Sugihara chainsaw bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roland, you know of a distributor/dealer here in the Benelux, or just got it on ebay? Googled a bit with negative results.

Lex

Lex, a friend collector of mine works with a dealer and he ordered it for me at a real good price. I will try to find out who his supplier is and let you know.

Sugihara 20" Bar

I have the bar from16" 20" and 25" and the answer to your is the bar is lighter and a better bar than the Stihl.

There is a saying ( if it sounds to good to be true it"s not ).

There is a Sugihara bar store on eBay that is selling the bar at a give away price. This time it true.
:rock:

JR:chainsaw:

I blended the "Stihl" mount Sugihara to my Jonsered and Solo the same way I blended the Stihl mount bars to my Homelites. Take a nut and drill the threads out to a slip fit over the bar mount stud and grind the flats to slip fit into the Stihl sized bar slot. Grind the nut to the same width as the bar....Works well.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I understand that the really long ones doesn't have more "weight relieve" than the somewhat shorter ones? :confused:

You're exactly right Sawtroll :cheers: See below...

huh?

based on what?

I bought a couple of the 32" Sugiharas and the weight savings over a standard 32" GB Pro Top or Oregon Power Match Plus was less than 5%. I started a thread on it - beautiful bars but in the longer lengths the weight savings don't live up to the hype.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=111195&highlight=sugihara

I have never tried one of these bars, but the price does'nt seem near as high as most aftermarket brands. Especially the RW type.

I may try one myself. I hear they don't bolt up to the PH too solid. Jjust hearsay but I would like to know from someone who has tried one. I hear the mounting brackets are POS.

I have never tried one of these bars, but the price does'nt seem near as high as most aftermarket brands. Especially the RW type.

I may try one myself. I hear they don't bolt up to the PH too solid. Jjust hearsay but I would like to know from someone who has tried one. I hear the mounting brackets are POS.

I just bought two, 16" for 346 and 18" for 357. $49 each shipped. Excellent quality and no problem with mounting.

The 16" is about the same weight as the laminated Husky bar, but the 18" is a pound lighter than the solid 20" Husky bar.

I have no regrets :cheers:

Last edited:
I just received a Sugi Hara 25" Bar for my MS460 from HEV Inc. out of Fresno, CA. The bar weights in at 2.79 lbs. VS Stihl's ES bar at 3.67 lbs. That's .88 lbs. (14.67 ozs.) or 24% less and you can feel it. It was $61.87 shipped. The only thing I don't like is having to add a drive link (85 instead of 84) to use a 8-Tooth Sprocket because the indicating holes are a little different. Always wondered why someone didn't put holes in the middle of the bar to save weight. I'm trying it out tomorrow on a 4-foot Lodge-pole Pine. I'm hoping there isn't any flexing problems in that soft wood.
OOPS..the shipping was $11.25 which makes it $73.12..still worth the weight difference.

Last edited:
I've had my 28" Sugi for about six months now, and have run it a LOT, and on several saws of several makes. It is noticeably both lighter and stiffer than the Carlton I have in the same size. The spacers are a bit irritating, yes, but ONLY when getting the bar on and off of the P/H. Otherwise I have had zero complaints with the bar, and intend to buy a 36" soon.

I may try one myself. I hear they don't bolt up to the PH too solid. Jjust hearsay but I would like to know from someone who has tried one. I hear the mounting brackets are POS.[/QUOTE]

The above is a quote from post #50. Sorry for the lack of not knowing how to post.

This bar bolts right up to my MS460 just like the OEM one does. Only difference is the adjusting pin holes are farther inboard which puts the bar into the saw more, making better contact and closer to the sprocket. My only beef about that is I have to add a driver to the chain to use my 8-Tooth Sprocket.

I put a new Oregon 72JGX 84D on this bar and cut most of the day with it. At first my cuts were diving to the right but I think there was something going on with the chain because it straightened up after about 7 cuts into 40" rounds. The bars works as advertised, at least on the 25", and the weight savings helps my back!

Last edited:

I don't use their spacers, I do as I've posted before and you can make that spacer slip fit tight if you want..relatively easily. Following is a Stihl to Homelite blend, but the problem is the same for Sugihara's as they are Stihl mounts.

attachment.php

I blended the "Stihl" mount Sugihara to my Jonsered and Solo the same way I blended the Stihl mount bars to my Homelites. Take a nut and drill the threads out to a slip fit over the bar mount stud and grind the flats to slip fit into the Stihl sized bar slot. Grind the nut to the same width as the bar....Works well.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I would be curious how these work & wear relative to other pro level bars and reduced weight bars such as the Husqvarna Techlite & Pro lite bars in the smaller sizes and those Oregon Reduced Weight bars on the larger sizes.

Back