Stump removal Water Oak 24" diameter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you would rent a backhoe for $280 but you wouldn't hit someone to grind it for $125?

Yes, because I have to prep for a 20 x 30 foot slab and there are roots everywhere and I have to dig the footers for the mono slab etc. So I have more to do than just remove a stump. ;)

Dug with a backhoe you will have a huge mass of stump and roots that will be a PITA to move and dispose of but you will get more wood out of the ground that way. Any wood left behind will decay and leave a void which you will likely not want beneath the concrete. Have your fill material ready to fill the cavity while you still have the hoe. If you backfill with dirt use the hoe bucket like a hammer to pound/compact or again you will have a void from the settling. Sand is good backfill if water is not going to run under the concrete, saturate, and freeze. Consider climate and location. I would go with a backhoe removal anytime a structure is to be built above.

Dug with a backhoe you will have a huge mass of stump and roots that will be a PITA to move and dispose of but you will get more wood out of the ground that way. Any wood left behind will decay and leave a void which you will likely not want beneath the concrete. Have your fill material ready to fill the cavity while you still have the hoe. If you backfill with dirt use the hoe bucket like a hammer to pound/compact or again you will have a void from the settling. Sand is good backfill if water is not going to run under the concrete, saturate, and freeze. Consider climate and location. I would go with a backhoe removal anytime a structure is to be built above.
My grinder leave no void I can grind it till wood is gone done so many times:)

I see some new posts. I never got to use the backhoe as it would not start and the guy had to get his money back. He said while it was running (the night before), it was too weak to do much good anyhow. I was glad I didn't waste the $$ to share the rent after I heard that. The next day the guy had a larger backhoe or tractor and I didn't bother to ask as I figure when I am ready I will just rent my own. Been busy with other stuff and its over 100 degrees now anyhow so it can wait.

Thanks. I am going to buy a Pick Mattock and give it a workout as I am in no hurry. I can lose a few pounds that way too. :) I see roots going everywhere so I may end up with a bigger job than I was expecting to prepare for concrete. I guess I will finish my carport this winter. LOL. I didn't call that guy yet but as soon I get beat and worn out I have the info.

On the Pick Mattock, what is better for a handle? Fiberglass or wood? Any brands or models that are to be avoided or to seek?

http://www.hkmateasiarov.org/water-oak-tree-root-system/
If you're heart set on doing it yourself, I would buy a wood handle polaski. I think it's more fit for the job you're doing. All of my swinging tools are wood handle. Fiberglass will send reverb through your hands pretty bad. My $.02, option 1, have an excavator come pull it out real quick. 2) like the other guys said, get a stump grinder out there and just explain what you want. If he can't go low enough, find someone else.

If you're heart set on doing it yourself, I would buy a wood handle polaski. I think it's more fit for the job you're doing. All of my swinging tools are wood handle. Fiberglass will send reverb through your hands pretty bad. My $.02, option 1, have an excavator come pull it out real quick. 2) like the other guys said, get a stump grinder out there and just explain what you want. If he can't go low enough, find someone else.
Thanks for the info. Looks like a nice tool to have for many uses. I have been using the shovel, then the water hose to better expose and clean the roots, then the SawZall to cut them. A little bit at a time and eventually I will get it out. I had some other problems recently with lightning damaged electronics so that set me back enough $$ so I have to put the big project on delay anyhow.

You should take pics for us.

I finally got it out...And here is the proof. That was one tough stump! LOL :chop:

Dscf1376rs_zpsjxtermr8.jpg

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: :numberone:

Uggh. If you're struggling this much with a stump, I can only imagine how the garage will turn out.

Not so much struggling but actually working on it when it is about 110 degrees out. I am not building a garage but I did erect the steel building in the pic above. I am not worried about how the "pavillion" will turn out. Soon it will be cooler out and I can work harder on it. ;) Here is the actual stump though.

Dscf1384rs_zpsdupiwe44.jpg

Not so much struggling but actually working on it when it is about 110 degrees out. I am not building a garage but I did erect the steel building in the pic above. I am not worried about how the "pavillion" will turn out. Soon it will be cooler out and I can work harder on it. ;) Here is the actual stump though.

Dscf1384rs_zpsdupiwe44.jpg
I gotta say man if your willing to work that hard and long to save 125 bucks on a 5 minute grind I'll have 6 cords ready for you to split when your done there :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back