Suggestions sought. Next Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlankSpanker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Gents, I'm looking to buy a 2nd saw for personal woodcutting use. I've been using a Stihl 029 Farm Boss that I bought new about 18 years ago. I struggled with Homelites before that. I would like a professional grade saw that is at least as light as the 029 (18" bar), yet still enough power to fell and buck some beefy hardwoods. I cut and burn 7 to 8 cords a year, and do a lot of limbing and clearing as well. I know my limitations with a chainsaw, but I'm looking to upgrade beyond homeowner status. Suggestions and/or snarky comments welcome...:popcorn:

Last edited:
A MS441CM R with 25" would be the minimum to make you feel like your dominating those "beefy" hardwoods. If you can wait a little the MS461 looks promising too. And then there's "everything else" to keep you distracted. Good luck in your saw hunt!

My 261 is only three weeks old so im sure I haven't seen it's potential. It also seems to have tons of torque. If I were just cutting firewood, and had to pick one saw, this one would be right at the top of the list.

I bought an MS 290 for cutting firewood with a 20" bar 3/8" pitch and it worked fine until I tried cutting Fir. Not enough power! Now that saw is retired and replaced with an MS 361, WOW!
These saws are easy to find for under $400, they weigh slightly less than the 290 and the quality is 100% better. It cuts that Fir like the 290 cuts Maple, the chips just fly!!

I liked the MS360Pro I had, but it sat a LOT because I went to my 026 first, every time.

My 026 is muffler modded and I have it tuned perfectly to where I can bury the 20" 3/8 .063" setup in ash and it cuts great.

The MS360Pro weighed too much for the little extra power it had over my 026, so I traded it off for a Jeep.

If my 026 won't do it, I pick up my 088. :rock:

My advice? Find people in your area with the saws you're interested in and take them for a test drive. :msp_wink:

We cut approx 350-400 cord a year in a small firewood operation, to replace a 029/290 I'd take a 261, we love ours, we had a Husky 346xpne and when we bought the first 261 ithe 346 hit the road and we picked up another 261, lots of torque, more rugged imho, the 346 is a good saw but in our operation the 261 just fits our needs better, with a 18" bar it will cut with or slightly outcut a 310. We also use a woods ported 460 which spanked our stock 660. If I had to just cut back to two saws it would be the 261 and either a 441 M-tronic or 460. Our 361 has been a fantastic saw, it alone has to be approaching close to 375-400 cord in its life, never had a hiccup. We primarily cut oak and hickory tops and just can't say enough good things about the 261. Husky makes excellent saws, we just don't have a dealer worth a darn close, and have been buying Stihls at the same place for over 30 years and he treats us extremely well. You cannot find a bettter air filteration setup than that on a 261.

Back