Stupidest Repairs Ever Witnessed!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....Guy says he's been running it like this for years!!.....:monkey:

IMG_6371.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Isn't it ironic that someone runs a saw like that for years, and others do everything posible to avoid trouble. And guess who never has a bad coil. LOL It took the guy more time to rig than it would have to replace the wire.

I don't have a picture, but I sent a saw to my brother-in-law down in Mexico. Well, I asked him (through my wife as a translator) if he knew how to adjust the carburator and mix fuel properly...Of course he does...I Even gave him a manual in Spanish...Well, the 3rd time he used it, it died and wouldn't start. He took it to the local mechanico, who proceeded to let him know that it was scuffed and needed a new ring. Since chainsaw parts distributers aren't very common down there, the Mechanico made his own ring out of a piece of cast iron pipe. The saw ran for 30 more minutes(low power) before it finally died permanently. I have the saw in my garage, but have yet to take it down to see the craftsmanship or the condition of the cylinder. When I do, I'll be sure to snap some pics.

I have a '84 Nissan Sentra coupe with 1.7L Diesel affectionately known as "the Beamer" One day while driving home from work it was making a strange clicking sound that increased frequency with speed. I pulled over to have a look and the rear motor mount had finally fell apart and the entire motor/transaxle had dropped down so far that the metal CV boot bands were clicking on the front a-arm brackets. I called a friends brother to come pick me up and take me to the parts store where I bought an endless loop ratchet strap. I proceeded to wrap it around the steering rack and thru the broke motor mount and ratcheted the motor up to where it needed to be. Drove it like that for several months. When the strap stretched, I'd just pop the hood and give it a couple more clicks on the ratchet. Finally ended up fabricating a motor mount for it. (some parts for this car are rarer than hen's teeth.)

Will

I have one of those plug lead repairs here. Someone spliced in a piece of 8mm automotive wire, complete with the plug boot. They did use some cheap vinyl electric tape to insulate the repair....... Saw runs well though.......

100_2369.jpg

I have a customer who brought in a saw the other day and wondered why It wont idle. I found the no spark plug boot or spring clipped to plug. instead they just stripped back the coil wire and wrapped it around the plug. also had a guy mad as a hornet one day claiming the chain I sharpened was so dull it would not cut. he brought in saw to show me and he had put on the chain backwards

My customer brought a STIHL ms192T, said it wasn't running right. The coil was totally loose and the flywheel had worn it down a bunch.
I thought there had to be an air gap for it to even run?

I have a customer who brought in a saw the other day and wondered why It wont idle. I found the no spark plug boot or spring clipped to plug. instead they just stripped back the coil wire and wrapped it around the plug. also had a guy mad as a hornet one day claiming the chain I sharpened was so dull it would not cut. he brought in saw to show me and he had put on the chain backwards

That's some funny stuff!

Would have loved to see Mr. Backwards chain guy's face!

My generator wouldn't start one time. Many cranks and cuss words later and POW! A mouse nest shoots about 20 feet out the exhaust pipe and the motor turns right over. Problem solved!

I bought a MS180 for $35 from a guy who said it had all kinds of starter problems. Got it home, pulled the recoil cover and the flywheel and nut fell on the bench. Oh, he did mention that something was loose in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah I was looking a saw over for a buddy a while back who had rebuilt it himself and said it he did a leak down test on it and it didn't pass so he wondered why. well he forgot to put the decompression plug or valve back in. installed a new one and it passed ha ha

i wish i had some pics of the busted AV mount repairs i've seen :D to bad a couldn't see this thread in the future otherwise i would have snapped some pics. i've seen everything from cylinder covers bungy corded on to fuel tank wrapped in duct tape. heck i've ever seen a piece of string in place of a choke rod. needless to say, the choke was on when i received it :laugh:

A guy brought me an old MTD snowblower with a blown up gearbox and wanted me to fix it. All he did was replace the shear pin with a 16D nail couldnt see why the gearbox gave up.....

Not a repair, but a story of a needed repair.

When I was a mechanic, a doctor/surgeon customer had a 2 year old leased Range Rover. Still under warranty/lease. Driving home from the Hospital, it blew an oil cooler line and puked its oil. He drove 20 miles home and 10 miles to our shop with the oil warning light on and the knocking getting worse.

He left it there before we opened. I tried to pull the dipstick, but it was stuck. I put in 3 qts of oil and started it. Yes it ran! What a racket! I towed it in the shop & drained 3 quarts of oil out! Pulled the oil pan & 2 of the pistons were fused in the cylinders, the con-rods were in pieces.

His excuse was he wanted to get home and needed to get back to work the next day. Never thought to check the oil.

This is an "intelligent" doctor. Ended up costing him around $12k for the replacement BMW made Rover V8 engine & labor. All so he could turn in his lease a few months later.

Bone head with money to burn!

Here's one. I bought a Mantis tiller from a guy still under warranty. He put a new carb on it & it still wouldn't run. I gave him $60 bucks for it with the original carb included. I pulled the new carb, the fuel line was disintegrated ( e10 strikes again!!!!! :blob2:). I replaced the line, put the old carb on, adjusted it, it ran great. Sold it for $200 and sold the new carb for $25.

Not bad for a 15 minute job.

Latest posts

Back