Stump Grinding Startup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"And a 660 with a long bar, the most imp tool IMO..." Is this a saw? If so, I was relating to the stumpin' aspect of the job, after checking out the situation. I have had quite a few jobs where the stump was about 6' high still, so I added chopping them down to the quote. I guestimate on that, depending on the diameter of the stump. I did chop down an additional small tree one time with the grinder and then added it to the multiple stumps I ground out that day.

I don't always carry a saw in the rig when grinding, not set up for storage yet. I plan on rebuilding my current dump trailer into a landscape type dump (back 2/3 is dump, front 1/3 platform) with plenty of tool storage. The frame is getting chopped & welded this next week.

Bob

It's a chainsaw a stihl 660, i also have a stihl ms310 for smaller stumps, having done stumps for quite a while with 4 diff grinders over the years, i have found the that cutting them down as low as poss, esp big ones is the secret to grinding plus lots of hp...

I have a tool box on my trlr from tractor supply that i carry extra pockets, teeth, saws, etc, and also a vise mounted on front to make working on saw easier in the field...

Down here i run into a lot of big pine and oak stumps and it is critical to get them cut down low if u want to speed up the process, it is no fun to spend an hour on one stump, u will lose your patience in a hurry LOL....:hmm3grin2orange:

Good luck...

Bob....:cheers:

Rent different grinders for different jobs...if you're only doing a couple stumps in a day rent a cheaper grinder. Larger stumps and more of them get a bigger grinder. As far as charge...if you're renting it charge more per inch. if you end up buying the grinder charge less...since we own a grinder we charge lower if we did a removal for the customer ... maybe $1-$2 an inch. If you rent then find out what kind of profit you wish to make off the stump but stay competitive with other companies.

It's a chainsaw a stihl 660, i also have a stihl ms310 for smaller stumps, having done stumps for quite a while with 4 diff grinders over the years, i have found the that cutting them down as low as poss, esp big ones is the secret to grinding plus lots of hp...

I have a tool box on my trlr from tractor supply that i carry extra pockets, teeth, saws, etc, and also a vise mounted on front to make working on saw easier in the field...

Down here i run into a lot of big pine and oak stumps and it is critical to get them cut down low if u want to speed up the process, it is no fun to spend an hour on one stump, u will lose your patience in a hurry LOL....:hmm3grin2orange:

Good luck...

Bob....:cheers:
the largest i have run into was a pine that was around 50" at the base...Would a saw with (ts 660) with a 36" bar be ideal or overkill?

No such thing as overkill when wrecking stuff...

whether it be a city, house or tree stump. That's another reason I like stumpin', I get paid to wreck stuff. Helps with the PTSD.

Bob

Teeth Sharpening

I'm just getting started ginding stumps and I have been sending the teeth out to be professionally sharpened, but it costs a lot of money. I am using a sandvik wheel and teeth.
Does anyone have any suggestions on if it is better to send them out or spend three hours sharpening them myself?

Thanks, I love this site!

Stumpsgone.com

Don

"And a 660 with a long bar, the most imp tool IMO..." Is this a saw? If so, I was relating to the stumpin' aspect of the job, after checking out the situation. I have had quite a few jobs where the stump was about 6' high still, so I added chopping them down to the quote. I guestimate on that, depending on the diameter of the stump. I did chop down an additional small tree one time with the grinder and then added it to the multiple stumps I ground out that day.

I don't always carry a saw in the rig when grinding, not set up for storage yet. I plan on rebuilding my current dump trailer into a landscape type dump (back 2/3 is dump, front 1/3 platform) with plenty of tool storage. The frame is getting chopped & welded this next week.

Bob

I have Husquavarna 266se (66cc); What is the largest size bar I could get away with on this machine?

Back