Stupid chainsaw tricks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander9727

The Silverback
Reaction score
They say lightening doesn't strike twice........well Tod the mentally challenged arborist has cut the same thumb for the second time with his climbing saw.

I was doing a crown restoration (tree had been topped) on a large silver maple. I had removed the problem branches and was cutting off the stubs left by the hack the last owner hired. It was almost dark, cold and I was on my last cut. The stub had an adventitious sprout on it that slapped me in the face when I cut it. I moved my hand just a little to close to the chain an presto......I get another scar. I put five stitches in it so that I could work today.

Kids don't try this at home......or anywhere else for that matter.

Jeepers, MB and you? :eek:

I think I'm gonna eBay me a set of metal gauntlets, seems that there is something in the air. :confused:

i think you and mb should get rid of your climbing saws,honestly there little death traps

I did something like that a couple years ago, only it was with a bench grinder, and not a chainsaw. Often times I look at that thumb and remember the way it looked and felt.

An excellent reminder of the exposure of one-handed chainsaw operation. Hope it doesnt get to cold in the next few weeks. Bang that thumb good on a cold day it might make your eyes water :)

P_woozel said:
An excellent reminder of the exposure of one-handed chainsaw operation. Hope it doesnt get to cold in the next few weeks. Bang that thumb good on a cold day it might make your eyes water :)

All the stuff all already knew........now if I put that knowledge to use.......

I hit it this morning :cry: I didn't like that at all.

It's funny how in retrospect mishaps seem so obviously avoidable.

It came out fine it seems, considring the options, no tendon damage, not too many stitches, and remember you still have a thumb with no wound. :umpkin:

Ouch!

Once bit twice shy, what next, that thumb to try!

We know you weren't hanging around sucking your thumb anyway.

I do say you are lucky, especially if that is the second chainsaw injury you have had.

I've not had any (though i did cut the pad of my right thumb near off with a hedge shear :O)

Good thing it's so close to the holidays, you were planning on taking a lot of time off anyways.

Need some help geeting through it? If I remember right, your only 7-8 hours away from me. Seems like all my clients up here think it's too cold to work right now, so I'm board!

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer JPS......all we need is some ice and I'll have more work than I can deal with.........Is it bad to hope for a natural disaster? I just like to work......I guess the cause is secondary.:)

This sounds like that last cut of the day syndrone. There have been a few times just lately when the list of things going bad seems to be getting just to long. Like throwing the tie down over the load and hitting the car next door, hitting the only nail in the only place you can make the cut. or my all time favorite standing and taking just one step backwards and falling backwards on your but with a running saw. When these things start to happen , Call the game for rain. I believe that we have to have a good sence for safeness or the first tree we cut would have killed us . Today its 20 below zero here that kind of thumb would bite all day . good luck dave1

Dude, next time you need to loose some weight just eat less pizza, no need to have weight loss operations. Man dont think of how much you cut, think of how much you have left. Its a good reminder for everyone that our favourite noisy toys can bite, Take care mate

Xander,
Can you convert those pics to thumbnails for me? :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Ouch!

Worse than the pain, is trying to work with a hurt digit, What a PITA!

BTW, the tablesaw ain't no picnic either. This from last feb, it grew back :) but still tingly. It was affecting my ability to flip off other drivers for a while.

Back