Sugar Maple, Beech or what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Stumbled upon this free tree from a Real Estate Developer close to my house...he says its a beech...others say Maple of some sort.
Here are some pics...the tree has been down about 2 months.
Smelled sort of sweet when I split a piece, although it's lighter, and full of knots & 20161223_144646.jpg 20161223_144539.jpg 20161223_143158.jpg 20161223_154309.jpg 20161223_143145.jpg harder split than my red oak.
I'm kinda stumped.:reading::popcorn2:

Thanks
Reg

I will go out on a limb and say Sycamore...
I want to see more leaves but....That's what some of the shots look like. Sycamore is a difficult firewood. Hard to split, and dries out to light as a feather...They usually grow near creeks but have been used as shade trees on older streets etc.

Joe

Its hard to tell, the bark looks tainted with mildew or old moss. I wouldn't rule out quacking aspen which burns about like cottonwood. Quaking Aspen is soft and would cut easy with a sharp chain and seems to retain most its moisture when dead.

Argghh look like aspen to me. The bright white wood and the leaves on the ground. Beech in the first pictures based on the the colour of the wood but the bark didn't add up.

Back