Stump grinding in frozen ground?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hold of til spring. Grinding in frozen soil causes more wear on your teeth. Specially if your grinding in rocky soils. Small rocks dont get thrown away at the first pass, but stay put and cause more wear.

I say how bad do you need the money , because I run my machines on the hard ground here , we don't have rocky soil here though , but a rock is a rock no matter how warm it is , typically the machine will bust through the frost line with ease , its just the sweep that jams the machines up they cannot push the soil to the side , you need to raise up break it loose and then go for the stump mass...

I say how bad do you need the money , because I run my machines on the hard ground here , we don't have rocky soil here though , but a rock is a rock no matter how warm it is , typically the machine will bust through the frost line with ease , its just the sweep that jams the machines up they cannot push the soil to the side , you need to raise up break it loose and then go for the stump mass...

:agree2:
I will be out today grinding, high of 10 today, stumper will grind it up just fine. Take the grindings and bury my feet for insulation while standing there!

I agree too. Just pass the bottom of the wheel over till you get through the ice which is not as deep as you think it is now unless you are way up north.

We plant many trees with stump grinder dug holes. Just did maybe 10 or so last week. 2 had 60" dia root balls. Makes a real nice backfill too.

its ok we do it all the time the teeth will hold up good its concrete you have to look out for:hmm3grin2orange:

Frozen ground is O.K.- But what about snow, ever try to pickup chips in snow! yuck ! you allmost have to come back in spring anyways to get them all. But if you don't have much snow, grind away sir :)

Frozen ground is O.K.- But what about snow, ever try to pickup chips in snow! yuck ! you allmost have to come back in spring anyways to get them all. But if you don't have much snow, grind away sir :)

If the snow isn't too crusted over and you have a good blower, you just blow an area around the stump clear then cleanup is no more difficult than during mid-summer.

The frozen ground does affect side sweep on my sc252 otherwise, it grinds frozen stumps in frozen ground just fine - just a little bit slower.

Thanks guys, I plan on renting a machine so did not want to bust the thing up and be left on the hook for a bunch of busted teeth. I would rather hold off till spring, but the customer wants it done asap (I bid it about two months ago and figured he changed his mind).

If the snow isn't too crusted over and you have a good blower, you just blow an area around the stump clear then cleanup is no more difficult than during mid-summer.

The frozen ground does affect side sweep on my sc252 otherwise, it grinds frozen stumps in frozen ground just fine - just a little bit slower.

Never thought of that:laugh:- It would still be hard in big drifts and long distances from any access though>

Never thought of that:laugh:- It would still be hard in big drifts and long distances from any access though>

That's when a tracked self-propelled machine would be great. I imagine it would float over the snow just like my tracked mini skid does.

I suppose if I guy absolutely had to get to a stump with a wheeled grinder, there's always the option of using a snowblower to clear a path both to and around the stump.

Personally, I just say 'wait until spring'. Why would anyone need a stump ground that badly in winter - especially if it's covered with snow?

AP

i would rather grind frozen than mud. my duradisk don't care if it's frozen. it just eats.

I've gotta grind one day early next week. Have to finish for the year. Don't want to be grinding on soupy spring lawns, and don't want to be cleaning up a nasty, snowy mess.

Back