FS-55, 80, or 90

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDIYer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:help:
First off... I'm sorry if this should be in one of the equipment forums: I was unable to figure out which forum was better than this since this is not about saws, hot saws, heavy equipment, etc.

Now then... its time to replace my string trimmer. I am upgrading from an ancient weed-eater brand single-line trimmer mostly because the vibration from that thing is killing me. I have settled on Stihl mostly because the dealer is only 3000 yards from my house and they have been extremely helpful (even indulgent) in my questions and visits. Further, I can't find dealers close that deal with anything other than echo and husky. Husky trimmers didn't impress me and Echo carbs aren't adjustable, so they're out.

I want a straight shaft trimmer and the tool will be used around my yard (no commercial duty) but that yard work includes 600+ feet of chain-link to trim next to. So the time on the trimmer is significant. I'm sure the FS-55 has enough power to do the job, but what I am worried about the vibration. The 80 and the 90 both have the better right-hand handles. Once I've spent the extra $70 to step up to the FS-80, though, the FS-90 is just $30 more for the 4mix engine and the solid drive shaft, which opens up the official support for interchangeable gearboxes. So stepping up just to the FS-80 doesn't make that much sense to me. If the FS-55 isnt the tool, then the FS-90 makes the most sense.

So... what I am looking for is a comparison in vibration levels between the FS-55, FS-80, and FS-90. Does anybody have first-hand experience with this? Are there industry sources with independent vibration measurements? Where does one get such data? :dizzy:

Thanks
jtz

:help:
First off... I'm sorry if this should be in one of the equipment forums: I was unable to figure out which forum was better than this since this is not about saws, hot saws, heavy equipment, etc.

Now then... its time to replace my string trimmer. I am upgrading from an ancient weed-eater brand single-line trimmer mostly because the vibration from that thing is killing me. I have settled on Stihl mostly because the dealer is only 3000 yards from my house and they have been extremely helpful (even indulgent) in my questions and visits. Further, I can't find dealers close that deal with anything other than echo and husky. Husky trimmers didn't impress me and Echo carbs aren't adjustable, so they're out.

I want a straight shaft trimmer and the tool will be used around my yard (no commercial duty) but that yard work includes 600+ feet of chain-link to trim next to. So the time on the trimmer is significant. I'm sure the FS-55 has enough power to do the job, but what I am worried about the vibration. The 80 and the 90 both have the better right-hand handles. Once I've spent the extra $70 to step up to the FS-80, though, the FS-90 is just $30 more for the 4mix engine and the solid drive shaft, which opens up the official support for interchangeable gearboxes. So stepping up just to the FS-80 doesn't make that much sense to me. If the FS-55 isnt the tool, then the FS-90 makes the most sense.

So... what I am looking for is a comparison in vibration levels between the FS-55, FS-80, and FS-90. Does anybody have first-hand experience with this? Are there industry sources with independent vibration measurements? Where does one get such data? :dizzy:

Thanks
jtz

I think the new 4mix engones have less vibration and better anti Vibration.

Go with the FS90 and be done with it!

I think the new 4mix engones have less vibration and better anti Vibration.

Go with the FS90 and be done with it!

I don't think there are any independent measurements on vibration. The FS80 has been around for nearly 10 years and will only be around till this fall no more production of them as there are not enough EPA credits for Stihl to continue producing them. If you think you might use the gearbox attachments, or have concerns regarding emissions get the FS90. If you are certain you will not be using the attachments, get the FS80. It's lighter, and while not any more powerful than the 90, it has quicker throttle response and makes a slightly better string trimmer than the 90.

I don't think there are any independent measurements on vibration. The FS80 has been around for nearly 10 years and will only be around till this fall no more production of them as there are not enough EPA credits for Stihl to continue producing them. If you think you might use the gearbox attachments, or have concerns regarding emissions get the FS90. If you are certain you will not be using the attachments, get the FS80. It's lighter, and while not any more powerful than the 90, it has quicker throttle response and makes a slightly better string trimmer than the 90.

The only other reason I could think of to go with the 90 is if you want to do brushcutting. The solid shaft will handle that better. However you can brushcut satisfactorily with the 80. If the shaft does go (mine has not and I have brush cut about 3-4 hours a year on it for the last 2 years) it is replaceable with a solid shaft (which I think makes it an 85).

The 55 is a good machine and will do all the trimming you need. The 80 will be much stronger commercial quality machine that you can brushcut with. The 90 is heavier, quieter and more fuel efficient.

Chain link is no fun to trim against. The line kind of grabs the fence and pulls the head in. If you get the 80 or 90, a good harness helps with comfort and control.

Got the FS-90R, thanks for the advice

Stopped into the Stihl dealer and got the FS-90R last night. Here are my observations so far:

- power is cool!
- reach of straight shaft is cool
- noise signature of this unit is quite tolerable even without muffs, but with the muffs, its a purring cat.
- vibration is quite manageable without gloves...we'll try some gloves next time and see how that helps
- power is cool!
- The stock shoulder strap is too short for my 6'1" barrel-chested frame. Even as long as it could go, the trimmer had a distince nose-down attitude when connected to the strap. Fixing this so that I can use the strap should make the vibration even less of an issue.
- The torque reaction of this unit with straight shaft, more substantial line, and more powerful motor takes some getting used to.
- power is cool!
- This operator will hopefully get faster but last night using the FS-90R for the first time was definitely a learning experience.

Thanks to all for the advice.
jtz

:bowdown:
Stopped into the Stihl dealer and got the FS-90R last night. Here are my observations so far:

- power is cool!
- noise signature of this unit is quite tolerable even without muffs, but with the muffs, its a purring cat.
- vibration is quite manageable without gloves...we'll try some gloves next time and see how that helps
- power is cool!
- The stock shoulder strap is too short for my 6'1" barrel-chested frame. Even as long as it could go, the trimmer had a distince nose-down attitude when connected to the strap. Fixing this so that I can use the strap should make the vibration even less of an issue.
- The torque reaction of this unit with straight shaft, more substantial line, and more powerful motor takes some getting used to.
- power is cool!
- This operator will hopefully get faster but last night using the FS-90R for the first time was definitely a learning experience.

jtz

So, you think the power is cool huh :cheers:

excellent choice.

Ya can't go wrong with that choice even if it seemed like I was steering towards the 80. I sell more 90's than any other unit.

- power is cool!
- power is cool!
- power is cool!

jtz

LOL, you been bit by the power bug! Very venomous! :cheers:
It's all downhill from here JTZ!!!

Latest posts

Back