Sugihara bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve easy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is the second 32"sugi bar i have had that's done this. First was broken off right by the spikes. Anyone else had this happen?.20201102_180110.jpg20201102_180016.jpg

Never heard of one, very well two. Inclined to say the common factor is the operator, what's being done when they broke.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Have personally NEVER seen any bar break like that through normal use- and I have used some pretty crappy budget bars over the years.
Cannot think of ever seeing one clean break like that, but have seen plenty cracked and or bent at some pretty peculiar angles at about that point- always caused by the "nut behind the but" or a tree doing something the faller was not expecting when the log leaves the stump.

Have personally NEVER seen any bar break like that through normal use- and I have used some pretty crappy budget bars over the years.
Cannot think of ever seeing one clean break like that, but have seen plenty cracked and or bent at some pretty peculiar angles at about that point- always caused by the "nut behind the but" or a tree doing something the faller was not expecting when the log leaves the stump.

You'd think it would atleast bend a bit not just bust clean off. You run any Sugi's Bob? We get them pretty cheap down here it seems

You'd think it would atleast bend a bit not just bust clean off. You run any Sugi's Bob? We get them pretty cheap down here it seems

Yep- and when they bend, they are expensive to replace- so you bend ém straight again..........

And yes, I run several, from 14"up to 36".

Personally I dont think its operator error.
To break a bar like that, would really mess up the mounting point of the saw, what ever saw it was fitted to.
Where did you get it from, I would think they would like to see that and figure out why it did that and replace it.

Clean break like that looks like it could have been an issue with heat treating/ quenching in the manufacture process, picture is difficult to see and read the stress fracture, could you post up a clean clear photo of each side of the break ?
Have a few Sugi bars too and love them.

I thought it could be me leaning on it or something but id expect some funky cuts . I put it in the vise to sharpen? surely it aint that. Its not a falling saw only gets used on the deck. Its spring here dont reckon its the cold its warm as. Think if it was operator error i would be breaking or bending every bar i put on. Hard to see anything by eye on break now, but when fresh you could see shiny bit just under groove about 10mm bit where it had be hanging on. I will put another bar on and see what happens.
Thanks

I thought it could be me leaning on it or something but id expect some funky cuts . I put it in the vise to sharpen? surely it aint that. Its not a falling saw only gets used on the deck. Its spring here dont reckon its the cold its warm as. Think if it was operator error i would be breaking or bending every bar i put on. Hard to see anything by eye on break now, but when fresh you could see shiny bit just under groove about 10mm bit where it had be hanging on. I will put another bar on and see what happens.
Thanks

So only being used for log making on the skid site?
Doesn't spend a lot of time wedged on the back of a skidder somehow, with the bar jammed in somewhere and the powerhead unsupported- or on the back of a ute the same way. bar rigid but powerhead floating?
Fractured and dull steel, then a wee bit of shiny once it finally let go makes me think it is getting repetitive sideways stress just forward of the bucking spikes.
Were these bought new- or off of Trademe? There were a couple of Sugi Hara bars up for grabs on there not that long ago- did you buy someone elses discards?

Couldn’t be more pleased with Sufi Hara bar. Saves a little weight and has not bent with reasonable care. Bending two kind of indicates some bad habits.

Still not so much of a hint of what the saw was doing when the actual break occurred, was it in use, just finishing a cut? Mysteriously happened overnight while the saw was in your garage and you were tucked up in your bed? Went to grab it off the back of the ute at the worksite and had one of those "oh bugger me" moments?

Cutting slubbons off Bob, just finished the cut when i noticed bar was looking a bit odd then just fell apart. No levering or pushing, spend a fair bit of time on a saw so like to have the thing cutting pretty good. Should say the first time this happened was about 3 yrs ago. Was a bugger me not again moment. All bought from a shop in the naki. They sold me a tsumura at the same time as sugi, so put that on skid saw and ordered a oregon for falling saw. I wont jam my saws on any machine i carry them.

And neither of those bars was ever clamped in an Alaskan style mill?
I should have worded that better- not so much jammed and clamped like those ATV mounts that clamp the bar to the vehicle, but the powerhead is unsupported, drive up and down a gravel road to a logging job a few times and the powerhead has been flexing back and forth while the bar has been held rigid- snap goes the bar eventually.
The only way I can see that happening is from repeated sideways flexion- where it is happening, I cannot tell you. Maybe get another sawyer to watch you cutting and see if he can pick it up- I have seen guys "assist" butts off of logs with a flick of the bar and not even know they were doing it.
Tempering and composition will vary between bar makers- maybe Sugi Hara are just not suited to your style and other makes are more forgiving of flex.

And neither of those bars was ever clamped in an Alaskan style mill?
I should have worded that better- not so much jammed and clamped like those ATV mounts that clamp the bar to the vehicle, but the powerhead is unsupported, drive up and down a gravel road to a logging job a few times and the powerhead has been flexing back and forth while the bar has been held rigid- snap goes the bar eventually.
The only way I can see that happening is from repeated sideways flexion- where it is happening, I cannot tell you. Maybe get another sawyer to watch you cutting and see if he can pick it up- I have seen guys "assist" butts off of logs with a flick of the bar and not even know they were doing it.
Tempering and composition will vary between bar makers- maybe Sugi Hara are just not suited to your style and other makes are more forgiving of flex.
I’ve only used Oregon and Stihl bars, and neither commercially, but I know Oregon bars are pretty flexible. I had around 150 pounds slide down a 36 inch power match bar and, despite the tip flexing out about 3 inches out of line, it sprang back as straight and true as an arrow.

Back