Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is always a "hunting season" up here and I carry a sidearm during "hunting season". I find a loaded firearm strapped to your hip, in plain view, quite effective. Peeling back three layers of clothing to get at a concealed weapon is time consuming, especially in the colder months, which is every month except July.:)
Like that moose all strapped up ! LOL

AZ, when I lived out there was open carry.....matter of fact it was more of a fashion statement with what and how much you carried......when going into a bar you had to check your gun with the bartender....he/she put it with the others on a shelf behind the bar in plain sight....you drank your fill...paid your bill...called for your gun and away you went....simple as that. The biker and cowboy crowd had a signal......if they had a bandanna hanging out of the lefthand rear jeans pocket......that meant there was backup iron in there....besides the checked gun...usually a throwaway .25....but backup and loaded.. When I first got there and went out with friends bar hopping I immediately noticed EVERYONE had guns.....girls, ol' timers you name it......I didn't........I was not long taking care of that...funny thing is with all those guns everywhere....you never heard of any gun related violence....never saw any of that big guy little guy **** you might see around drinking holes either....everyone was quite respectful of one another....

I thot I was bad liking it 80 deg "F" inside !! LOL !!

i could go to the shop and turn the heat on,,gets really warm in there easy :)

Didn`t really mean for it to get over 80 in here but I loaded er a little heavy and left the air out too far while I was out to the PO and store, only gone bout 30 mins but that 5 year cured beech can throw a lot of BTU`s in a short time. Just closed down the air and opened the door and one big window and it cooled down in less than 5 min.....LOL

I like the way to preheat the 353. We have one that I've started with out any aid down to 16*F. If nothing else on this yard will start.. I'd put money on that roller. You'll hear it a mile off too.. straight exhaust but it's a warrior!
Yep my 453 in the sawmill starts good down to just about zero......below that and I had a small 1.8KW lug around genset that I plug the base heater into....again about 45 mins and she takes right off at -10....that motor is fresh and doesn't smoke when started cold like the old Timberjack....

AZ, when I lived out there was open carry.....matter of fact it was more of a fashion statement with what and how much you carried......when going into a bar you had to check your gun with the bartender....he/she put it with the others on a shelf behind the bar in plain sight....you drank your fill...paid your bill...called for your gun and away you went....simple as that. The biker and cowboy crowd had a signal......if they had a bandanna hanging out of the lefthand rear jeans pocket......that meant there was backup iron in there....besides the checked gun...usually a throwaway .25....but backup and loaded.. When I first got there and went out with friends bar hopping I immediately noticed EVERYONE had guns.....girls, ol' timers you name it......I didn't........I was not long taking care of that...funny thing is with all those guns everywhere....you never heard of any gun related violence....never saw any of that big guy little guy **** you might see around drinking holes either....everyone was quite respectful of one another....

Isn't that funny how that worked out?!

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/robertahe100989.html#aLu7bfDvHWuC6zix.99

Yeah...diesel stuff just don't like it below zero.....plugging them in works good....had a diesel car hooked up to a timer set to come on at 4:00AM...she always started right up and ran great...quiet and didn't smoke...plus the heater was already warm. But if you are beyond electrical service other measures are required....my old GMC pickup had quik connects in the heater lines and we had an old Timberjack that had them too.....drive right up plug them together...leave the truck running......have a cup of coffee.....get your gear ready..saws, tools fuel, file etc....about half- three quarters of an hour and that worn out old 353 Detroit would start right up at -20.........you could tell where she was in the woods by the cloud of blue smoke....looked like a jack-fir brush fire......but she always went....

One of the funniest rigs I've seen...though it worked very well....was on a big 4WD Belarus tractor.......beside glow plugs it had a small "smudge pot" in the engine compartment which burnt K1 or diesel that you lit and it heated the bottom of the intake manifold......low tech.... but would do the trick if the batteries were up to snuff...

There is a little more to running hydraulic in the cold than just getting them to start. The cold is really hard on the shaft seals so we would cover the machine overnight or during a long downtime spell and just light the propane sally underneath the machine, let it run 30 min or so and all the frost will be drawn from the cylinders,seals and lines. This used to help the seals and packings last for many years of harsh operating conditions. On one job back in 87 one of our subs didn`t believe in preheating and just flashed up his 3 month old Cat 300 series and would start digging, after 3 days of -18....-22F temps he started up first thing in the morning and within 5 mins of startup drove the bucket down into 28" of solid frost , the top boom ram shaft snapped clear off straight across with a nice crack sound. A 3" dia solid chomium steel shaft snapped like a toothpick. The look an his face was precious, the hit in his wallet canceled any profit he made on the whole job.

Snow's picking up pretty good now......farrier just called......we both thought another day would be better for all three of us!! Hoss's feet are not in bad shape anyway. He's on a 8 week schedule. Guess I'll go up and tuck him in for the night while I can still see. BBL....
Travel safe out there buddy.

Went out and shoveled off the little back porch step. Getting dam cold out there in the wind ! That is the only spot I shovel round here ! LOL Broom usually works , but hadn't swept it today,bout 3" is all. Small drifts in the driveway when I went out to meet the mail lady in my tennis shoes ! What a dumas move that was ! :confused:
Better in tennis shoes than crocks.....

Yeah...diesel stuff just don't like it below zero.....plugging them in works good....had a diesel car hooked up to a timer set to come on at 4:00AM...she always started right up and ran great...quiet and didn't smoke...plus the heater was already warm. But if you are beyond electrical service other measures are required....my old GMC pickup had quik connects in the heater lines and we had an old Timberjack that had them too.....drive right up plug them together...leave the truck running......have a cup of coffee.....get your gear ready..saws, tools fuel, file etc....about half- three quarters of an hour and that worn out old 353 Detroit would start right up at -20.........you could tell where she was in the woods by the cloud of blue smoke....looked like a jack-fir brush fire......but she always went....

One of the funniest rigs I've seen...though it worked very well....was on a big 4WD Belarus tractor.......beside glow plugs it had a small "smudge pot" in the engine compartment which burnt K1 or diesel that you lit and it heated the bottom of the intake manifold......low tech.... but would do the trick if the batteries were up to snuff...
Unimog had the same "smudge pot" option.

Latest posts

Back