Stupid Newbie Question Time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyromaniac guy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
ok, since the holidays are over and i now have $50 in bailey's bucks to spend (i have an awesome mother-in-law) i have two questions.

1. are all stihl and dolmar spark plugs universal? i need to buy a few extras (i want one extra for each saw), but i have a problem. when i was cleaning my saws up the other day, i took the spark plugs out and wrote down the numbers of each. they were all different. however, bailey's only has two different plugs listed. one for stihl/dolmar, and one for husky. it can't be that easy, can it?

2. i have two 16" stihl safety chains (green link). is it possible to sharpen or grind these into non-safety (yellow link) chains? my father sharpens all of my chains (but he is going to teach me how this week - don't worry, i have some junk chains to practice on.) what makes a safety chain a safety chain? different raker depth? should i just leave them as safety chains and use them that way?

thanks in advance for the answers....

Safety chain usually has additional metal ramps between the cutters. I wouldn't bother grinding all that down - just use them - they may not cut a lot different to "non-safety" unless your are boring. Exactly which chains do you have?

Saw plugs -Stihl -yep - one covers pretty much everything. I use Bosch WSR6F

Safety chain usually has additional metal ramps between the cutters. I wouldn't bother grinding all that down - just use them - they may not cut a lot different to "non-safety" unless your are boring. Exactly which chains do you have?

Saw plugs -Stihl -yep - one covers pretty much everything. I use Bosch WSR6F

i don't have the chains or boxes with me, so i can only guess. i know they are 16" chains, and i believe they are 67 link rm? i don't do much bore cutting, so i guess i will just leave them alone.

and the bosch plugs were the ones i was thinking of getting.

thanks for the help lake...

Back